The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....

Go down 
+5
Metal-On-Metal
chewie
Akeldama
DeathCult
S.D.
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
SpectreFate
Smug Prick
SpectreFate

S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 8:17 pm

No Coltrane on his birthday?
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 8:29 pm

Happy Birthday Mr. Coltrane...

One of my all-time favorite Coltrane tunes, Equinox from "Coltrane's Sound" 1960 Atlantic Records.

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 8:48 pm

S.D. wrote:
Happy Birthday Mr. Coltrane...

One of my all-time favorite Coltrane tunes, Equinox from "Coltrane's Sound" 1960 Atlantic Records.

Oooo, good one Very Happy
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 2:10 am

S.D. wrote:
The original, classic version of Cantaloupe Island by Herbie Hancock. Featuring Freddie Hubbard on trumpet.

I have this and Maiden Voyage on CD in the RVG master series. Good stuff!
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 3:49 pm

I have just noticed that I have to be in a jazz mood to listen to jazz. Sometimes it's just the perfect thing to listen to, and then other times I'd much rather listen to some skull crushing metal; and after too much metal I have to cleanse my palate with the beautiful melodies of prog. Then I can go back to jazz. That's what's great about listening to more than one style of music.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 3:54 pm

Metal-On-Metal wrote:
I have just noticed that I have to be in a jazz mood to listen to jazz. Sometimes it's just the perfect thing to listen to, and then other times I'd much rather listen to some skull crushing metal; and after too much metal I have to cleanse my palate with the beautiful melodies of prog. Then I can go back to jazz. That's what's great about listening to more than one style of music.

Exactly!

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 12:45 am

Wes Montgomery tackles Coltrane's "Impressions", this one is a must watch. Coltrane wanted Montgomery to join his band in 1961 but Wes was making good money on his own so it never worked out. But it would have been awesome...

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 11:24 am

Metal-On-Metal wrote:

I'm finding that to be true as well.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 11:57 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Metal-On-Metal wrote:

I'm finding that to be true as well.

I've been getting into Classical lately, mostly Stravinsky and Mussorgsky.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 5:18 pm

Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 2:09 am

Ooh, damn that's cool! What the hell kinda guitar/bass/hell spawn is that? haha.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 2:31 am

That instrument is called a "Chapman Stick" or just a "Stick". Tony Levin from King Crimson was the first guy I saw play one.

Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 10:01 pm

Been listening to some Jazz today, so I figured I'd dust off this thread.

Miles Davis - In a Silent Way/ It's About That Time
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 3:20 pm

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 2:26 pm

The highly influential Gary Burton Quartet from the late 60's featuring guitar legend Larry Coryell on this feature tune. This is the real deal my friends.

Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 2:55 pm

Wow!!! Is this where Frank Zappa got some of his ideas?????
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 2:56 pm

chewie wrote:
Wow!!! Is this where Frank Zappa got some of his ideas?????

Zappa was always a major jazz fan, so who knows.

"Duster" is easily one of the best jazz-rock albums ever released (and it's also just about the first one).

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 3:24 am

Back from the dead once more.

Today we take a look at John Patton (aka Big John Patton), one of the most lyrical of the Hammond organists of the 1960's. Instead of going for the full on grease like many organists of the day, Patton had his sights on other areas, mixing in elements of the avant-garde and modal jazz (Larry Young would continue this exploration later).

LISTEN to this tune and you'll hear the basic sound that The Allman Brothers and Santana would explore in another 5 years...

featuring Bobby Hutcherson (vibes), Grant Green (guitar) & Otis "Candy" Finch on drums, recorded in 1965.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 2:23 pm

I've always heard of Patton but never heard him or even realized the measure of his talent and influence. Killer stuff.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 10:24 pm

FUNKY!

Reuben Wilson - Ronnie's Bonnie (1968)

Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 7:22 pm

Nice tunes!!!! Here's one:

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 4:56 pm

Some classic blues today...

"I Can't Quit You Baby" by Otis Rush.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 7:50 pm

Now THAT is a killer tune, I recommend all y'all get The Cobra Records Story.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 6:14 pm

taking it a little more "out" today. Once you get past the short free-form introduction, it settles into an INSANE latin groove. McCoy Tyner is a true legend on the piano, I've seen him 5 different times since the mid 90s.

Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 8:12 pm

This tune, from the remaster of Red Clay, is a work of art.

It's got Freddie Hubbard, Stanley Turrentine, Johnny Hammond, George Benson, Ron Carter, and Billy Cobham. Terrific lineup, and a terrific jam.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next