The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Albums I Acquired

Go down 
+6
Metal-On-Metal
Shawn
DeathCult
S.D.
Akeldama
chewie
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
chewie

chewie

Albums I Acquired - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albums I Acquired   Albums I Acquired - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 5:54 pm

Decided to check out Dimple after my chiropractor appt. and found both, used:

Black Country Communion - S/T $9.99
Damn The Machine - Silence Ep $1.99 This has a cover Of "I'd Love To Change The World" by Ten Years After and "Cat Food" by King Crimson
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Albums I Acquired   Albums I Acquired - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 11:51 pm

Ordered a couple vinyls from Amazon and I had a Gift Card. Yes!!!!!

Albums I Acquired - Page 3 Orlando_Julius_and_the_Afro_Sounders_1_b
Quote :
Orlando Julius has been a well known name on the West African music scene all through the 1960s and 70s. His early work was recorded in the Philips studios under the strict supervision of their house producers who were putting an emphasis on a pleasant and swinging sound that was jugging along in a pleasant way, bridging big band highlife music with American soul.

In 1972 and 1973, Orlando Julius and his band The Afrosounders visited the legendary ARC Lagos studio of Ginger Baker and what OJ and the gang put to tape there was an entirely different beast: They recorded and album packed with unadulterated, funky Afrobeat of the heaviest caliber.

For the first time, Orlando and the his band were able to really let loose and showcase their full power with an unfiltered impact. They laid down six epic tracks that from a Funk or Afrobeat perspective definitely count as Orlando's strongest work but it seemed that Philips were not too happy with this result. They completely botched the distribution of this record and while Orlando's earlier and later work has all been re-issued over the past years, sometimes multiple times and from various international labels, this, his best record has remained under the radar and virtually unknown to the worldwide community of African music lovers. This was until I was sitting in my friend Damian Iwuagwu's house in Lagos back in January of 2010, drinking a cold Star beer and enjoying the evening when he casually handed me this LP and asked "what about this one, I got this the other day and I don't think I've ever seen it before".

Albums I Acquired - Page 3 0001036569_350
Quote :
Like most stories involving aliens this
one seems, well, made up. But it really
happened. For a few years in the late 60's
to early 70's worlds collided and aliens
walked among us.

And made music.

Psycho African Beat is the complete
recorded output of this amazing group and
their unprecedented music that combined
elements of American soul, funk, garage rock
and psych with African rhythms and melodies.

This magical moment lasted for 3 short years
producing only 3 releases: 1 - 4 song EP +
2 - 7”s. Today, these 3 original releases are
the most sought after and most elusive
African funk records.

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Albums I Acquired   Albums I Acquired - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 11:56 pm

Cool that you're getting into that stuff.

I'm on a Brazilian bossa kick at the moment, hits me once every few years.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Albums I Acquired   Albums I Acquired - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 12:56 am

Chewie, how is that BCC? Do you have both?
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Albums I Acquired   Albums I Acquired - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 2:38 pm

Received this in the mail today, I already have the remastered albums, but I can't pass up these slimlines whenever I see them for a good price, the cases are just too cool.

Albums I Acquired - Page 3 At_war10
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Albums I Acquired   Albums I Acquired - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 2:51 pm

Akeldama wrote:
Just the first one. It's a really good "rock" album, if you know what I mean. There is cover of Trapeze's "Medusa" on it, if that helps.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Albums I Acquired   Albums I Acquired - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 2:54 pm

is that "At War With Satan"?

That was the first Venom album I got, in hindsight probably not the best first choice. Though it does bring back some foggy drug-induced teenage memories.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Albums I Acquired   Albums I Acquired - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 2:54 pm

chewie wrote:
Akeldama wrote:
Just the first one. It's a really good "rock" album, if you know what I mean. There is cover of Trapeze's "Medusa" on it, if that helps.

I dig Trapeze and I'm gonna get these once I can.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Albums I Acquired   Albums I Acquired - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 3:24 pm

S.D. wrote:
is that "At War With Satan"?

That was the first Venom album I got, in hindsight probably not the best first choice. Though it does bring back some foggy drug-induced teenage memories.

That's it. I only took a picture with the "break away" case open so you guys got what was special about the series. It was my first Venom album too, and no probably not the best first choice, but I still dig it.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Albums I Acquired   Albums I Acquired - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 4:30 pm

Just got this put on hold at Dimple:
Albums I Acquired - Page 3 Norm_front_781d
Looks like ti has Larry Coryell and John McLaughlin on it
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Albums I Acquired   Albums I Acquired - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 6:55 pm

Todays buys:
on cd:
Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events

on vinyl:
Zot - Zot
Igor Stravinsky - The Firebird: The Complete Ballet in the Original 1910 Orchestration (Columbia Symphony Orchestra / Stravinsky)
Andrés Segovia - An Andrés Segovia Program
Andrés Segovia - My Favorite Spanish Encores
Christopher Parkening - Debut Recordings Of The Young American Virtuoso - In The Spanish Style
Christopher Parkening - Debut Recordings Of The Young American Virtuoso - In The Classic Style
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Albums I Acquired   Albums I Acquired - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 7:45 pm

Arrived Today:
Yes - Fragile
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Albums I Acquired   Albums I Acquired - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 10:33 pm

Recently acquired:
Rush - Hemispheres
Yes - Tormato
Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of Madman: 2 Disk Legacy Edition
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Albums I Acquired   Albums I Acquired - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 1:53 am

Nice hauls broskis! Tormato is my fave Yes album.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Albums I Acquired   Albums I Acquired - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 9:33 am

I don't think I've heard hardly any of these Yes albums you guys talk about.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Albums I Acquired   Albums I Acquired - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 10:56 am

There are very few YES albums that I don't like, I think most of them are worth investigating.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Albums I Acquired   Albums I Acquired - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 11:38 am

The next one I plan on getting is Relayer, and then Tales From Topographic Oceans.
And Shawn's right, just about every Yes album is good at least to some extent. I haven't heard anything from the 90's and up though.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Albums I Acquired   Albums I Acquired - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 12:50 pm

Metal-On-Metal wrote:
The next one I plan on getting is Relayer, and then Tales From Topographic Oceans.
And Shawn's right, just about every Yes album is good at least to some extent. I haven't heard anything from the 90's and up though.

"Tales" is generally considered their "magnum opus" and is quite a listen. Relayer is the first album with Patrick Moraz on keyboards (he went to the Moody Blues later on) and the arrangements are INSANE!

Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Albums I Acquired   Albums I Acquired - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 12:53 pm

S.D. wrote:
Metal-On-Metal wrote:

"Tales" is generally considered their "magnum opus" and is quite a listen. Relayer is the first album with Patrick Moraz on keyboards (he went to the Moody Blues later on) and the arrangements are INSANE!

Once I get those, I'll have all the "classic" Yes albums. I would just need Going for the One to round out the 70's collection of Yes. Then I would probably get 90215 after all of those.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Albums I Acquired   Albums I Acquired - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 3:07 pm

Akeldama wrote:

The only thing I don't like about Tormato is the godawful keyboard sound. If the keyboards had that same tone that they had on Fragile or Close to the Edge, this album would be much more enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Albums I Acquired   Albums I Acquired - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 4:10 pm

Metal-On-Metal wrote:
Akeldama wrote:

The only thing I don't like about Tormato is the godawful keyboard sound. If the keyboards had that same tone that they had on Fragile or Close to the Edge, this album would be much more enjoyable.

I forget what new keyboard he was using on that album. It really kills "Don't Kill The Whale".... though I still like it!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Albums I Acquired   Albums I Acquired - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 6:33 pm

Earlier this week I finally got my paws on Anthrax's WORSHIP MUSIC... me likee.

That's the first CD I've bought in almost two months. 2011 sucks. Sad
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Albums I Acquired   Albums I Acquired - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 3:38 am

I ordered my birthday haul the other day.

Yes - Drama, Relayer
Wishbone Ash - Live Dates
Rush - Moving Pictures
Idris Muhammad - Power of Soul
Queensryche - Empire
Fates Warning - No Exit
Savatage - Edge of Thorns
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Albums I Acquired   Albums I Acquired - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 3:59 am

Nice list!
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Albums I Acquired   Albums I Acquired - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 12:56 pm

I'm waiting for my ebay haul to come in. All on vinyl:
Caravan - In The Land Of Grey And Pink
Barclay James Harvest - Early Morning Onwards
Jimmy Smith - Prayer Meetin'
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Albums I Acquired   Albums I Acquired - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Albums I Acquired
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next