The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Alphonse Mouzon: The Smooth Jazz Era

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Alphonse Mouzon: The Smooth Jazz Era Empty
PostSubject: Alphonse Mouzon: The Smooth Jazz Era   Alphonse Mouzon: The Smooth Jazz Era I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 12:38 pm

Just wondering who is into this phase of his career, I'm just getting into it, two albums in actually, and I really like it. I grew up listening to music like Ray Parker Jr., etc. so this suits me well and I like it even better since there's no vocals. I'd like to know more info on this era and any recommendations.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Alphonse Mouzon: The Smooth Jazz Era   Alphonse Mouzon: The Smooth Jazz Era I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 2:21 am

I'm not familiar with that era at all, so I'd need recommendations myself.

Do you have any 70's Turrentine, especially the CTI stuff? That's one of the main ingredients in what would later become "smooth jazz", but that shit is still funky as hell.

Grover Washington Jr. was another bad mother who recorded a bunch of fairly crap albums, but also could unleash hellish fury when inspired in that direction.

Lonnie Liston Smith is another cat from that era that has some masterpieces...and some turkeys to his credit...

and Eddie Harris is STILL the fucking MAN.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Alphonse Mouzon: The Smooth Jazz Era   Alphonse Mouzon: The Smooth Jazz Era I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 3:09 pm

I'll recommend you some when I get to know this era of his stuff better, Shawn. As far as the other guys go I only have some Eddie Harris stuff.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Alphonse Mouzon: The Smooth Jazz Era   Alphonse Mouzon: The Smooth Jazz Era I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 7:22 pm

I've only ever heard his album with Tommy Bolin. You guys make me feel like I don't know dick about jazz. lol!
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Alphonse Mouzon: The Smooth Jazz Era   Alphonse Mouzon: The Smooth Jazz Era I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 2:12 pm

Alphonse Mouzon's By All Means is a kick ass album with tons of groove, the only stinker IMO is 'Space Invadors'. Yes it's I-N-V-A-D-O-R-S. And the instrumental songs on the Morning Sun album are also killer, they have a Ray Parker Jr. feel to 'em.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alphonse Mouzon: The Smooth Jazz Era   Alphonse Mouzon: The Smooth Jazz Era I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alphonse Mouzon: The Smooth Jazz Era
Page 1 of 1