The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Glenn Anzalone's Band

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Glenn Anzalone's Band Empty
PostSubject: Glenn Anzalone's Band   Glenn Anzalone's Band I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 2:28 pm

Any fans of Danzig? I hardly ever see any comments made about them at "the other place". Personally I like Danzig through 4P the best and with the exception of 5-BLACKACIDEVIL I like 'em all. After the post classic albums 777-I Luciferi is my fave and Disc 1 of The Lost Tracks Of Danzig kicks ass too. Overall and over the years III-How The Gods Kill is my fave.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Anzalone's Band   Glenn Anzalone's Band I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 5:24 pm

I used to be real into them, but not so much anymore. The first four albums were the best from what I remember though.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Anzalone's Band   Glenn Anzalone's Band I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 11:46 pm

I was way into Danzig about ten years ago. I still dig the first three Danzig albums but the rest have been kinda hit or miss. The last one I heard was 777: I LUCIFERI, which had a couple of decent tracks on it, but wasn't a keeper.

...and of course, his work with the Misfits is still Godhead. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Anzalone's Band   Glenn Anzalone's Band I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 1:39 am

I used to love the debut Danzig album, but I actually liked each successive album less and less. It seems that the music got less interesting while Glenn's annoying tendencies increased.

But there are some great tracks scattered throughout the first 4 albums or so. The last time I saw them was on the first Ozzfest tour when Tommy Victor was playing guitar. I don't think I've heard anything since that era.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Anzalone's Band   Glenn Anzalone's Band I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 3:25 pm

Like most others posted, I like the first 4 albums. BLACKACIDDEVIL had 2 strikes against it.

1. dumping the original band members. It was now The Glenn Danzig Solo Project. Some would argue that it's always been that way, but there was something missing when he lost Eerie, John and Chuck.

2. Glenn jumping on the NIN bandwagon and using industrial loops, synths and voice distortion. He toyed with it on the fourth album, which was fine, but went balls-deep on BlackAcidDevil. Pass.

I lost interest with that album and haven't looked back since, with one exception. I picked up the Lost Tracks box set at a used shop. It was cheap, so I thought, "What the hell?!?". I like that one. Some cool tracks there.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Anzalone's Band   Glenn Anzalone's Band I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 10:31 am

I just heard Circle Of Snakes the other day, it's actually a pretty ok album. Nothing exemplary though, NIN destroyed his creativity still it seems. Over the past couple days I've been spinning alot of Samhain though, still think that's his best era Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Anzalone's Band   Glenn Anzalone's Band I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 8:39 pm

I like Samhain but it's my least fave Danzig band. Anybody heard John Christ-Flesh Caffeine?
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Anzalone's Band   Glenn Anzalone's Band I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 9:05 pm

Akeldama wrote:
I like Samhain but it's my least fave Danzig band. Anybody heard John Christ-Flesh Caffeine?

Nah man, November Coming Fire alone puts his solo stuff to shame. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Anzalone's Band   Glenn Anzalone's Band I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 5:50 pm

Here's a review for "Deth Red Sabaoth" out June 22, 2010.

It’s never a good sign when I have to ask the publicist if the review copy they sent me is the final mix. They rarely send a rough-cut. And so began my utter disappointment with the new Danzig album, Deth Red Sabaoth. The disappointment is compounded by the knowledge that it could have been a great album, but falls flat.

Tunes I really dig include “Black Candy”, which is dark, disturbing, and will stay in your head for a while. “On a Wicked Night” has a crisp acoustic intro, then really ignites half-way through. “Ju Ju Bone” is a strong bluesy-rock tune and I can’t help but wonder if it’s penned about a penis with supernatural powers. The powerful track “Left Hand Rise Above” closes the album in a very fulfilling manner.

The song-writing on this album is impressive. Glenn Danzig states “I’ve been told several times that the album has a cool vitality to it, it sounds energized.” The songs really do convey a sense that the Danzig sound is revitalized, and also have potential to be some of his best work to-date. The problem is that most of the energy is lost in a murky and unfocused production.

The opening track, “Hammer of the Gods,” has a great riff and scorching guitar solo, but the guitar mix is chaotic and the vocals are a mess. It ends up sounding like a $300 garage band demo. “The Revengeful” showcases awesome guitar sounds, but the chorus vocals are a bit sloppy and the guitar solo is buried in the mix. The drums in “Rebel Spirits” will knock you on your ass, but the vocals disappear. “Deth Red Moon” is mixed as poorly as the first track and Danzig struggles to stay in key. “Pyre of Souls: Seasons of Pain” has all the writing and performance elements to be a great tune, but the mix is an intolerable 7-plus minute torture.

This could have been a great album. Danzig’s production down-slide probably started with Circle of Snakes, but the songs on Deth Red Sabaoth are so much better. Better songs, sloppy production, the disappointment is complete. Think I’ll go crank up “Am I Demon” to get over it.

Track Listing:

1.“Hammer of the Gods”
2.“The Revengeful”
3.“Rebel Spirits”
4.“Black Candy”
5.“On a Wicked Night”
6.“Deth Red Moon”
7.“Ju Ju Bone”
8.“Night Star Hell”
9.“Pyre of Souls: Incanticle”
10.“Pyre of Souls: Seasons of Pain”
11.“Left Hand Rise Above”
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Anzalone's Band   Glenn Anzalone's Band I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 6:36 pm

That really sucks, sounds like they need someone behind the mixing desk (me) that knows what they're doing.

Very Happy

Think I'll spin the self-titled Danzig album tonight....
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Anzalone's Band   Glenn Anzalone's Band I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 1:55 am

If I ever make it D, I'll get you behind the mixing desk for me bro.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Anzalone's Band   Glenn Anzalone's Band I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Glenn Anzalone's Band
Page 1 of 1