The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gonna vent a little...

Go down 
+4
gershom
Akeldama
DeathCult
Cruel Angel
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Cruel Angel
Haunter Of The Dark
Cruel Angel

Gonna vent a little... Empty
PostSubject: Gonna vent a little...   Gonna vent a little... I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 6:12 pm

One of my many pet peeves is when you have people in authority positions over others, and they have absolutely no concept of how to work with their subordinates (outside of the general "I need you to do something, do it"). These are the ones that love to give the orders, get the bigger paycheck, etc. and feel no other responsibility in regard to the people they are in charge of. You have the ones with egos, play favorites, delegate way more work to others that is actually part of their own job position to do, rigid or unfair views when it comes to employee evaluations... these are the ones you shake your head and wonder how someone got into that position when it seems they got absolute jack for leadership training nor people skills.

Well, I heard about this one yesterday, and boy did it really piss me off.

For background, a lot of times civil service personnel are treated as 2nd class citizens by the actual military employees... if there are issues, military will back military and the civilians are stuck.

So here we go... pretend you are a Colonel presiding over a meeting with your squadron commanders (usually Majors and Captains) and some civilian personnel.
During the meeting, one of the civilians cell phone starts going off. He keeps fumbling with it, trying to silence it, but he can't get it to stop. He gets up to leave the room so as not to further disrupt the meeting. He does not return.

Ok, you are the Colonel. What do you think in regards to the employee? Would you not be bothered with the interruption and not care? Would you feel something should be said to him concerning 'meeting etiquette'- if so, who? Would you do it? In what manner? Easy going? Polite? Stern? Threatening? Would you mention something to his supervisor? Again, in what manner? Might you not even say anything, knowing that someone else will probably mention something to him later?

Well, what the Colonel did after the employee left the room was quite clear... he turned to the guy's supervisor and demanded him to fire the employee. No if's, and's or but's. To his credit, the supervisor was a bit more conscientious, and tried to get the Colonel to calm down, and let him try to find out why he had forgotten to silence his phone, etc. Colonel was having none of it. Shouldn't have happened, should have known better, no excuse. Period.

So, what do you think of the Colonel's response? Would you have thought along those same lines? Did the Colonel blow everything out of proportion?

And now for your perusal... the other side of the story that the Colonel had no interest in when he decided to terminate the employee.

When the guy and his family got their cell phones, they had a setup to where in case of emergency, someone could key in a code when dialing, and the phone on the other end would keep ringing no matter what you did on the other end until someone took the call.

The phone call was from his wife, who was calling en route to the hospital. She had just heard that their daughter who was 8 months pregnant had slipped and fallen while taking a shower, and was being rushed to the hospital because there were internal injuries.

The daughter ended up losing the baby.

So imagine being the father and going through all that, then coming back to work and your supervisor tells you the Colonel is having you fired for your cell phone going off, and didn't seem to care about any explanation or excuse.

Again, the supervisor goes to bat for his employee (which is rather uncommon in this day and age). He gets to the Colonel and is able to get the story out. Apparently, the Colonel was able to calm down and back off of the firing thing.

Personally, I would hope that the Colonel would have taken a step back to consider his actions and realized how much of a major asshole he was for not even considering there might have been a good reason. Hell, even an apology to the guy would not be inappropriate.

Somehow, I doubt that happened.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Gonna vent a little...   Gonna vent a little... I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 6:43 pm

What an asshole, and I doubt he apologized either. Immediate termination is a step way too far in the first place. If anything, you should find out what caused it, then take action from there, or at least warn him first.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Gonna vent a little...   Gonna vent a little... I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 10:54 pm

I've had a bad case of male PMS lately and it's compounded by all the shit at work, I'll expound later when the dust settles.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Gonna vent a little...   Gonna vent a little... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 8:49 pm

Motherfuck! My supervisor got busted sending some of us (state workers at a college) to do some work at the state police dept. and was put on admin. leave & had his keys confiscated. 97 % of the time that results in termination but the fucker got his job back, I always but heads with hin b/c I take no shit from no one and I can't believe after countless complaints, grievances, write-ups, hellacious violations and a couple of sexual harrassment charges the piece of shit ass hat is still around, fuck Adams State College!
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Gonna vent a little...   Gonna vent a little... I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 3:42 pm

Stupid bastards, my cable provider is for crap, my phone, internet, and cable are down for the whole weekend and they are going to start charging more for the shit service we have been receiving lately, no cartoons all weekend, now I have to entertain my kids some other way like spending time with them? Shit. And my wife is cranky being cut off from the world of facebook, double shit. I sucks working the weekend, but I'm kinda glad for it too, strange. Life is weird like that.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Gonna vent a little...   Gonna vent a little... I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 3:46 pm

Work: a place to get away from the daddy this, daddy that; honey do this, honey do that bullshit.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Gonna vent a little...   Gonna vent a little... I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 3:49 pm

Home: A place to get away from the shithead do this, shithead do that bullshit.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Gonna vent a little...   Gonna vent a little... I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 4:21 pm

I went a weekend without internet recently, I went to museums and took walks and played guitar...you know, normal shit people are too lazy to do because of the internet.

They still have any video stores in your area? Go rent something. LOL

Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Gonna vent a little...   Gonna vent a little... I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 4:46 pm

Yeah, we got lots of great movies just collecting dust, netflix freaking spoils a bastard kinda like the I-pod spoils a person who never again has to carry around their albums. It's nice not to hear the damn phone ringing, I hate phones, and no mother in law talking and talking and talking, even my wife gets annoyed with that, I just tell her not to freaking answer it. But yeah thanks guys for the advice and all, I hate seeing what a lazy and spoiled humanity really is, talk about a kick in the teeth.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Gonna vent a little...   Gonna vent a little... I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 3:30 pm

We had a power outtage in the neighborhood last week during a heatwave. Too many air conditioners running I guess. It was only 2 hours, but man, did it feel weird to have no power for that time.

No AC, no computers, no tv, just darkness. Even with a coupla candles, it was too dark to read and having the added bonus of not knowing what was going on with the electricity or when it would return just made things worse.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Gonna vent a little...   Gonna vent a little... I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 3:38 pm

Remember the Twilight Zone episode "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street"?

That's the one where the aliens shut off the electricity and the suburban neighborhood devolves into chaos in a very short period of time. Not unlikely actually, especially in our uber paranoid culture.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Gonna vent a little...   Gonna vent a little... I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 3:43 pm

Quote :
That's the one where the aliens shut off the electricity and the suburban neighborhood devolves into chaos in a very short period of time. Not unlikely actually, especially in our uber paranoid culture.

Oh I could totally see that happening real quick.

Luckily for us, it wasn't a total area blackout. I could see street lights a few blocks down. It was just our grid. Far as I could tell it was just a 2 or 3 block radius. Too bad for the people living right on the dividing line. They're out while the people right across the street are fine.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Gonna vent a little...   Gonna vent a little... I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 4:00 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

Oh I could totally see that happening real quick.

Luckily for us, it wasn't a total area blackout. I could see street lights a few blocks down. It was just our grid. Far as I could tell it was just a 2 or 3 block radius. Too bad for the people living right on the dividing line. They're out while the people right across the street are fine.

Home invasions for A/C will run rampant.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Gonna vent a little...   Gonna vent a little... I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 5:43 pm

Sometimes life shits all over a person and your just expected to stand there and take it, sometimes feeling sorry for someone just gets annoying and you just want to punch some common sense and compassion into there stubborn ass. Seems like everyone else gets to vent there shit on me, but I'm an asshole for saying anything. What the Hell??
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Gonna vent a little...   Gonna vent a little... I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 9:19 pm

Just kick their asses out man.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Gonna vent a little...   Gonna vent a little... I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 12:56 am

Akeldama wrote:

Allready in the process man, now it's the suicidal wife I'm dealing with, crazy shit man.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Gonna vent a little...   Gonna vent a little... I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 1:46 pm

gershom wrote:
Akeldama wrote:

Allready in the process man, now it's the suicidal wife I'm dealing with, crazy shit man.

Damn dude, now I guess it's your turn to deal w/a shit load of family issues...
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Gonna vent a little...   Gonna vent a little... I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 2:13 pm

Having no family nearby can also be an issue, at least it seems to be on my mind alot recently.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Gonna vent a little...   Gonna vent a little... I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 6:04 pm

S.D. wrote:
Having no family nearby can also be an issue, at least it seems to be on my mind alot recently.

I know what you mean man, sometimes I feel I need a separation from family but when we are separated I miss them a shit load, it sometimes sucks either way. At least I got my wife to stop from killing herself, she's supposed to be on anti-depressant meds and decided to stop taking them, and that was not good. So within the last few days I have twice had to stop her from sitting in our garage sucking down exhaust fumes. Talk about crazy shit, glad to say I got her back on her meds and all is, well not better, but getting better.

Yeah but back to what you were saying man, it is hard being away from family, even if you make some pretty good friends, it's not the same, they can't really replace family.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Gonna vent a little...   Gonna vent a little... I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 6:30 pm

I've lived away from my family for most of my adult life, so I'm used to it in some ways, but it's hard when they are all the way on the opposite side of the country...loneliness can set in rather easily.

Friends are helping, but it can still be tough, especially when you are feeling down in the first place.

I hope your wife seeks help and gets some peace, I unfortunately know what she's going through and it's not easy.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Gonna vent a little...   Gonna vent a little... I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 6:54 pm

Man Leroy, I thought it was your houseguest's wife not yours, man dude let me know if you need anything.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Gonna vent a little...   Gonna vent a little... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 8:34 am

Hey thanks guys, I didn't mean to throw my shit out here for others to step in but I got nowhere else really, that actually sounds kinda pathetic I know, but oh well.

S.D. just keep in contact with family man, I know that's not the same, but phone calls or letters/e-mail might help some. Hell I got a brother in prison I never get to see, I can't afford to go see him so I thankfully can e-mail him and he can write me, and it's not the same as hanging out with my bro, but at least some contact is better then none, I'm not saying you don't keep in contact with your kin man, I'm just saying don't let the bond slip, even they miss you I bet.

Yeah my wife is going to start seeing her counselor again, hell I'd rather her bitch at someone who's paid to listen then catch the brunt of it myself, so that's cool, and I glad she got back on her meds cause I swear it was like watching the Hulk transform back in to Banner, now she's all call and shit, we downloaded "Puss in Boots" and watched it with the kids last night, and it was like we were a family again, now I'm just waiting for house guest to leave, I gave them till the end of the month, the problems started when they came, I don't mean to be an asshole, but my family comes first. Crazy.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Gonna vent a little...   Gonna vent a little... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 8:14 pm

Living rent free, food free, everything free makes you the exact oppopsite of an asshole. I'm glad you gave them the warning to leave though, they became a cancer to your goils.
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: Gonna vent a little...   Gonna vent a little... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 8:27 pm

gershom wrote:
Hey thanks guys, I didn't mean to throw my shit out here for others to step in but I got nowhere else really, that actually sounds kinda pathetic I know, but oh well.

S.D. just keep in contact with family man, I know that's not the same, but phone calls or letters/e-mail might help some. Hell I got a brother in prison I never get to see, I can't afford to go see him so I thankfully can e-mail him and he can write me, and it's not the same as hanging out with my bro, but at least some contact is better then none, I'm not saying you don't keep in contact with your kin man, I'm just saying don't let the bond slip, even they miss you I bet.

Yeah my wife is going to start seeing her counselor again, hell I'd rather her bitch at someone who's paid to listen then catch the brunt of it myself, so that's cool, and I glad she got back on her meds cause I swear it was like watching the Hulk transform back in to Banner, now she's all call and shit, we downloaded "Puss in Boots" and watched it with the kids last night, and it was like we were a family again, now I'm just waiting for house guest to leave, I gave them till the end of the month, the problems started when they came, I don't mean to be an asshole, but my family comes first. Crazy.

Wow, just wow! I really hope your wife gets the help she needs. Hang in there dude!
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Gonna vent a little...   Gonna vent a little... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 9:23 pm

Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gonna vent a little...   Gonna vent a little... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gonna vent a little...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next