The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Shawn

PostSubject: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:54 pm

Beginning when I was at the beach the week of July 11, I am finding myself drawn more and more to my personal all-time favorites and not being bored or put off by them as I had been for a while. Much of the new (to me) music I have been digesting these last several weeks/couple months is beginning to lose its initial lustre.

I was so, so sick of everything related to AOR (and still am, actually) and my Prog/Power roots were long buried. I have been purposely avoiding much of what I am actually in love with musically in an attempt to uncover new layers or bands/artists I had missed/avoided initially. It was fun, a lot of fun actually, and some of it is going to stick.

But a lot of it is just not. Now, I am left with a bunch of CDs I have no use for. It was fun getting to know them and hearing new sounds, but now I no longer want them. I don't think they suck, I just think they served their purpose for me.

I made a list of bands who, to me, are vital and essential to my musical identity (and it's still quite a long and varied list) but much of what I have been buying recently is just not going to find its way on to the list.

I must be getting old. Neutral
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:23 pm

I go back and forth with stuff. I'll be all gung-ho metal for awhile and then switch to a time where I can't stomach it. It's weird, but it's good to explore.
Back to top Go down
Shawn

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:33 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
I go back and forth with stuff. I'll be all gung-ho metal for awhile and then switch to a time where I can't stomach it. It's weird, but it's good to explore.

Yeah, I think next time I feel like "going exploring" I will just dial up stuff on Pandora for a few days and get it out of my system. Ha!

Meanwhile, I have about 80 CDs to unload...
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:45 pm

Quote :

Oof!

Back to top Go down
Shawn

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:48 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :

Oof!

Oof, indeed.
Back to top Go down
chewie

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:16 pm

I always figured that music was a journey and things that were picked up and dropped off were part of it.

Hey, it's all about what makes you musically happy anyway, it's personal that way..... It is your collection after all, your journey.

Take a step back and maybe a year or two later you might enjoy those albums again.
Back to top Go down
Shawn

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:40 pm

chewie wrote:
I always figured that music was a journey and things that were picked up and dropped off were part of it.

Hey, it's all about what makes you musically happy anyway, it's personal that way..... It is your collection after all, your journey.

Take a step back and maybe a year or two later you might enjoy those albums again.

Yeah, like I said...some of it stuck, some of it did not. Tastes definitely change over the years, they come and go and all that stuff...a journey is a good way to put it.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:10 pm

List some of these said bands Shawn.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:49 pm

I had a 3-year cleanse where I listened to a bunch of metal...but that was really a palette cleanse for me as well. Now I feel like I'm back on my "usual footing" that I was on prior to joining HOM back in 2008.

Namely that improvised and/or progressive music is where my real interest lies.

So for me it will be lots of jazz, outward-leaning experimental heavy stuff, prog rock, fusion and some doom/stoner style jam rock...and LIVE MUSIC...bands that stretch out live and don't do the same things over and over.

Going back and revisiting all the 80's and 90's bands were fun, but I too feel that it's purpose was served.

Back to top Go down
Shawn

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:56 pm

Akeldama wrote:
List some of these said bands Shawn.

Here's the CDs I want to unload:

Alice Cooper Love It to Death
Alice Cooper Killer
Alice Cooper School's Out
Bob Dylan The Essential Bob Dylan (2CD)
Bob Marley Gold (2CD)
Bob Mould Black Sheets of Rain
Bob Mould Body of Song [Deluxe Edition] (box)
Bruce Springsteen Nebraska
Chapterhouse Blood Music (2CD)
Deadboy and the Elephantmen We Are Night Sky
Dinosaur Jr. Fossils
Drummer Feel Good Together
Elliott Smith An Introduction to... Elliott Smith
Ether Aura Crash
Ether Aura Before We Could Sing
Fleming & John Delusions of Grandeur
Frank Black Frank Black
Jason Falkner Can You Still Feel?
Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced (CD/DVD)
Jimi Hendrix Axis: Bold as Love (CD/DVD)
Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland (CD/DVD)
John Grant Queen of Denmark
Jucifer Calling All Cars on the Vegas Strip
Jucifer I Name You Destroyer
Lenny Kravitz Are You Gonna Go My Way
Lenny Kravitz Circus
Love and Rockets Love and Rockets
Low I Could Live in Hope
Low Long Division
Low Secret Name
Melvins Stoner Witch
Melvins (A) Senile Animal
Mojave 3 Ask Me Tomorrow
Morphine Good
My Bloody Valentine Loveless
Neil Finn Try Whistling This
Oasis Be Here Now
Oasis Standing on the Shoulder of Giants
Oasis Dig Out Your Soul
Pedro the Lion Achilles Heel
Pixies Bossanova
Pop Levi The Return to Form Black Magick Party
Pop Levi Never Never Love
Queen A Night At The Opera (2CD)
Radiohead The Bends
Radiohead OK Computer
Ramones Ramones Mania
Red House Painters Down Colorful Hill
Remy Zero The Golden Hum
Richard Ashcroft Alone With Everybody
Seal Seal (1991)
Seal Seal (1994)
Slowdive Souvlaki
Sonic Youth Goo
Starflyer 59 Easy Come, Easy Go (2CD)
Starflyer 59 Can't Stop Eating EP
Stereophonics Just Enough Education to Perform
Stereophonics Pull the Pin (CD/DVD)
Swag Catch All
The Breeders Last Splash
The Church Under the Milky Way: The Best of The Church
The Doors The Very Best of The Doors (2CD)
The Hellacopters High Visibility
The Juliana Theory Music From Another Room
The Pink Spiders Hot Pink
The Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (2CD)
The Smiths Best . . . I
The Strawberry Smell Odorama
Travis Good Feeling
Travis The Man Who
Travis The Invisible Band
Travis Singles
Urge Overkill Saturation
Vigilantes of Love Welcome to Struggleville
Vigilantes of Love Audible Sigh (2CD)
Voivod Katorz
Waltham Waltham
16 Horsepower Low Estate
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:02 pm

he's getting rid of all his good music, grab it up! lol!

If I had the funds I'd grab a few things from you, but I'm not in disposable cash mode at the moment.

Back to top Go down
Shawn

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:17 pm

S.D. wrote:
I had a 3-year cleanse where I listened to a bunch of metal...but that was really a palette cleanse for me as well. Now I feel like I'm back on my "usual footing" that I was on prior to joining HOM back in 2008.

Namely that improvised and/or progressive music is where my real interest lies.

So for me it will be lots of jazz, outward-leaning experimental heavy stuff, prog rock, fusion and some doom/stoner style jam rock...and LIVE MUSIC...bands that stretch out live and don't do the same things over and over.

Going back and revisiting all the 80's and 90's bands were fun, but I too feel that it's purpose was served.

You know, I think forums helped contribute to my issue as well. Not necessarily in a bad way, but prior to really getting involved in forums, way back in 1999, I knew "who I was", so to speak. I have discovered bands through the internet that I would not have otherwise, but it also was overwhelming. Bands, bands, bands everywhere. All this music. I felt like I had to hear it all. Sometimes I like to think I am more open minded than I probably really am. I can hear the value in something and, sometimes, that might have tricked me into thinking I was a fan of it or that I could at least reach for it and listen to it more than once. Many times, I have been proven wrong. Hearing the value in music and being a fan of it are two very different things.
Back to top Go down
Shawn

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:21 pm

S.D. wrote:

Bite me... What a Face I am keeping and am a huge fan of King's X (and solo/side), The Beatles (and solo), U2, Alice In Chains, early Queensryche, Dream Theater, Soundgarden, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, early Kansas, Rush, Bigelf, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Fates Warning, Sarah McLachlan, Toad The Wet Sprocket, Duran Duran, Black Sabbath (Ozzy & Dio), Rainbow (Dio), Dio, Heaven & Hell, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, etc...
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:50 pm

I was joking of course.

I got into jazz as quickly as I did because of message boards, it also helped that the message board I posted on was made up of industry pros and insiders (musicians, record label owners, producers, writers).

That was around 1997 and I was in DIRE NEED of new music at that point, having reached the end of the rope with metal and hard rock and feeling like I was stranded on an alien planet with no hope of music that could reach other places.

But then the jazz bug hit and those guys on that message board led to friends in real life and many other good things. I don't regret that for a minute.

2008 when I joined HOM I needed a break from what I had been listening to and was enjoying a nostalgia kick thanks to newer bands like Witchcraft, The Sword, Graveyard, etc. That's what led me to go back and revisit all the old metal stuff.

Now it's 3 years later, I still like all those newer bands I mentioned, but no longer feel the need to repurchase stuff like Metallica or Megadeth or Savatage or Judas Priest or any of the other bands I loved when I was a teenager and then grew out of in my 20's.

Not a slight against those bands, just not who I am anymore.

But I did discover quite a few artists during those 3 years that will be permanent parts of my existence going forward, so it was totally worth the nostalgia detour.

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:51 pm

Shawn wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Bite me... What a Face I am keeping and am a huge fan of King's X (and solo/side), The Beatles (and solo), U2, Alice In Chains, early Queensryche, Dream Theater, Soundgarden, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, early Kansas, Rush, Bigelf, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Fates Warning, Sarah McLachlan, Toad The Wet Sprocket, Duran Duran, Black Sabbath (Ozzy & Dio), Rainbow (Dio), Dio, Heaven & Hell, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, etc...

I'm actually surprised you didn't like the Alice Cooper enough to keep it.

Shawn

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:21 pm

Yeah, sometime around 1993 I began discovering Prog Metal with Dream Theater & Fates Warning. I was already a Metal and 80s Rock fan. Once the Prog bug bit, it was all over for a period of years. I snatched up everything I could get my hands on that was on Inside Out, Magna Carta, Sensory plus other more established Metal labels.

After the Prog thing died out, I began to get disillusioned with the Metal scene in general and began to look outside of it. Forums and the internet helped with that too.

Like I said, I seem to like to think I am more open minded than I actually am. I would go off on tangents, but always end up back "home" so to speak. I've been up and down a lot of musical roads since I got involved in the internet. Sometimes it's almost like I forget myself and try to be someone else. I know that sounds cliche and melodramatic, but it's true.

Anyway, some of the artists I discovered on my journeys have stuck but I always seem to end up back where my roots are.
Back to top Go down
Shawn

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:22 pm

DeathCult wrote:
Shawn wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I'm actually surprised you didn't like the Alice Cooper enough to keep it.

I am keeping the hits CD...which is really all I need. I heard some cool album tracks, but at this point they are not going to overtake the hits.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:27 pm

I guess I'm thankful that my roots were varied my entire life, that way I didn't get too stuck in one thing.

Even if I think back to my pre-teen years (5-9 or so), the albums that I played the most (and I didn't own many) were all over the map:

American Graffiti Soundtrack
Janis Joplin - Pearl
Kiss - Rock N Roll Over, Alive, Destroyer, Alive II
Boston - debut
Heart - Dreamboat Annie, Little Queen, Dog & Butterfly
Seals & Crofts - Diamond Girl
Queen - News Of The World
Kansas - Point Of Know Return
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon, A Collection Of Great Dance Songs, The Wall
Gordon Lightfoot's Greatest Hits
The Doobie Brothers - What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits, The Captain & Me, The Best of The Doobies
Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits
Jethro Tull - Stormwatch
The Eagles - Greatest Hits Vol. 1, Hotel California
E.L.O. - Out Of The Blue

That's just off the top of my head and all prior to 1980.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:30 pm

I still like Diamond Girl...I gotta jam it now.
Back to top Go down
manny

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:06 pm

Alot of that music and bands you listed Shawn are some of my favorites, I could not imagine my life without The Doors, Bob Dylan or Jimi Hendrix, and some of the artist that you are keeping were very influenced by those same artist you are ditching.

I love some many genres of music, I keep everything I buy and its fun to revisit it from time to time
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:24 am

It's cool though, I say keep what you *feel* and get rid of what you don't. Those musical journeys are worthwhile, even if you only pick up on a few things that you completely dig. Even one artist is enough.

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:10 am

S.D. wrote:
It's cool though, I say keep what you *feel* and get rid of what you don't. Those musical journeys are worthwhile, even if you only pick up on a few things that you completely dig. Even one artist is enough.

X2

I thoroughly support that statement. I could live on Blue Oyster Cult alone.

Shawn

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:18 am

DeathCult wrote:
S.D. wrote:

X2

I thoroughly support that statement. I could live on Blue Oyster Cult alone.

Yeah, that's kind of where I am. I realize that, for example, King's X & dUg Pinnick were heavily influenced by Jimi Hendrix. But while I enjoyed listening to those Hendrix albums, especially after going my whole life only knowing the hits, they're not something that's going to sink into my psyche the way King's X has. Likewise, I know Eddie Van Halen loved Eric Clapton, but I am just not a Clapton fan.

People might like Line Of Fire, but I don't expect them to run out and buy Hall & Oates or Sam Cooke records (2 artists I loved growing up).

Like I said, it's been a nice little journey. I've enjoyed it and I think all the records on my unload list are good records...I hear their value. They are just not going to sink in and become favorites at this point in my life.

Growing up, from the time I was probably 5 or 6, I have always loved music. My mom and grandmother were big Elvis fans and big Motown fans. Until I started buying my own music, I listened to (and loved) Elvis, Sam Cooke, Gladys Knight, Jackie Wilson, The Temptations and Nancy Wilson (not the Heart guitarist). They both hated The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, etc. My great-grandfather was into Country, so I also heard George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Loretta Lynn, Conway Twitty, Kenny Rogers, Willie Nelson, etc.

Then when MTV hit (I was 10), I loved U2, Duran Duran, David Bowie (thinking he was new), Peter Gabriel (thinking he was new), Michael Jackson, Culture Club, Pat Benatar, Hall & Oates, Nena, Lionel Richie, Billy Squier, etc.

When I began buying my own music, the first 2 albums (tapes) I recall buying with my own money were Pyromania and Frontiers...I was 12. That began my love affair with Metal and AOR.

When I was 16, I became a Christian and went heavily into Christian Rock and Metal. I was there when Bloodgood, Barren Cross, Saint, Dual Edge, Sacred Warrior, Whitecross, Vengeance, Deliverance, etc all were putting out their first albums.

In the mid 90s, my wife and I were young parents and my perspectives were changing. I began listening to the radio a bit and discovered Toad The Wet Sprocket, Matchbox 20, Collective Soul, etc. I was also heavily into my Prog Metal phase at this point...Dream Theater, Fates Warning mainly...with Vanden Plas, Kamelot, Lemur Voice, Enchant, Shadow Gallery, Conception, Superior, and Iced Earth coming along a little later.

Then the internet hit. Oversaturation to the hilt! I was obsessed! I could not get enough music and talking about it. In the period of time between 1999 and now, I have delved into many, many different kinds of music. From The Pixies to Immolation...from The Doors to Pedro The Lion...from Johnny Cash to Voivod. All over the map.

Part of what contributed to my AOR/Metal burnout was being in Line Of Fire. That band has received the most attention of anything I have ever done. I had to do a lot of what I call schmoozing. Many of our fans were "AOR/Metal only" and I felt pressure to keep up for fear of being deemed a fake or whatever. Burnout city. That contributed to my recent booting of AOR/Metal and heading into 70s and Alternative music.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:16 am

Great thread I must say, it's been an interesting read.
Back to top Go down
manny

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:26 am

I sometime understand where both Shawn's are coming from. I have a huge collection of music and there are some things in my collection I do not listen to often, but I keep them because I know at some point I will revisit them.

Maybe because as I have got older I have grown to appreciate even more artist like Hendrix, that I find it strange that their music does not stick them and get alligned to their soul. But we all process music different etc.

I was obsessed with music way before I joined any boards, actually I only belong to three boards, HoM, and this one, the other one I never visit. But it was not til I was 19 that I went outside the metal/classic rock/blues genre and it opened up a world of music to me, alot of the music I started liking, alot of my friends hated but I didn't give a rat's ass.

Shawn I am glad you enjoyed the journey and it will not be the last one you make, and hopefully some of these artists that you are going to unload, you will go back and revisit some time in the future.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   

Back to top Go down

I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next