The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Your stereo setup?

Go down 
+4
chewie
Akeldama
Shawn
S.D.
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Your stereo setup? Empty
PostSubject: Your stereo setup?   Your stereo setup? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 5:51 pm

What is your primary listening setup at home?

What about portability? iPods, car stereos, etc.?

I have a somewhat bizarre setup, I've integrated a couple computers along with my stereo equipment, so everything is connected in some form or another.

Core stereo:

Yamaha Amplifier
Technics 1800 turntable
Sony 5-CD Changer
Panasonic Blu Ray player
Bose tower speakers

I also have my iMac connected wirelessly via an Airport Express to the stereo, that way I was able to keep my main computer in a different area and didn't have to run a bunch of cable. I also have a Dell computer plugged directly into my TV/Stereo as a media server.

At the moment I don't have any portable music players and my car stereo has been broken for sevaral years. Sad
Back to top Go down
Shawn

Shawn

Your stereo setup? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your stereo setup?   Your stereo setup? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 8:22 am

Your stereo setup? Img-thing?

Except for the Beck part...
Back to top Go down

Your stereo setup? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your stereo setup?   Your stereo setup? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 9:15 am

Just my iMac hooked up to my ancient rack stereo with 6 inch bookshelf speakers. Not fantastic but very adequate.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Your stereo setup? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your stereo setup?   Your stereo setup? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 11:20 am

So, what kind of rack stereo? Audio geeks require more information. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Your stereo setup? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your stereo setup?   Your stereo setup? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 11:45 am

It's a piecemeal thing. 100 watt Sherwood tuner....Optimus EQ....JVC single disc CD player....all from around 1994 or 1995. Still works like a charm. Smile Each component was $99 bucks when I bought them. It was my first "official" stereo.

I also have a Microsoft Zune 80gb which I covet. My car stereo is just the factory installed one. Sounds pretty sweet, IMO.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Your stereo setup? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your stereo setup?   Your stereo setup? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 12:10 pm

Yeah, my stereos have almost always been "piecemeal".

The stereo I'm using now has been slowly evolving over the past 10 years.

The amp is a 1999 model I think, the turntable dates from sometime in the early 80's, the CD player is probably circa 1994 or thereabouts. The most recent addition were the Bose speakers (a gift), they are probably late 80's/early 90's...back when Bose still made good equipment. That was the crowning touch, the stereo improved about 70% when those speakers were added.

I also went out, got rid of all the cheap cabling and upgraded to either Monster or Mapleshade cables, that made a HUGE difference as well.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Your stereo setup? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your stereo setup?   Your stereo setup? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 10:09 am

Ever since I got my iPods (I have 9), I only have a pair of computer speakers in the garage I hook them up to when I work out. I want a Bose docking system though.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Your stereo setup? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your stereo setup?   Your stereo setup? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 10:34 am

9 iPods??? Why?
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Your stereo setup? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your stereo setup?   Your stereo setup? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 3:51 pm

I have sooooo much music sometimes I want a certain genre and also to put movies on when we go camping b/c I'm an insomniac.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

Your stereo setup? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your stereo setup?   Your stereo setup? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 2:59 pm

I have:

Technics SL-BD20 Turntable
Kenwood KD-3055 Turntable
Sony STR-DE 597 Receiver
Sony MDS JE-440 Minidisc Player/Recorder
Yamaha CDR- D651 Player/Recorder
Sony CDP-C20 5 disc carousel
Yamaha Speakers NS-A635(that I bought in the early 90s. They have a great bass response that is lost in these days of having to have a subwoofer)
Yamaha NS-A636 I'm going to use these as rear surround speakers.
A cheapo brand surround speaker system

I had a Sony Dual tape deck but it just died about a week ago(I'm gonna try to fix it)

Portable:

Ipod 80g
Sony minidisc player
Sony minidisc player/recorder (I was big into this technology in the late90s early00s)
Emerson Radio with a cd and tape player

Car Stereo:
A Kenwood that plays regular and mp3 cds and also has a aux input that I use for the Ipod.

Last edited by chewie on Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Your stereo setup? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your stereo setup?   Your stereo setup? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 3:15 pm

My setup is basically the same, except I downgraded to a pair of Bose bookshelf speakers (the towers were too big to transport out of Austin).

The computer was also recently replaced. Now running a 2010 Mac Mini via HDMI connection (which outputs at 24bit/192khz). The soundcard runs in 32 bit for editing.

the Mac was the best technology switch I've ever done.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

Your stereo setup? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your stereo setup?   Your stereo setup? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 9:15 pm

Fisher Studio Standard Amp
Fisher Studio Standard Tuner
Ion Turntable
Sony 6-Disc Changer
An ancient Teac tape deck that I think I've had since high school
and some pretty damn good Bookshelf speakers.
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

Your stereo setup? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your stereo setup?   Your stereo setup? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 4:09 pm

Home:

Denon AVR 1910
Klipsch HD Theater 1000 Speakers
Sony Blu-Ray Player (with ethernet port)
Audio Technica Turntable (w/USB)
Denon I-Pod docking station
DirecTV HD Box that plays music off my networked hard drive
D-Link Ethernet bridge
Dell 42 Inch Plasma

Car: Stock system that sounds pretty good and AUX input for my IPod Classic (160 GB)
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Your stereo setup? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your stereo setup?   Your stereo setup? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 6:57 pm

The iPod Classic is the way to go, enough space to keep a decent size collection of Lossless files or a plethora of mp3s.
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

Your stereo setup? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your stereo setup?   Your stereo setup? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 8:50 pm

Shawn D. wrote:
The iPod Classic is the way to go, enough space to keep a decent size collection of Lossless files or a plethora of mp3s.

Since it;s for the car, I went with the plethora of MP3's - up to 16k songs now
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Your stereo setup? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your stereo setup?   Your stereo setup? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 8:52 pm

yeah, MP3s are fine for the car, too noisy going down the road to hear any differences anyway.

However, my studio monitor headphones are a different story, I can still hear the mp3 aliasing even at the highest bit rates. Wish I couldn't, but I know what cymbals are actually supposed to sound like in real life.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

Your stereo setup? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your stereo setup?   Your stereo setup? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Shawn D. wrote:

However, my studio monitor headphones are a different story, I can still hear the mp3 aliasing even at the highest bit rates. Wish I couldn't, but I know what cymbals are actually supposed to sound like in real life.

What a Face

I just ran into this predicament myself, I plugged my Bose headphones into my laptop to listen to some tracks, and DAMN can you tell.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Your stereo setup? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your stereo setup?   Your stereo setup? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 9:39 pm

Size DOES matter. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

Your stereo setup? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your stereo setup?   Your stereo setup? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 1:24 pm

Well, anytime I listen to music on the computer, I run the music through my little 15 Watt Practice Amp, and it sounds pretty bad ass.

When I listen to CD's, I have a RCA 5 disc CD changer w/ 2 cassette decks and FM/AM radio. I don't know the specs of it, but the speakers sound good to me. And we all know that's all that matters.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

Your stereo setup? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your stereo setup?   Your stereo setup? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 1:54 pm

I added:
Kenwood KD-3055 Turntable, That a coworker just gave to me. Works perfectly
Yamaha NS-A636, I just bought for cheap and going to use as rear surround speakers.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

Your stereo setup? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your stereo setup?   Your stereo setup? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 9:58 pm

Sort of relevant thread, but I have a question.

Do you guys know of any specific good quality ear-bud headphones? I'm gonna start saving up to get a relatively nice pair of ear-buds and maybe some Sennheiser cans.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Your stereo setup? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your stereo setup?   Your stereo setup? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 am

I'm NOT a fan of ear buds whatsoever, the best sound quality is from over the ear head phones. I can recommend some of those, but I know absolutely nothing about ear buds.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Your stereo setup? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your stereo setup?   Your stereo setup? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 5:26 am

I don't care much for them either but for work they are the most logical choice for me but I use cheapies just in case I drop them in water but I really like the Skullcandy or Beatz for the fancy shmancy ones.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

Your stereo setup? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your stereo setup?   Your stereo setup? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 11:39 am

I don't even have a stereo set-up anymore. I rarely listen to music around the house so 99 percent of the time it's either while I'm driving or on the cheap P.O.S. boom box I keep on my desk at work.

The last stereo I owned was given to us as a wedding present in 1999, it was a beaut. I forget the brand name but it had a 5 CD changer, turntable, tuner, double cassette deck, the whole works. Needless to say I worked the hell out of that thing. After about ten years bits and parts of it started crapping out -- the volume knob was busted so the only way to change the volume was by using the remote control, one of the cassette decks stopped working, etc. When the CD changer stopped "changing" (i.e. even if you put 5 CDs in it, it would only play one of them over and over) the wife and I decided it was time for it to go.

I remember taking it to the recycling center with my son who was about six years old at the time. As I deposited the various parts into the electronics-recycling bin, I made a big show of it, pretending to sob and saying "We've had many rockin' good times, my friend, but it's time for you to go..." When we walked back to the car my son sez "It's OK if you wanna cry, Daddy. I won't tell anybody." Very Happy
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Your stereo setup? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your stereo setup?   Your stereo setup? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 1:41 pm

Freddy. You do realize you can get really decent used stereo equipment from ebay and craigslist. I've seen really good amps for under $20 and there are speakers, CD players and turntables galore. You could probably put together a really decent mid-grade system for under $100.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Your stereo setup? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your stereo setup?   Your stereo setup? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your stereo setup?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next