The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

THEM CROOKED VULTURES

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

THEM CROOKED VULTURES Empty
PostSubject: THEM CROOKED VULTURES   THEM CROOKED VULTURES I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 7:13 pm

THEM CROOKED VULTURES N28089o5jd8

Josh Homme, John Paul Jones & Dave Grohl prove that it's still possible to make an artistic rock album while keeping the snotty attitude and middle finger in the air indifference to trends. In other words, they do whatever the hell they want and that's the best compliment I can give to any band.

What does it sound like? Basically like a slightly more experimental variation of Queens Of The Stone Age, but there's nothing wrong with that. Homme continues to be one of the most interesting songwriters out there and this rhythm section is an absolute dream come true. Don't expect anything too normal here, as Josh's penchant for wackiness is on full display, acid trips without the acid.

John Paul Jones does supply some Zep heft to the proceedings, especially in songs like Elephants, No One Loves Me & Neither Do I, Reptiles and the tour de force of Warsaw Or The First Breath You Take After You Give Up. Even more enjoyable to me is his turn on clavinet during Scumbag Blues. His interaction with Grohl sounds as natural as can be.

There are definitely some "singles" on this record, but it's the uncompromising feeling of experimentation without a net that makes this one a winner. Repeated listenings ARE required to fully appreciate it. This one is high on my list of best albums of the year. Ignore the hype machine and just listen....

click - > SCUMBAG BLUES - Them Crooked Vultures
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: THEM CROOKED VULTURES   THEM CROOKED VULTURES I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 1:22 am

You guys SUCK! THEM CROOKED VULTURES 16180
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: THEM CROOKED VULTURES   THEM CROOKED VULTURES I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 1:25 am

Its good, I just havent been in the mood to listen to it again yet Very Happy "Mind Eraser, No Chaser" is probably my favorite track so far though
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: THEM CROOKED VULTURES   THEM CROOKED VULTURES I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 10:45 am

THis is tops on the want-list, I just haven't gotten around to getting it yet. I'm going to a music expo this weekend, maybe I'll find it there.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: THEM CROOKED VULTURES   THEM CROOKED VULTURES I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 2:06 pm

I've listened to it once and my first impression was that it's good but I've got so much music that it's been overlooked so far. I must admit I'm really into the new John Mayer album...go ahead and laugh.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: THEM CROOKED VULTURES   THEM CROOKED VULTURES I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 1:23 pm

Almost picked this up over the weekend, but I went with the new Fu Manchu album instead. There was only one copy of that one as opposed to the whole rack of Vulture albums. I'm expecting some gift cards for Christmas, so Them Crooked Vultures will probably have to wait till then. I'm done buying music for myself for now.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: THEM CROOKED VULTURES   THEM CROOKED VULTURES I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 6:56 pm

The more I listen to this the less I like it, although JPJ sounds friggin' good as ever. He is definitely the highlight of the album and the only reason I listen to this album is to hear his stuff. Josh Homme's style is not my cup o' tea but I admire the fact that they made the kind of album they wanted and to hell with what's in.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: THEM CROOKED VULTURES   THEM CROOKED VULTURES I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 2:44 am

Well, Josh is an odd cat that's for sure and possibly an acquired taste. I actually like this album more now than when I first got it. My initial expectations were something very different, so it took awhile to sink in.

I also think there's some very cool tunes on here, especially Bandoliers, Scumbag Blues and Dead End Friends.

This album was just supposed to be a fun little lark among friends, it was written and recorded quickly...so the imperfections are definitely there, but the pros outweigh the cons I think
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: THEM CROOKED VULTURES   THEM CROOKED VULTURES I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 10:27 am

I like this one alot, if just for Jones' bass playing. Some of the songs are a little weak, but as the detuned one stated, it was recorded fast, and that's always the case with most albums like that. However, it's fallen considerably from my inital impression of it.
Back to top Go down
Shawn

Shawn

PostSubject: Re: THEM CROOKED VULTURES   THEM CROOKED VULTURES I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 8:12 am

I love the band name...

I skimmed it in passing and liked what I heard, but I have yet to give this any real attention...

I love Dave Grohl, and I have liked QotSA when I've listened to them...and JPJ is already a legend, of course. I can't really offer an explanation as to why I've not bothered to look into this further. Of course, it took me 3 or 4 years after it came out to finally look into Probot too...
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: THEM CROOKED VULTURES   THEM CROOKED VULTURES I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 9:18 am

It's a "mood record", not in the easy listening variety, but in the "I need to be in the right mood for this" type of an album.

"Quirky" really is the best adjective I can think of to describe it.

I just played it the other day for the first time in a couple months and I still love it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: THEM CROOKED VULTURES   THEM CROOKED VULTURES I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

THEM CROOKED VULTURES
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Workshop :: Thick As A Brick :: Dr. Music-
Jump to: