The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Alan Parsons Project-One Of Akeldama's All-Time Faves

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

The Alan Parsons Project-One Of Akeldama's All-Time Faves Empty
PostSubject: The Alan Parsons Project-One Of Akeldama's All-Time Faves   The Alan Parsons Project-One Of Akeldama's All-Time Faves I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 7:39 pm

I've been a fan since I was a kid, I vividly remember I Robot, Eye In The Sky and Ammonia Avenue being played regularly by my oldest bro when I was a kid. My fave album is Tales Of Mystery And Imagination and Sirius and I Wouldn't Want To Be Like You as some of my fave tunes. They were around from '75-'90. Any fans? Any haters? Discuss. farao
Back to top Go down
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

PostSubject: Re: The Alan Parsons Project-One Of Akeldama's All-Time Faves   The Alan Parsons Project-One Of Akeldama's All-Time Faves I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 9:35 pm

I've got the majority of their stuff, but I only like about half of it. They had some GREAT albums, mainly Tales Of Mystery And Imagination. Love that record. Very ahead of its time. Conversely they also had some downright terrible albums. I mean, ever listen to Vulture Culture? Pretty bad, man.

So I guess you could call me a casual fan who just happens to own most of their albums.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: The Alan Parsons Project-One Of Akeldama's All-Time Faves   The Alan Parsons Project-One Of Akeldama's All-Time Faves I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 11:04 pm

Vulture Culture is a hard pill to swallow but over the years I've grown to like it once in a while. Alan Parsons solo albums are hit and miss but I like the first two better than the last two.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: The Alan Parsons Project-One Of Akeldama's All-Time Faves   The Alan Parsons Project-One Of Akeldama's All-Time Faves I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 3:36 pm

I used to like them a good bit when I was a kid, I bought Eye In The Sky when it first came out because you couldn't get away from that single anywhere...everybody bought that record.

Turn Of A Friendly Card was my favorite at the time, it's been so many years since I've listened to them I couldn't pick a favorite anymore.

My problem with APP is too many sappy ballads and overly "cheery" stuff. While there is some great music on those albums...there is also WAY too much pandering to the Top 40, especially in the ballads. So I find myself having to skip around too often on their albums...
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: The Alan Parsons Project-One Of Akeldama's All-Time Faves   The Alan Parsons Project-One Of Akeldama's All-Time Faves I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 12:38 am

I can see why y'all feel that they are hit or miss after all they do have that pop element to them. I must admit that I usually just listen to the songs that I really like and only once in a while listen to an APP album in it's entirety (with a couple of exceptions).
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: The Alan Parsons Project-One Of Akeldama's All-Time Faves   The Alan Parsons Project-One Of Akeldama's All-Time Faves I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 1:22 am

Part of the reason I don't listen to them much, is because of the memories associated with that era in my life. 1979-1982 pretty much sucked, so the albums I listened to frequently during those years are mostly avoided. APP falls into that category.

There were always good tunes on those albums and Parsons had a flair for memorable instrumentals, even getting some on the pop charts.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: The Alan Parsons Project-One Of Akeldama's All-Time Faves   The Alan Parsons Project-One Of Akeldama's All-Time Faves I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 4:44 am

Okay, I was vinyl shopping today and found several APP albums in the .99c rack. Found copies of the following:

Tales Of Mystery & Imagination
I Robot
Eve
The Turn Of A Friendly Card
Ammonia Ave.

There were a few more but they weren't in good enough shape, these were all fairly clean. I'll be spinning them over the next few days, it's been YEARS since I listened to any of these. But my recent foray into pop oriented 70's material has me craving this type of music right now.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: The Alan Parsons Project-One Of Akeldama's All-Time Faves   The Alan Parsons Project-One Of Akeldama's All-Time Faves I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 3:09 pm

That is a bad ass haul of vinyl. Let us know your thoughts on these albums after you reacquaint yourself with them.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: The Alan Parsons Project-One Of Akeldama's All-Time Faves   The Alan Parsons Project-One Of Akeldama's All-Time Faves I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 12:08 am

I used to own I Robot, that's really the only Parsons album I liked. I have no idea what happened to the vinyl though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Alan Parsons Project-One Of Akeldama's All-Time Faves   The Alan Parsons Project-One Of Akeldama's All-Time Faves I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Alan Parsons Project-One Of Akeldama's All-Time Faves
Page 1 of 1