The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Death Cult's Tales Of Terror

Go down 
+2
Stender
DeathCult
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

Death Cult's Tales Of Terror Empty
PostSubject: Death Cult's Tales Of Terror   Death Cult's Tales Of Terror I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 7:09 pm

Figured I'd start my own column on here for reviews since as of late I haven't been able to do much with my site. Got plenty I've already pre-written, so happy readin'!

Last edited by DeathCult on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Death Cult's Tales Of Terror   Death Cult's Tales Of Terror I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 8:21 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Exciter-Blood Of Tyrants

1. Metal Crusaders
2. Rule With An Iron Fist
3. Intruders
4. Predator
5. Martial Law
6. War Cry
7. Brutal Warning
8. Weapons of Mass Destruction
9. Blood Of Tyrants
10. Violator

Well, if they're one thing, it's consistent. Exciter's sophomore ressurection effort after their non so gracious decent into the flames of the early 90's scene really isn't all that different then what came before it. It goes to show staying exactly the same isn't even close to the right idea a band should have. What happens when the water stops flowing? Stagnant fucking pond water. Sure they're might be a bass or two in there, but that water boasts a green skin. Exciter's recent work gives new meaning to beating the proverbial dead horse, churning out mainly uninspired songs complete witn the same lyrics running rampant on Heavy Metal Maniac over a decade before (really, still with the Metal Crusaders). Classic though those days were, you don't need to make the same album repeatedly. The "metal's chosen warriors" schtick doesn't work so well when you're in your 40's. Over half of it spends it's time wanking in nostalgia heaven with seemingly no other goal besides "living in the 80's". Which, would be at least ok if it were going somewhere, but it loses much more often then it grabs hold. The raw production element is fitting given what they were going for, but that hinders ALOT more then it helps. Not only is it mixed low due to that, but the vocals are louder, so it hides the music even more. Oh, that cover's about as lame as you can get, not only does it look stupid, but it has 0 to do with the album title. A king in guillotine or something similar would be much better.

Good aspects you say? Well, even though they took a direct step back to sound like a variation of their own Heavy Metal Maniac and Violence & Force records, it's actually pretty solid compared to the bands previous two efforts. The songwriting has been kicked into high gear here, and not only does it have catchy moments, but it flows decently in between a few of the songs (when it's not lost). The lyrics are on the whole pretty fun, even if the song is treading off into brainless rehashing (see Martial Law). "Metal Crusaders" rips the album off to nice start out of the gate, with a shredding and catchy riff, with Belanger nailing his trademark shrieks right off the bat. The only hinderance to it is the production, it really gives the track a restricted feeling. Which segues nicely into "Rule With An Iron Fist", which is a total Exciter classic. "Intruders" comes to the table with a decent enough solo, but is nothing more than a standard thrash outing and gets lost quickly. The next two songs ebb so badly, they might as well be two variations on the same track, save for different lyrics. "War Cry" steps up to the plate and holds its own quite well. Being an istrumental a conscious effort actually seems to have been made here to make the song flow and at least be multi faceted enough to change speeds. Plus, you don't have to listen to the demon avatar of Andy Gibb Belanger for a few minutes. "Brutal Warning" continues on well and is a driving steam hammer of a song! As soon as it ends, "Weapons Of Mass Destruction" comes back in and blows it back the the seventh level of Hell. Ahh, sweet reeitition (Wow, it's not different from Violence & Force at all actually). As is customary, the next song bathes in the waters of carbon copy so well, you'll find yourself wondering what color panties Cindy Crawford might've been wearing. "Violator" is pretty much the same, but a few time changes and a build up from it intro make it pounding enough to gain interest.

Overall? A D grade record. There's not much casual fans will find here, and nothing for anyone expecting a new take on Exciter. I would only reccomend it to those who have a hard on for Nostalgia, or as to what the best newer Exciter record to listen to would be.

Ripping Tracks: Metal Crusaders, Rule With An Iron Fist, War Cry, Brutal Warning
Decent: Violator
Back to top Go down
Stender
Delicious Vomit
Stender

PostSubject: Re: Death Cult's Tales Of Terror   Death Cult's Tales Of Terror I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 9:32 pm

Good review bro! mind fucked
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Death Cult's Tales Of Terror   Death Cult's Tales Of Terror I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 1:42 am

Wow a "D"? I can see that, though I don't own this album I remember hearing it and not being too impressed.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Death Cult's Tales Of Terror   Death Cult's Tales Of Terror I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2010 8:46 pm

Akeldama wrote:
Wow a "D"? I can see that, though I don't own this album I remember hearing it and not being too impressed.

A "D" is still a passing grade in my book. It's not a total piece of shit, it's still listenable. Plus, like I mentioned, Ricci still throws out some rad riffs, and it's the best newer one they've done. But overall, this is barely passable. Exciter may never have been the best band in the world, but they should at least try to do something new in a classic tone.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Death Cult's Tales Of Terror   Death Cult's Tales Of Terror I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 10:09 pm

Sacred Reich- Surf Nicaragua (1988)

1. Surf Nicaragua
2. One Nation
3. War Pigs
4. Draining You Of Life
5. Ignorance (Live)
6. Death Squad (Live)

You could really sum up this album in one term. Sonic badassery, pure and simple. This is easily one of the best thrash records the late 80's had to offer, EP or otherwise. On Surf Nicaragua... The EP jumps off to one hell of a start on the title track, with an awesome diarheaa of the fingertips type riff that's full of thrashy goodness. It's pretty easy to see how this became their most popular song, awesome buzzsaw riffs, one hell of a punky rhythm section, catchy lyrics (although I'm sure most metal heads could've given a rat's ass in the 80's), some nice breaks, a ripping solo, and of course the dudes have some fun with thrashin' up Wipe Out and the drum part to the Hawaii 5-0 theme in the middle of the song. Not only do they do a hell of a job with it, but it gives a goofy edge to the song, and goes right along with the sarcastic lyrics too. It's too bad thrash bands don't joke around like this anymore. The next track One Nation is a great midtempo song with speedy breaks, which actually quite nicely bridges their balls out thrash style with what they would shoot for with The American Way. Deciding to pay tribute to the almighty Black Sabbath here as well, Sacred Reich plays one hell of a version of War Pigs. Which, while making it their own, still maintains it's original distinctiveness and identity. Phil Rind's already powerful voice sounds great on it (which few vocalists manage to do when covering something with Ozzy singing) along with his bass playing, while Arnett & Rainey attack the guitar lines and thrash it to perfection, and Greg Hall just pounds your ear drums into mush with his drum delivery. Draining You Of Life, a re-record of the demo track is without a doubt one of the best Sacred Reich tracks ever, a true thrashterpiece only Nuclear Assault could match in intensity. Talk about one hell of a riff! And the drum work on it is flat out incredible as well, with Rind sounding like he's DEMANDING you listen to this song while the bass belches along. The last two tracks are live versions of two of the best songs from Ignorance, which sound great played live here, possibly even a little moreso aggressive than usual. The cover to this EP is rad as hell too, a gas masked metal head surfing a coffin lid with a bomb, classic metaltude all the way! In short, get this record, no metalhead or thrash fan should live without it!
Back to top Go down
Stender
Delicious Vomit
Stender

PostSubject: Re: Death Cult's Tales Of Terror   Death Cult's Tales Of Terror I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 10:40 pm

killer review bro!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Death Cult's Tales Of Terror   Death Cult's Tales Of Terror I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 4:19 pm

Great ep. Probably the only reason I don't listen to it more often is that it's so damn short. I'll have to break that one out again soon. In fact I need to rip all of my SR to the computer.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Death Cult's Tales Of Terror   Death Cult's Tales Of Terror I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 5:33 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Great ep. Probably the only reason I don't listen to it more often is that it's so damn short. I'll have to break that one out again soon. In fact I need to rip all of my SR to the computer.

Yeah, I wish it had been a full length myself, I have a feeling they'd have churned out their best record if it had been. SR in general is vastly underrated IMO. They might've kinda fizzled out a bit when it came to the mid-90's, but they had one of the best vocalists, great musicans, and three badass albums to back it up.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Death Cult's Tales Of Terror   Death Cult's Tales Of Terror I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 10:43 pm

I need to jam this one, it's been a while but it does kick ass.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Death Cult's Tales Of Terror   Death Cult's Tales Of Terror I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 11:06 pm

I know I haven't heard Sacred Reich since the 80's, one of those groups that didn't make the "cassette to CD transition".

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Death Cult's Tales Of Terror   Death Cult's Tales Of Terror I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Exciter- Unveiling The Wicked (1986)

Exciter's fourth album always has seemed to be a point of contention amongst fans, mainly due to the departure of original guitarist John Ricci, but also claims of a "commercial" sound. Brian McPhee is a great replacement for Ricci, his guitar tone is heavier, his solos fleshier, and he kicks out ballsy riffs too. Which, when all is said and done, is quite a nice change given how repetitive Ricci can be (don't get me wrong here though, I love the previous 3 records, it's just neat to hear Exciter moving forward). As far as the "commercial" sound here, that seems like a pretty misplaced moniker to throw at the album. Yes, there's more hard rock influences and melody thrown in to the mix, but it's still speed metal, it's not sunset strip by any means. The added influences just bring a depth forth which wasn't present before, and meatier songs here really. The production itself is a nice throwback to the sounds of Heavy Metal Maniac with that distortion/fuzz giving the record a pretty epic sound. Allan Johnson's bass is tight and driving throughout the record, and Beehler's wail while he pounds those skins means business. The cheesy album cover was also hated by alot, I personally love it, seeing it in the movie Trick or Treat was actually what made me run out and get it.
Break Down The Walls opens the record up, and is one of Exciter's best songs period. Beehler screams his balls off, the drums have a nice punch to them, and it's got a hell of a crunchy main riff. McPhee does a great job of blending the two different guitars here too, making it a stronger listen overall, and that solo is blistering!

Brainstorm is a short instrumental which really just serves as an intro for Die In The Night. It's a damn nice shred fest too. Die In The Night is another badass song, another crunchy riff with some fist pumping rhythms and an infectious chorus.

(I Hate) School Rules comes in next, which is probably the most famous (and ironically worst) track on here. Taking a cue from Twisted Sister and W.A.S.P., Exciter pulls a typical 80's metal anti-establishment anthem. The lyrics are ridiculous, but would easily appeal to younger fans with it's catchy chorus and riff. In another words, nice riff but wholly skip worthy. It's a bitch this was the album's single, had they chosen Die In The Night or something else, this album would probably have been better received.

Shout It Out is another mid-paced thrasher following in the same vein with the rest of the album. With Invasion/Waiting In The Dark though, we get another Exciter classic. Kicked up a notch again here much like the opener, but with a cool melodic interlude that makes it epic. This track is just a powerhouse of speed metal. Living Evil is the albums slower stomping track that brings Violence and Force to mind.

Live Fast, Die Young is another straight classic, full of energy, Beehler pounds the meTal right out of his kit while shreiking like a banshee, and McPhee's playing just rips and meshes great with Johnson's bass. Mission Destroy is a strong ender, another intense mid-paced track that leaves your head banging.

Definately one of Exciter's best records, ashame it doesn't get it's due credit.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Death Cult's Tales Of Terror   Death Cult's Tales Of Terror I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 3:50 pm

Dude I haven't heard or even thought of that album since I was a kid when my bro jammed Exciter!! Gotta get it!
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Death Cult's Tales Of Terror   Death Cult's Tales Of Terror I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 6:15 pm

Akeldama wrote:
Dude I haven't heard or even thought of that album since I was a kid when my bro jammed Exciter!! Gotta get it!

I ran out and got this after I saw it in Trick Or Treat and liked it instantly. This was probably my second Exciter record after I got Heavy Metal Maniac, and it's probably in my top 3 from them. I'm surprised they never got sued for the "V" ripoff though.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Death Cult's Tales Of Terror   Death Cult's Tales Of Terror I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 7:55 pm

I need to go back and listen to that album, I hadn't thought of it since the 80's.

Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Death Cult's Tales Of Terror   Death Cult's Tales Of Terror I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 10:42 pm

I'm lame I don't recall Exciter at all and Sacred Reich I've only heard very little of them, so I have no opinion on these albums, so whats your next review man? It's been awhile, can't keep your fans waiting.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Death Cult's Tales Of Terror   Death Cult's Tales Of Terror I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 2:06 am

Exciter was interesting, not quite top drawer...kind of like a B horror movie. Heavy Metal Maniac is an awesome album, I remember not liking Violence & Force much. Don't remember anything else.

Sacred Reich was badass, always thought they were overlooked...along with bands like Laaz Rocket, Cro Mags, Forced Entry, Wrathchild (America), etc.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Death Cult's Tales Of Terror   Death Cult's Tales Of Terror I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 3:07 pm

Detuned wrote:
Exciter was interesting, not quite top drawer...kind of like a B horror movie. Heavy Metal Maniac is an awesome album, I remember not liking Violence & Force much. Don't remember anything else.

Sacred Reich was badass, always thought they were overlooked...along with bands like Laaz Rocket, Cro Mags, Forced Entry, Wrathchild (America), etc.

This.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Death Cult's Tales Of Terror   Death Cult's Tales Of Terror I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 1:10 am

Gershom wrote:
I'm lame I don't recall Exciter at all and Sacred Reich I've only heard very little of them, so I have no opinion on these albums, so whats your next review man? It's been awhile, can't keep your fans waiting.

I'm getting around to it lol!
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Death Cult's Tales Of Terror   Death Cult's Tales Of Terror I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 1:14 am

Detuned wrote:

Totally agree on both points. Exciter though, has a few good songs on each of their album's from the 80's. They fall into that bland/songs sound the same trap alot. I don't usually review stuff I don't like either, but as much as their newer stuff gets hyped by nostalgic fans I just had to put the truth out.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Death Cult's Tales Of Terror   Death Cult's Tales Of Terror I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 6:46 pm

Cultosaurus Erectus (1980)

SIDE ONE:
Black Blade
Monsters
Divine Wind
Deadline

SIDE TWO:
The Marshall Plan
Hungry Boys
Fallen Angel
Lips In The Hills
Unknown Tongue

After their commercial and critical failure with Mirrors, Blue Öyster Cult decided to stop straddling the line between pop and hard rock and return to the heavier styling’s of their early days, along with the dark and mysterious overtones. Joining forces with producer Martin Birch, and even collaborating on a couple songs with sci-fi writer Michael Moorcock and their old rock critic buddy Richard Meltzer, it was clear the Oyster boys were swimming again. The resulting album was one of Blue Öyster Cult’s best, and heaviest. It’s also one of their most ambitious, this album is very rich in different, styles, textures and rhythms that come together in a way only BOC could make work.

The record starts off like an atom bomb with “Black Blade” whose twin axe attack is just excellent. The riffs really drive the song, and it’s good to hear them out front in a BOC record again. The rhythm section of the Bouchard brothers sounds like a powerhouse again as well, good punchy drums from Al and Joes bass just crushes. The lyrics are a great retelling of a Michael Moorcock tale about Elric and his sword, their sci-fi nature establishes the dark atmosphere of the song great. The other great thing about this track is it’s different sections, you go from shredding to eerie keyboard laced passages with some pretty wild vocals. One of their best tracks, easily.

“Monsters” is a track there always seems to be quite a debate about. It kicks off to a great start with a sledgehammer of a riff and quite the powerful hook. Eric’s vocals are pretty commanding on this track as well, it makes the verses catchy as hell and you really want to headbang and do some air guitar to those parts. Then we have the jazz interlude with Sax that turns most fans off, it actually adds a nice contrast to the song, and flows pretty well. Another piece it segues into pretty good here is the softer piano by Allen, and then into the incredibly eerie (albeit catchy) chorus. Along with a couple SCORCHING solos from Buck, another classic!

“Divine Wind” is a slow, haunting, thoughtful track. The harmonies and groove here just take you away to another dimension. The lyrics here, which deal with the then current Iran contra situation are nothing short of perfect, and the way Eric croons his lines will chill you.

“Deadline”, Buck’s sole track here is nothing short of breathtaking. His smooth vocals, combined with his tasty licks, haunting melodies and a catchy as hell jazzy rhythm section (reminiscent of a Steely Dan composition) will certainly nest itself in your brain.

“The Marshall Plan” is a killer rock opera played BOC style. Multi layered, infectious piano, catchy harmonies, and shredding guitar. The lyrics tell a story of Johnny, who loses his girlfriend to some rock group, so then he goes and becomes a rock star himself, pretty nifty.

“Hungry Boys” is another track that explodes at a fast pace, lyrically it’s an ode to drugs, and overall it’s pretty damn catchy. Lanier’s piano riff in this track really drives it on at a manic pace, and couple with the way Al sings it, makes it sound almost urgent. Buck’s solo in this one could literally set the world on fire too.

“Fallen Angel” is the only so/so track on this record. The guitar lines are pretty good, but it’s a little too new wavey with it’s synth use for it’s own good. Not a bad track, it’s just not on par with the record, it almost sounds like it should’ve been on Mirrors.

The album pulls itself right out of that low point with the downright explosive “Lips In The Hills”. The dueling guitars between Buck and Eric on this one are just downright insane. The lyrics here are great as well, ala Richard Meltzer. This really is a perfect track, the band’s chemistry is great here.

“Unknown Tongue” closes the record in a great BOC fashion. Haunting vocals, sprawling piano, some firey riffs and creepy lyrics. Another classic!

Overall, it’s just an excellent record with some truly classic tunes that sound even better live. Not to mention, one of their best album covers of all time.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Death Cult's Tales Of Terror   Death Cult's Tales Of Terror I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 6:47 pm

This one was alot of fun to review, though I think my descriptions need serious work. One of my favorite BOC records!
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Death Cult's Tales Of Terror   Death Cult's Tales Of Terror I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 6:55 pm

I've always wondered if The Marshall Plan was really a live track or if they just put fake crowd noise on it.

Great album, that's in dire need of remastering because the only existing version on CD is pretty poor.

I picked up a used LP awhile back and it was a major improvement over the CD.

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Death Cult's Tales Of Terror   Death Cult's Tales Of Terror I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 7:21 pm

I hope Sony is able to keep going with those re-masters. I'd love to hear from Mirrors-Imaginos done.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Death Cult's Tales Of Terror   Death Cult's Tales Of Terror I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 1:14 pm

Ok, before I actually jump into the review, sorry for the looong wait on this one. The reason being I wasn't in the mood for it the first few times I spun it and I kept snapping it off before I could make it all the way through. I just jammed it again this morning though, and I dig it.

Thirteen (2011)
1. Sudden Death
2. Public Enemy No. 1
3. Whose Life (Is It Anyways?)
4. We The People
5. Guns, Drugs & Money
6. Never Dead
7. New World Order
8. Fast Lane
9. Black Swan
10. Wrecker
11. Milllennium Of The Blind
12. Deadly Nightshade
13. Thirteen

Well, for their cleverly named 13th album, Megadeth turns out a pretty strong one. Ellefson has returned to the fold for the first time since 2001's The World Needs A Hero and helps return the band to their more classic dethly sound. Played in the vein of Countdown To Extinction era mixed with some Rust In Piece and more modern albums, this record thrashes it up pretty well while mixing it in with some radio friendly type melody. Dave throws out some awesome riffs as usual (and very memorable ones at that) and the album is peppered with great solos, although Broderick's constant sweep picking can get tiring after awhile. The grooves are solid Ellefson chugs along the way he does best, and Drover's drumming is pretty solid overall. Songwise, there's some instant Deth classics right off the bat here that will get stuck in your head for days in the form of, "Sudden Death", "Public Enemy No. 1", "Never Dead" and "Whose Life Is It Anyways?". The three re-workings of old tracks are also excellent (though, I would much prefer Friedman and Menza playing on them) with "New World Order", "Millennium Of The Blind" (which is also their best "ballad" in many years), and "Black Swan" sounding right in step with the rest of the record, and dare I say quite possibly the best versions of each. "Deadly Nightshade", and "We The People" are pretty killer as well. Lyrically, Mustaine still spews great venom politically and personal hurt wise, showing that even though his creed may of changed he can still rip it up.

There's only really a few gripes to have with this record, first Mustaine's voice is WAY too high in the mix, to the point where it's pretty damn annoying. I realize it's his band, but that really should've been toned down before this went to press. Another problem stems in the fact that this album is really formulaic songwriting wise, which makes a few tracks come off really boring and just sort of "there" as opposed to making any real impact (Drugs, Guns & Money, Fast Lane, and the title track are pretty good examples). Lastly, a couple tracks feel overly long to accomadate too many solos (Sudden Death) or boring intros (Never Dead).

Overall, a really solid Megadeth album worth owning with some killer tracks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Death Cult's Tales Of Terror   Death Cult's Tales Of Terror I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Death Cult's Tales Of Terror
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next