The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?

Go down 
+6
MetalGuy71
S.D.
DeathCult
gershom
theJOKERiv
Akeldama
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?   New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 6:31 pm

Glad you guys are enjoying it, I personally didn't get much out of it. I'm beginning to think I've reached the "I'm too old for this" category of listener.

Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?   New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 7:00 pm

I have a friend who has been telling me that I need to check this out, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I mean, all I really need from Megadeth is Rust in Peace; that's a great album.

Is the album good though, on a whole? All I've heard was the first single, and it was pretty good.
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?   New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 7:14 pm

Metal-On-Metal wrote:
I have a friend who has been telling me that I need to check this out, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I mean, all I really need from Megadeth is Rust in Peace; that's a great album.

Is the album good though, on a whole? All I've heard was the first single, and it was pretty good.

I like it a lot and think it's a great album
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?   New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 8:03 pm

Personally I love the new album but as a 'Deth fanboy I like everything.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?   New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 9:03 pm

Metal-On-Metal wrote:

All you need? Nahh, the first four albums are must haves. Or at least Peace Sells.

The new album is great, one of the best most consistent new albums they've put out.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?   New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 1:39 am

Peace Sells is one of my favorite albums of the 1980's, that particular lineup with Poland and Gar was by far the most interesting.

I also love Rust In Peace, though I've never been a fan of Friedman's contributions to that album, luckily Dave put in one of his best performances and made up for it.

Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?   New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 2:56 am

S.D. wrote:
Peace Sells is one of my favorite albums of the 1980's, that particular lineup with Poland and Gar was by far the most interesting.

I also love Rust In Peace, though I've never been a fan of Friedman's contributions to that album, luckily Dave put in one of his best performances and made up for it.

Really?!?! I bought that about because that I knew Friedman was on it (I was one of those annoying Shrapnel Label buying guys....... and a guitarist at the time).

I still bust out those old Shrednel albums and jam them now and again.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?   New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 9:10 am

I've always dug Friedman's stuff on RIP, it only added to the killer stuff the 2 Daves did. Menza was spot on as well. From a technical standpoint RIP is the best they've ever done but IMO CTE was more well rounded musically and lyrically their best.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?   New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 12:09 pm

chewie wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Really?!?! I bought that about because that I knew Friedman was on it (I was one of those annoying Shrapnel Label buying guys....... and a guitarist at the time).

I still bust out those old Shrednel albums and jam them now and again.

I wasn't a fan of the shred-scene of the 80's. I was the annoying guy that would keep bringing up people like Hendrix and John McLaughlin when people would start raving about the shredder flavor of the month.

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?   New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 7:02 pm

I only liked Friedman in Megadeth. When I found out he was on R.I.P. it was pretty disappointing at first, but Dave pushed him into the mold pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?   New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 7:48 pm

I still like Marty, I got all his albums but one who's name escapes me really sucked!
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?   New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 8:06 pm

Meh, wankery. Most of my shred love is reserved for Vinnie Vincent haha.

Cacophony sucked too by the way.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?   New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 10:45 pm

DeathCult wrote:

psycho killer!
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?   New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 6:23 pm

I'm finishing my review of the new album right now and will post it later. Still diggin' it quite a bit, but does anyone else get the feeling they were aiming to recapture the glory a little bit on this one?
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?   New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 6:24 pm

chewie wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

psycho killer!

Well, I did like Hawaii.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?   New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 6:29 pm

DeathCult wrote:
I'm finishing my review of the new album right now and will post it later. Still diggin' it quite a bit, but does anyone else get the feeling they were aiming to recapture the glory a little bit on this one?

I concur wholeheartedly and they came pretty close too!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?   New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 11:12 am

This album will be in my top 5 for the year for sure. Way better than 'Endgame'.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?   New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 6:25 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
This album will be in my top 5 for the year for sure. Way better than 'Endgame'.

I'm liking 13 (I refuse to spell the title the way they did, fuckin wankers) more with each listen. "Endgame" was a great record, but this feels more natural then going for that balls out thrash vibe again. There's a couple tracks I don't particularly like, but not only is this good, it's damn catchy too. Something Deth sort of lost over the years.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?   New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 7:57 pm

13 does feel more natural but I don't care for the remakes but it's still head and shoulders above Endgame. Endgame has a couple really good songs but Broderick was too mechanical, not too technical but mechanical.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?   New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 8:07 pm

Akeldama wrote:
13 does feel more natural but I don't care for the remakes but it's still head and shoulders above Endgame. Endgame has a couple really good songs but Broderick was too mechanical, not too technical but mechanical.

I agree, not a real fan of him actually. I liked Endgame quite a bit because I like speed metal, but some of it was quite samey. I don't mind the re-records that much, I actually like a couple of them better like this. Honestly, I think this record is a little too long. If you cut the 3 tracks that kind of blow it'd work much better.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?   New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 9:21 am

I jammed Endhgame the other day and liked it more than ever. My problem is still w/Broderick, he does way too much sweep picking throughout the whole album...
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?   New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 12:10 pm

I still remember this Al DiMeola quote from the 80's.

"Sweep Picking is cheating" Razz
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?   New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 12:25 pm

S.D. wrote:
I still remember this Al DiMeola quote from the 80's.

"Sweep Picking is cheating" Razz

Ha! Nice one! When used very very very very sparingly I don't mind it...much...
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?   New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 2:49 pm

"Super Collider" seems like it'll be pretty versatile and heavy. I'm so looking forward to it but as I listen to Testament's "Dark Roots Of Earth" I can't help but think Skolnick and Petersen are every bit as technical as Chris Broderick but with more flavor. Don't get me wrong Chris is a technical beast albeit a "Mechagodzilla" if you will and I hope he adds some substance to his solos this time around. I do think he added a little bit more on "13" but "Endgame" was pure technique...
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?   New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 1:25 am

I think I'm content listening to Rust In Peace and earlier when I get in the mood to hear them, nothing against the band, it's just none of their recent material seems to do anything for me.

Alot of bands fall into that category with me; Metallica, Anthrax, Overkill, Testament...most of the thrash groups from that era I have drop-dead stopping points where I'm not really interested in anything afterward. The only exception seems to be Slayer, not sure why really.

I kind of feel I only need to have about 20 albums of that genre in my collection, that is more than sufficient to cover my thrash needs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?   New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Megs Album "Modern Sounding"?
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next