The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle... Empty
PostSubject: Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle...   Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle... I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 3:22 pm

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle...   Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle... I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 4:16 pm

lol!

Awesome. I wonder how much coke Buddy snorted up prior to that? Probably enough to kill a muppet.

Here's another kind of "drum battle" that you should check out:

Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle... 51%2BUHHNrhDL._SL500_AA300_

Gene Krupa big band vs. Buddy Rich big band. Don't look for subtlety, but it's an ASSKICKER.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle...   Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle... I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 10:50 pm

Nice recommendation SD, I'll check that out ASAP, I have no Buddy Rich albums but I've always thought he kicked arse.

Last edited by Akeldama on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle...   Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle... I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 2:47 pm

Just ordered these:

Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle... 708cc060ada00ebd60f79110.L._AA300_
Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle... 511-6uyOc-L._SL500_AA300_
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle...   Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle... I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 2:56 pm

excellent! The "Max Roach" band from that era is really killer...and he's one of the premier bebop/hard bop drummers.

There is also an album called "Max Roach + 4" that you should grab someday, 1950's equivalent of speed metal (play as fast and hard as humanly possible). Wild stuff!

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle...   Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle... I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 2:58 pm

In what order would you rate Rich, Krupa and Roach, D?
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle...   Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle... I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 3:04 pm

Well, that's kind of tough.

Krupa came first, out of the big band school...HIP as hell, first jazz group to feature an interracial band (he featured a white female vocalist - Anita O'Day, and a black trumpeter - Roy Elddrige) in the early 1940's. That raised alot of eyebrows and limited his commercial appeal, but he stuck to his guns and refused to fire Roy. Good for him! Roy was a monster player.

Rich is probably the most "formulaic" of the bunch, not really that into his stuff, but he did some great records in the mid-Sixties when he hired an all new band.

Roach and Kenny Clarke are considered to be the first two "bebop" drummers. They moved keeping time from the kick drum to the ride cymbal and used the kick for accents instead. That has remained the jazz drumming standard ever since.

Clarke is on countless recordings. I like pretty much every Max Roach album I've ever heard.

If you wanna hear Max in action with a couple other legends; grab the CD "Money Jungle", it's a truly classic piano trio album featuring Max, Charles Mingus & Duke Ellington on piano. A must-own jazz recording.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle...   Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle... I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 1:43 pm

Rich Versus Roach is so bad ass, I'm not reading anything on the liner notes to see if I can distinguish between the two and it seems like Rich is on the left channel and more snare based and Roach is on the right channel and seemingly THEE first blastbeater IMO. Killer ass stuff.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle...   Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle... I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 1:58 pm

I'd have to find it and re-listen to be sure.

Max essentially had 4 arms and legs. LOL

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle...   Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle... I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 2:04 pm

Was anybody doing that kinda drumming before Roach, SD?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle...   Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Two Forces Of Nature In An All Out Drum Battle...
Page 1 of 1