The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves...

Go down 
+2
Special Guest
S.D.
6 posters
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves... Empty
PostSubject: JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves...   JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves... I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 1:19 am

JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves... JethroTull

I've been listeng to Tull since I was a kid, began to appreciate them during the 80's, finally understood their genius during the 90's and now they are part of my DNA. Will write some opinions of their albums in a bit.

For now...any fans?

Last edited by S.D. on Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

PostSubject: Re: JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves...   JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves... I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 6:45 pm

Love them. Ian Anderson is a genius. Aqualung, Stormwatch, and especially Thick As A Brick are my favorites by them!

BTW, shouldn't this be in "Prog-Rock Wonderland"?
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves...   JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves... I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 11:22 pm

LOL

Yeah, I'm moving it.
Back to top Go down
manny

manny

PostSubject: Re: JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves...   JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves... I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 6:47 pm

As I have gotten older I grown to like Jethro Tull more and more.

The band had so many different shades and colors to their music.

Favs:

Stand Up
Thick as A Brick
Songs from the Wood
Crest of Knave and many many others
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves...   JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves... I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 8:52 pm

Tull didn't really click all the way with me until Detuned got me into them more. I really dig Aqualung, Thick As A Brick, and Living In The Past. Other then that, I haven't gotten too far into them, but what I have heard me likey alot.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves...   JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves... I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 11:20 am

I'm not a fan of Tull's "entire" career, but even though I don't find the majority of their work since the 80's to be as stimulating...their run of albums from 1968-1980 was a damn impressive 12 year stretch. Nobody else sounded like them.

Everyone knows Aqualung, but don't assume that's the only worthwhile record....
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves...   JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves... I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 7:17 pm

I'm a fan of Tull but I rarely listen to them but I don't know why. I agree thet from '68-'80 they were amazing!
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves...   JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves... I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 8:43 pm

For Tull Fans...they have finally released the Madison Square Garden concert from 1978 on DVD. Some of the video footage is missing, so the first few songs are audio only...and the last few songs are audio only (only the section that was broadcast survives)...but this is a classic show from the Heavy Horses tour

Well worth getting.
Back to top Go down
manny

manny

PostSubject: Re: JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves...   JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves... I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 4:22 pm

I need to grab that DVD, the next few Tull CD's I am going to buy in the next few monts are:

Stand Up
A Passion Play
A
Living in the Past
This Was
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves...   JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves... I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 9:50 pm

manny wrote:
I need to grab that DVD, the next few Tull CD's I am going to buy in the next few monts are:

Stand Up
A Passion Play
A
Living in the Past
This Was

I'd change that purchase order to:

Stand Up
This Was
Living In The Past
A Passion Play
A

also, if you don't have Minstrel In the Gallery, Songs From The Wood and Heavy Horses yet...all three of those albums should go on that list before considering "A".

ONLY BUY THE REMASTERS!!!! They are all cheap and all have bonus tracks and sound 100% better than the early CD releases.
Back to top Go down
manny

manny

PostSubject: Re: JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves...   JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 2:04 pm

I did not know the Jethro Tull catalog had been remastered I just thought it was 'Aqualung' thanks for the heads up.

I have 'Songs from the Wood' on CD and 'Heavy Horses' on vinyl and both are excellent albums.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves...   JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves... I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 9:35 am

I love Tull but don't have many albums, got into them from my dad who would prance around the house singing about watching all the pretty panties run, can you say Screw Ball? I knew you could, anyway, favorite tracks are like Teacher, of course Aqualung and Locomotive Breath, Thick as a Brick, favorites are Bungle in the Jungle and Cross Eyed Mary, Mary is my ultimate favorite song by Tull by far. The Tokesta gave me an album by a band called Horselips out of Ireland I think and the sound very Jethro Tullish, I'd recommend to check em' out if you haven't allready. But yeah Tull, classic favorite, sadly the sound quality bites on the 2 disc greatest hits I got, but yeah the remastered stuff sounds great and has some interesting bonus stuff.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves...   JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves... I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 9:36 am

I'll pass you some more Tull man, I got almost everything.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves...   JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves... I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 9:38 am

whoah were did you come from? cool man, happy as a school girl!
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves...   JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves... I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 10:25 pm

I just watched "Jethro Tull - Live At Montreaux 2003" a few days ago and it was AMAZING! These guys are still so good live, Anderson's voice still suffers from being damaged in the 80's, but he's moved comfortably into his range and the older songs have been re-arranged for his voice. His flute playing is light years beyond what he was capable of in the 1970's...Martin Barre is still an amazing guitarist.

Quite a few tunes off the Jethro Tull Christmas Album, so it made a nice watch for the holidays.

Back to top Go down
manny

manny

PostSubject: Re: JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves...   JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves... I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 9:45 am

I have that DVD, I have not watched in awhile, and this band is amazing live, and I agree his flute playing is even more amazing then their 70's heyday.

Martin Barre is not only an amazing guitarist but an underrated one
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves...   JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves... I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 6:25 pm

Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves...   JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves... I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 10:30 pm

Nice one man, Jethro Tull is just freakin' awesome, Ian is a bad ass with that flute, when it comes to Tull Christmas can always come early, that was sweet, I know what I'll be jamming tonight. cheers
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves...   JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves... I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 9:12 pm

Over the past couple months I've come to the realization that JETHRO TULL really gets me like almost no other band can. I grew up listening to classic rock, but many of the bands I listened to while I was younger I don't feel the need to revisit now, nothing against them, but they've been processed already.

Jethro Tull is a different story. I still hear new things everytime I listen to one of their albums. Also, the more familiar with them I get the more I realize Anderson's compositional style really fits the way my mind works. I truly feel like I "get" what he's trying to convey.

Now, I've been listening to Tull for decades now...but I almost feel like I'm just now REALLY starting to hear them.

It's amazing when you can get that kind of connection with a specific artist/band.
Back to top Go down
manny

manny

PostSubject: Re: JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves...   JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves... I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 1:51 pm

Jethro Tull are currently on hiatus, and both Martin Barre and Ian Anderson are doing solo tours in Europe next year, doing both solo numbers and Tull classics, so it should be interesting.

Both Anderson and Barre have stated Tull is not over, but in a recent issue of Classic Rock Website interview, it looks like Tull will no longer bother creating new studio albums, which I think sucks.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves...   JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves... I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 2:12 pm

Ian Anderson will be performing "Thick As A Brick" in it's entirety on his new solo tour, I'd love to see that entire piece live.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves...   JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

JETHRO TULL - one of S.D's all time faves...
Page 1 of 1