The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:10 am

I would say that my tendency would be the opposite of what Shawn's is. I get more from the "source" than I do from the artists that were inspired by the source.

So, while King's X is one of my favorite bands of all time, I'd get rid of them way before I'd dump my Hendrix.

Same goes for any band influenced by Zeppelin or Sabbath, none of them would ever overtake those bands in my head.

But that's just me.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:38 pm

I'm just recently getting over a "no thrash metal" phase. Wasn't purchasing or listening to any thrash. No real reason, just taking a break from the all-out assault on my eardrums.

So I switched over to stoner and some prog rock for a little while to "cleanse the palate" as you Americans say. Even going back to my glammy hair metal roots, like slipping into a well-worn, comfy leather gimp suit and ball-gag.

I'm dipping my toe in the waters again a little with the thrash, but I'm enjoying the thick, fuzzy grooves too much right now. Fu Manchu is just such great summer drving music.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:40 pm

Quote :
Fu Manchu is just such great summer drving music.

You are correct monkey-man.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:55 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :
Fu Manchu is just such great summer drving music.

You are correct monkey-man.

I've never listened to Fu-Manchu, what are they like?
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:08 pm

Akeldama wrote:

I've never listened to Fu-Manchu, what are they like?

Fu Manchu (especially the early albums with Eddie Glass) sounds like pot smoke does going into your lungs. If that doesn't describe it enough, please listen....

Back to top Go down
Shawn

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:06 am

Fu Manchu is decent...was never a huge fan, but they rock.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:07 am

One thing I find interesting is how the term AOR has changed meaning over the years.

Originally it came about around the time of FM radio and the move towards "album oriented" in the pop market. So originally it was just "songs too long to be considered pop singles...usually of a musical style too intense for pop radio too".

So, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Pink Floyd...these were all AOR bands, they didn't release singles and let their full length albums speak for them.

Then at some point, AOR morphed into "safe, non-threatening adult-rock" ala Journey, Foreigner, Styx.

Still not sure how that happened.
Back to top Go down
Shawn

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:03 pm

It's like any other genre tag...evolution.

Metal used to mean Judas Priest, then it meant Poison, then it meant Korn, now it means Linkin Park...
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:49 pm

That's the problem right there, it was never a "genre" or a "sound" to begin with. It was meant to describe artists whose songs were generally over the 4-minute mark of accepted singles.

But to help feed into advertising ignorance it was co-opted to describe a sound. Genre tags really only stifle creativity and lead to uneducated listeners.

metal and it's countless foolish sub-genre descriptions is one of the biggest culprits.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:41 pm

Quote :
metal and it's countless foolish sub-genre descriptions is one of the biggest culprits.

The Symphonic Euro-Power Metal/Classical Fusion Gods have your number, SD. Wink
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:11 pm

I've become fond of the term "MUSIC", it's catchy. Cool
Back to top Go down
Shawn

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:24 am

Quote :
That's the problem right there, it was never a "genre" or a "sound" to begin with.

Neither was Punk (fashion movement) or Grunge (anything from Seattle)...they just evolved into accepted Genre Tags...like AOR...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...   

Back to top Go down

I think my musical palate has been sufficiently cleansed...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2