The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone Empty
PostSubject: ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone   ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 2:27 am

ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone ElectricWizard2
ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone ElectricWizard1

Electric Wizard was a band that initially I wasn't that impressed with, it wasn't until last year that they finally "clicked" with me. All it took was hearing the album Witchcult Today, then I had to go back and start checking out the earlier albums.

E.W. is like a minor-league Hammer horror flick; crosses, black masses, bulging cleavage...just with more weed thrown into the mix. They actually sound like a band that hasn't been sober in a decade or two...I APPROVE!

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone   ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 2:30 am

Excellent band! Witchcult Today & We Live are doom at it's finest.

Plus foxy Liz Buckingham plays guitar, not much else I could want.
Back to top Go down
Stender
Delicious Vomit
Stender

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone   ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 2:38 am

I'm pretty sure I would ravage Liz....
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone   ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 11:53 pm

YO. The Wizard have a new album out...

ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone 41ZOno7jQYL._SL500_AA300_

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone   ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 11:57 am

Detuned wrote:
YO. The Wizard have a new album out...

ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone 41ZOno7jQYL._SL500_AA300_

I just special ordered it, hoping it's as good as We Live and Witchcult real vampire
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone   ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 2:23 am

I've heard the title track, which has a "Venom" vibe to it (ala Countess Bathory, etc). Cool song. I need to finish catching up some bills before I splurge on more CDs.

But it's on my long ass want list.

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone   ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 12:39 am

Detuned wrote:
I've heard the title track, which has a "Venom" vibe to it (ala Countess Bathory, etc). Cool song. I need to finish catching up some bills before I splurge on more CDs.

But it's on my long ass want list.

I heard the whole thing, it's a good record, I like the Venom vibe this one has, sounds dirty. I'll get the regular CD at some point, but wish I could've gotten one of the 2 LP limted boxsets.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone   ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 8:10 pm

I did the bad thing and downloaded three of their albums, but, since I like what I've heard, I'm getting the LP versions of them.

Eyeing the clear w/splatter or yellow disc versions of Black Masses. Does anyone know what the cover of the Metal Blade version will be and if they will be offering different colored vinyl?

A somewhat related question, Will Ghost - Opus Eponymous be available in the US for a decent price on colored vinyl?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone   ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 10:54 am

I only own Witchcult Today, but I think thses guys are a little too much on the "drone" side of things for my taste. I like a good slow doom, but these guys (and gal) slow things down too much for me. I nod out when I hear them. Not good at work or while driving, which are the 2 primary places I listen to music.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone   ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 11:07 am

They aren't exactly subtle. Their early albums they basically just tried to see how slow they could possibly play, not a bad experiment if you have something to say, but if it's just a gimmick for gimmick's sake it can be pretty dull. I think there was some interesting material, but you had to sift through a whole bunch of mediocrity to find it.

I got interested in them because of "Witchcult Today", which added some much needed groove into the mix. But they are still an acquired taste to be sure. There is just enough stuff out of left field to keep me interested. I almost bought the new album yesterday, but I grabbed the new Blood Ceremony instead because that style will get played more often.

For a more "intelligent" way of handling the style, I recommend checking out YOB.

P.S. - EW is one of those bands that might actually require mind altering substances to completely "get".
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone   ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 11:22 am

Quote :
For a more "intelligent" way of handling the style, I recommend checking out YOB.

P.S. - EW is one of those bands that might actually require mind altering substances to completely "get".

I've checked out YOB in the past on YouTube and I kinda feel the same was about them. Too slow and plodding for me.

It's been a mighty long time since I've hit the herb. Thought about it a few times, but I gotta play the role of responsible dad these days. Spacing out in a beanbag, staring at the lava lamp isn't an option anymore I'm afraid.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone   ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 12:11 pm

I wasn't "recommending", just stating that EW is so stoned when they record...

Works great for Kyuss too. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone   ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 2:48 pm

I need to revisit Kyuss.

I had one album, Blues for a Red Sun, ages ago but ditched it. I didn't quite get them, as the whole "stoner" genre of music was foreign to me at the time. I've since acquired quite a taste for that style and need to reinvestigate.

Ahhhhh, so much music, so little money.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone   ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 3:30 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I need to revisit Kyuss.

I had one album, Blues for a Red Sun, ages ago but ditched it. I didn't quite get them, as the whole "stoner" genre of music was foreign to me at the time. I've since acquired quite a taste for that style and need to reinvestigate.

Ahhhhh, so much music, so little money.

Welcome To Sky Valley is probably the best initial purchase, that's probably my favorite album of the 90's.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone   ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ELECTRIC WIZARD - tokin' on the Dopethrone
Page 1 of 1