The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Axemen Deathmatch

Go down 
+7
DeathCult
gershom
theJOKERiv
SpectreFate
Fat Freddy
S.D.
Akeldama
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 8:58 pm

yikes.

Gotta go with Chuck Berry. Buddy Holly is fantastic, but Chuck was the "missing link" between T-Bone Walker and Rock N Roll, he essentially perfected the template that everyone else still follows.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 9:08 pm

You are so right, based on that I'd say Chuck but Buddy is a sentimental fave and is no slouch on the guitar either. I'm torn between fact and sentimentality.i
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 9:55 pm

Buddy was probably a more accomplished songwriter (though Berry was far from a slouch) and he had his own little twist on things. As far as just "guitar" though, Chuck pretty much flattened all challengers in the rock n roll world of the late 50's/early 60's.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 10:20 pm

Agreed. As much as I wanna say Buddy, I have to say Chuck...the proof is there.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 8:22 pm

Up next:

Randy Rhoads vs EVH

Ding ding!
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 8:37 pm

Ugh. I knew this would show up eventually.

EVH for rhythm
Randy for lead

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 8:39 pm

I had to, nobody answered the other ones so I had to go w/an obvious one.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 8:48 pm

no worries, you have two 1/2 votes from me. Use them as a tiebreaker. LOL

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 3:20 am

I prefer Rhoads on both lead and rhythm, he had more of a repertoire and covered Classical more than Ed and even had some Waltz like stuff going on on 'Dee' towards the end and could also play bluesy pentatonic licks. Eddie did have the better tone though, nice and thick w/a bite. Sadly we only have 4 studio albums of Randy.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 6:47 am

For the Chuck and Buddy I have to go with Chuck Berry, but Buddy is pretty damn good too.

As for Rhodes and EVH? as much as I love Rhodes I'll have to go with Eddie on this one, he's just been around and put out quite a bit of good jams over the years, but I think Rhodes would have surpassed Eddie if he was still around, kinda like how Zack Wilde broke away from the Ozzman and has Black Label I think Randy would have eventually had some pretty awesome side band too, yeah that would have been cool.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 11:51 am

Zakk bores me to tears, he was kind of cool on the first couple Ozzy discs, but his trickbag is unfortunately rather small. Only so many times I can hear an artificial harmonic squeal before I get sick of it.

The BLS stuff I've heard sounds forced and tired.

I'll listen to a master like Wino instead.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 12:05 pm

Yeah, Zakk wore out the artificial harmonic real quick, thanks for bringing him up. I was gonna use him in the next match-up but can't now. I gotta find another opponent for Mr. Gibbons...
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 12:10 pm

Up next:

Billy Gibbons vs Ricky Medlocke
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 12:53 pm

Billy Gibbons shouldn't be compared to anybody, his is his own category.

Easy vote for Mr. Gibbons vs. Blackfoot.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 12:57 pm

Agreed, I can't think of a good opponent for him. Medlocke kicks ass but he no Billy, I was gonna pair him up w/Zakk due to the harmonics factor but Billy is quite creative w/pinch harmonics.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 2:06 pm

#1: Jake E. Lee
#2: Buck Dharma
#3: Alvin Lee
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 3:28 pm

Billy Gibbons
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 12:24 am

Ok, let's try to resurrect this from the dead...

Josh Homme vs Scott "Wino" Weinrich
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 12:29 am

Hmm, tough one. but in the end, I go with Wino
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 7:22 am

Yeah same here, Wino has one of the best right hands is the biz.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 11:47 am

Wino, but they are VERY different players, Josh has a completely different mindset to the way he approaches guitar.

Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 12:03 pm

I'm going to have to say Wino, Those Hidden Hand albums win this alone, hell I'm not too familiar with Hommes style, never jammed any Queens of the Stone Age, wouldn't know em' if I heard em'.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 12:18 pm

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 12:33 pm

gershom wrote:
I'm going to have to say Wino, Those Hidden Hand albums win this alone, hell I'm not too familiar with Hommes style, never jammed any Queens of the Stone Age, wouldn't know em' if I heard em'.

QOTSA is killer man, you should at least pick up "Songs For The Deaf"
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 2:38 pm

Well I'm bought on the QOTSA, if every thing they do sounds as cool as the clip S.D. posted, pretty cool man, I had the wrong idea of what they sounded like, I'll have to check out that album DC thanks man.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Axemen Deathmatch   Axemen Deathmatch - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Axemen Deathmatch
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next