The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Subject Esq. / Sahara

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

Subject Esq. / Sahara Empty
PostSubject: Subject Esq. / Sahara   Subject Esq. / Sahara I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 10:28 pm

Subject Esq. / Sahara Front
Subject Esq. were a little known German (I think) progressive act from the early 70's, who put out this one album. Their music drew elements of many other prog bands at the time, mainly Jethro Tull and Yes, but had a very distinct style about it. It combined the folk/renaissance and prominent flute of Jethro Tull with the complex arrangements and symphonic elements of Yes, both on the instrumental tracks such as "5:13" or tracks with vocals such as the hard-rocking "Alone", which featured an excellent guitar/organ hook. If you can get your hands on it, pick it up, as it's a forgotten, unpolished gem of the genre.

The band morphed into another progressive group in the mid 70's known as Sahara, who released two more albums that had a sound reminiscent of the Subject Esq. album.
Subject Esq. / Sahara Cover_33559482009Subject Esq. / Sahara Sahara
The sidelong title track of "Sunrise" is a stirring masterpiece, right up there with epics like "Thick As A Brick" and "Close To The Edge". It's essential listening for any prog rocker. Of course the rest of the album also proved that they were not one trick ponies, as would be demonstrated on their second and sadly final release, "For All The Clowns". This one is more straight-forward rock, but it still has a large injection of progressive elements, containing a variety of musical styles.

Subject Esq./Sahara were groups that had such vast potential, but due to the oversaturation of this genre in the early to mid 70's, they were shuffled quietly under the radar and have gotten little recognition (despite "Sunrise" becoming a cult classic of sorts). Shame, as their few releases are quite enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Subject Esq. / Sahara   Subject Esq. / Sahara I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 12:41 am

Finally someone else who knows these two bands! Both great albums but I prefer Sahara. I also like Samurai, Indian Summer, Alcatraz (not the Malmsteen group), Bloody Mary, Brian Davidson's Every Which Way, Indian Summer, Sweet Smoke, Riff Raff...I could go on forever naming 70's underground Prog and Jazz Rock bands I like but I'll stop there.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Subject Esq. / Sahara   Subject Esq. / Sahara I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 4:30 am

Special Guest, you need to check out Sweet Smoke-Just A Poke, it's more of a Jazzier Rock w/Prog elements...

With all the Prog played on these boards I would think somebody else might delve into Sahara.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Subject Esq. / Sahara   Subject Esq. / Sahara I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 12:49 pm

I"ll be on the lookout for these, thanks!

Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Subject Esq. / Sahara   Subject Esq. / Sahara I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 11:05 pm

I need to dig out those albums and listen to them again! I really do enjoy them!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Subject Esq. / Sahara   Subject Esq. / Sahara I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Subject Esq. / Sahara
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Workshop :: Thick As A Brick :: Dr. Music-
Jump to: