The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Skunkworks

Go down 
+4
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
S.D.
Akeldama
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Skunkworks Empty
PostSubject: Skunkworks   Skunkworks I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 2:42 pm

A totally underrated album by Bruce Dickinson. This is worth getting especially if you can get the 2-Disc version. I can't believe the critics panned this album.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Skunkworks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunkworks   Skunkworks I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 3:40 pm

Critics were expecting Dickinson to come out with an album that sounded just like Iron Maiden. When he didn't, they lambasted him for it.

Thats why I don't pay any attention to "metal critics", they are generally just as dumb as many of the fans.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

Skunkworks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunkworks   Skunkworks I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 4:26 pm

That album is a rather recent addition to my solo Bruce collection, so while I may not have lived with it for very long, I never had any problems with it. Liked it from the first spin. Damn fine album if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Skunkworks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunkworks   Skunkworks I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 4:56 pm

Yeah man, I really saw how diverse Bruce was upon jamming it...I hate when people expect a solo album to sound just like an album from said person's band.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

Skunkworks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunkworks   Skunkworks I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 7:07 pm

It's a strange one for sure. When it came out in '96 it got such universally bad reviews that I avoided it like the plague.

Years later I happened to find it on cassette at a dollar store (!!), and curiosity got the better of me. I liked it well enough, I guess, but I still have yet to upgrade it to CD.

My favorite song from the Skunkworks band is "I'm In A Band With An Italian Drummer," which was on the B-side to one of the album's singles. it's like Zappa meets Monty Python.

"He's really Italian, he's hung like a stallion; his cock's too long to fit in this song!" lol!

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Skunkworks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunkworks   Skunkworks I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 7:14 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Skunkworks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunkworks   Skunkworks I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 7:26 pm

That song is on disc 2.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

Skunkworks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunkworks   Skunkworks I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 7:35 pm

Akeldama wrote:
That song is on disc 2.

Yep, it is. I suppose I should've mentioned that. Very Happy

It's also on the bonus 2nd disc that came with Bruce's "Best-Of" that came out in 2000 or '01, I forget which. That's where I first heard it.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Skunkworks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunkworks   Skunkworks I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 7:52 pm

I "found" a copy of the original release, I'll spin it later and see if I still like it.

Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

Skunkworks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunkworks   Skunkworks I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 10:59 pm

I like the Rush sound the guitars have on this album. I never understood the panning of it either. I wish that he would do another Skunkworks album.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Skunkworks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunkworks   Skunkworks I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 11:04 pm

You're right FF.

And yes chewie, another one like that would be kewl.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Skunkworks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunkworks   Skunkworks I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 11:09 pm

Bruce sounds right at home singing more melodic material and this album is a classy showcase for a different side to his personality.

I've always felt that he probably would have continued down this path if this album had been more enthusiastically received. But alas, the sales weren't there, so he had to heavy things back up for his subsequent records.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Skunkworks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunkworks   Skunkworks I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 11:12 pm

Yeah, that's why the 2-Disc is essential.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Skunkworks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunkworks   Skunkworks I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 11:13 pm

I'll have to track that down at some point, too many items on the want list already.

Back to top Go down
Shawn

Shawn

Skunkworks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunkworks   Skunkworks I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 4:43 pm

A strong, melodic, progressive album....excellent release.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Skunkworks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunkworks   Skunkworks I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 4:56 pm

Shawn wrote:
A strong, melodic, progressive album....excellent release.

I jammed it twice last night, a really great record.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

Skunkworks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunkworks   Skunkworks I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 3:43 pm

I've never listened to this before today, just jammed the first disc, but not really sure what to make of it yet.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

Skunkworks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunkworks   Skunkworks I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 3:53 pm

Jammed this earlier today, good stuff, prefer disc 2 to disc 1 personally.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

Skunkworks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunkworks   Skunkworks I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 4:57 pm

After a second listen, some of the songs on this album are great, and I love Bruce's voice on here. But, the production would definitely keep me from listening to this, it's a little too overly melodic/lite, it's got that real streamlined sound to it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Skunkworks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunkworks   Skunkworks I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Skunkworks
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Workshop :: Thick As A Brick :: Dr. Music-
Jump to: