The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

GOATSNAKE!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

GOATSNAKE! Empty
PostSubject: GOATSNAKE!   GOATSNAKE! I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 12:23 am

Goatsnake is a band that I somehow completely missed until the past 6 months or so. But better late than never!

The band basically started when the rhythm section of The Obsessed (Wino had split to form Spirit Caravan) got together with Greg Anderson (Sunn O))), Burning Witch, Thorr's Hammer) and journeyman vocalist Pete Stahl. They weren't an active group for very long, but man...they left behind some killer recordings in the process!

Flower of Disease is the crowning glory and an album that has quickly muscled it's way into my top 10 Stoner albums of all time. The record is pretty much perfect. Oh what a joy to hear a band like this with a harmonica player! El Coyote would go great alongside The Wizard...

Their entire discography can be attained with 3 CDs:
GOATSNAKE! G47836abwgi
Goatsnake (contains debut album, Dog Days EP & Man Of Light single). Brilliant cover of Sabbath's "Who Are You" on here.

GOATSNAKE! E350284o2nz
Flower Of Disease - this album is FINALLY scheduled for reissue by Southern Lord (Anderson's label) this month!

GOATSNAKE! G43388z86nt
Trampled Under Hoof - 3 new songs and 2 excellent covers.

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

GOATSNAKE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: GOATSNAKE!   GOATSNAKE! I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 10:26 am

Have only listened to the one album so far, but their cover of Who Are You kicks some serious ass!
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

GOATSNAKE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: GOATSNAKE!   GOATSNAKE! I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 9:33 pm

Gotta get Goatsnake, sounds killer!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

GOATSNAKE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: GOATSNAKE!   GOATSNAKE! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 12:06 pm

These guys are a recent discovery for me as well. I've heard a tune or 2 on some compilation albums and Amazon keeps recommending them to me every time I place an order. I like what I've heard and even threw in some bids on ebay for their stuff, but have yet to win. They've made "the list", so I'll be keeping an eye out for their work.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

GOATSNAKE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: GOATSNAKE!   GOATSNAKE! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 2:44 pm

The original lineup has re-united for an appearance at Roadburn this year....here's hoping they get inspired to re-form and record another album!!!!!

In the meantime, I'll keep playing their old ones to death. microdeath
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

GOATSNAKE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: GOATSNAKE!   GOATSNAKE! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 8:50 am

Reissue of Flower Of Disease released last week....perfect opportunity to enter the cult of the Goatsnake!

HEADHUNTER!
Back to top Go down
Shawn

Shawn

GOATSNAKE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: GOATSNAKE!   GOATSNAKE! I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 8:38 pm

Goatsnake frikkin' ROCKS!
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

GOATSNAKE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: GOATSNAKE!   GOATSNAKE! I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 10:09 pm

GOATSNAKE! 61AL9scp1ML._SL500_AA300_

Listening to this masterpiece again tonight.

This album easily goes in my top five stoner/desert rock albums of all time.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

GOATSNAKE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: GOATSNAKE!   GOATSNAKE! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 3:48 pm

Unfortunatly, these guys didn't grab me by the short & curlies like I hoped they would. I'm usually down for some decent stoner rock, but nothing stood out on the 2 albums (s/t and Trampled...) I have. Good enough while their spinning, but immediatly gone from memory when the albums is over.

They've been shelved for now, but I'll come back to them at some point.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

GOATSNAKE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: GOATSNAKE!   GOATSNAKE! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 3:54 pm

I didn't like the debut the first time I heard it. Took a few spins before it sank in.

I think Flower Of Disease is the best by far.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

GOATSNAKE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: GOATSNAKE!   GOATSNAKE! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

GOATSNAKE!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Workshop :: Thick As A Brick :: Dr. Music-
Jump to: