The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Axemen Deathmatch

Go down 
+7
DeathCult
gershom
theJOKERiv
SpectreFate
Fat Freddy
S.D.
Akeldama
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Axemen Deathmatch Empty
PostSubject: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 4:37 pm

Ok, this is a head to head duel between two guitarists, no rules but take everything about them into consideration. The first battle is:

Jake E. Lee vs George Lynch (Lee beat out Lynch for the Oz gig). Please discuss.

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Axemen Deathmatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 5:05 pm

Jake E. Lee by a wide margin.

Don't get me wrong, I think Lynch is a great lead guitarist with a fantastic command of tone. But the problem? His rhythm playing is boring as hell, he has an extremely limited chordal vocabulary and tends to constantly repeat himself.

The other reason I like Jake is because his influences extend beyond "EVH". Sure, he was influenced by him, but he also understands the earlier styles and doesn't sound completely lost when playing a blues riff or navigating a shuffle groove.

All around skill is more impressive to me than lightning fast solo chops.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Axemen Deathmatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 5:56 pm

Damn dude, spot friggin' on. I'm not even going to post my thoughts, I'll just say "ditto". Great post SD.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

Axemen Deathmatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 9:39 pm

Lynch could probably bench press Jake E. Lee though, and he had that cool skunk streak in his hair, too. Doesn't that count for somethin'? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Axemen Deathmatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 9:43 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Lynch could probably bench press Jake E. Lee though, and he had that cool skunk streak in his hair, too. Doesn't that count for somethin'? Very Happy

lol!

Of course, I give him points for style...but Jake has more impressive hair. Razz
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Axemen Deathmatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 9:59 pm

Ok for match #2 I'm looking for a good opponent for

Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick
SpectreFate

Axemen Deathmatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 10:00 pm

Akeldama wrote:
Ok for match #2 I'm looking for a good opponent for

Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser.

Leslie West is comparable.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Axemen Deathmatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 10:02 pm

That is who came to mind!

Match #2
Buck Dharma vs Leslie West
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Axemen Deathmatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 10:19 pm

A truly hard one there. I'm actually more familiar with Buck. West I know primarily from the hits and from the Nantucket Sleighride album.

I need to investigate further. So for now, I say it's a "tie".

Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

Axemen Deathmatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 10:30 pm

Going with Buck for the board theme!!!!
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Axemen Deathmatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 11:03 pm

Well, I'm going for Buck, he is more creative and goes beyond the Blues motif a lot more than West. One listen to the Burnin' For You solo would seal it for me everytime.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

Axemen Deathmatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 10:52 am

Jake E. Lee for match #1 (i like lynch too but prefer lees ozzy stuff)

Buck Dharma for match #2 (mostly cause I'm not sure who the other dude is, and i love the oyster man)
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Axemen Deathmatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 5:04 pm

Leslie West was the Guitarist in Mountain, West, Bruce and Laing, etc.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Axemen Deathmatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 5:10 pm

Next Match:

Ted Nugent vs. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)

I'll let people ponder that one for a bit. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Axemen Deathmatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 5:12 pm

Oh damn, I already have a winner but I will stew on this for a day. Good match-up.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

Axemen Deathmatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 7:02 pm

On instinct I want to say Nugent I love his work on Stranglehold but I can't, I have to go with Alvin Lee (thank you for telling me what band he plays for) cause I love Ten Years After they have always been some good jams to jam, were as I have to be in the mood for Nugent.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Axemen Deathmatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 7:25 pm

Screw it, I'll state my pick. Alvin Lee is a no-brainer, he had some serious chops and is superior to Ted in the lead guitar department. I think the Nuge had more grit in his tone and that's the only reason why he might seem like the better rhythm guitarist.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Axemen Deathmatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 10:00 pm

The reason I decided to compare them was because how similar the styles are, even though Ted leaned more toward the goofball than Alvin did (though he could be silly as hell too).

They were essentially contemporaries if you follow Nugent back to through his tenure with The Amboy Dukes. But...Ted, for all his talent, doesn't have the depth of skill that Alvin has...and he's not nearly as good of a songwriter.

I would give Ted more credit if he had ever been able to match the quality of his debut album, but he couldn't, he essentially got worse with each album as he ran out of songs and once the quality of his sideman lessened.

Sure, Stranglehold is a masterpiece of a tune, but where was the followup? Why was he never able to reach that height again? Because he had a shallow pool to draw from and he simply ran out of ideas.

Alvin wrote some really clever tunes. "I'd Love To Change The World" is hilarious, it's a hippie tune about a guy being too apathetic to care about anything. "I'd love to change the world, but I don't know what to do...so I'll leave it up to you." That's actually rather profound.

and nobody ever used that adjective to describe the "motor city madman".

Alvin definitely for the win.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Axemen Deathmatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 2:54 pm

Next match:

Gary Moore vs Michael Schenker
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Axemen Deathmatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Sleep
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Axemen Deathmatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 6:22 pm

I don't know. I admire both players, but I'm also not a huge fan of either one. I guess I'll vote for Moore primarily because of the Thin Lizzy angle.

Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

Axemen Deathmatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 8:32 pm

I'm going to go with Gary Moore also, he can jam some good blues stuff as well as rock.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Axemen Deathmatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 8:35 pm

I'm voting for Moore as well, even though I'm not too big on his Blues stuff his Metal and Rock stuff is great! He has fast fingers, killer vibrato but doesn't wank too much.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Axemen Deathmatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 8:37 pm

He also has written some of the best slow jams (musically speaking)ever.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Axemen Deathmatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 8:49 pm

This next match-up comes from me thinking either one of these guys should be considered the real King Of Rock 'n' Roll. I can't decide who deserves the title more.

Buddy Holly vs Chuck Berry
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Axemen Deathmatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Axemen Deathmatch
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next