The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released Empty
PostSubject: Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released   Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 7:43 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15064243

Violinist Grappelli found on 'lost' Pink Floyd track
By John Wilson BBC Radio 4's Front Row

A long-lost recording of virtuoso jazz violinist Stephane Grappelli jamming with rock superstars Pink Floyd is finally set for release.

It has been buried deep in the EMI vaults for 36 years. Now, a long-lost recording of virtuoso jazz violinist Stephane Grappelli jamming with rock superstars Pink Floyd is finally set for release.

Grappelli takes an extended soaring solo on a version of the title song of the classic 1975 album Wish You Were Here.

Floyd drummer Nick Mason describes the track as the "jewel in the crown" of the band's archives. The master tape was presumed to have been wiped.

"My understanding was that we'd had to record over it in order to put on other sections," says Mason, referring to the multi-layering of tracks that the band pioneered in Abbey Road's state-of-the-art 24-track studios.

"It still astonishes me that we didn't use it originally, didn't realise what a wonderful thing it was," he says of the legendary Grappelli session.

The track will appear on a special edition of Wish You Were Here to be released on 7 November.
Pink Floyd flying pig The famous flying pig from Floyd's album Animals was re-created

No-one - not even the bootleg-collecting Floyd fanatics - has ever heard Grappelli improvising alongside Mason, David Gilmour, Roger Waters and Rick Wright.

Mason reveals that Pink Floyd were nearly joined by another new member that day - Yehudi Menuhin.

"We were recording in studio three and Yehudi and Stephane were recording in two. They were invited in to hear what we were working on," Mason says.

Both men were asked to add their violins to the mix but Menuhin - regarded as one of the greatest classical musicians of all time - politely declined.

"He was not comfortable improvising, he was nervous," recalls Mason.

But Grappelli jumped at the chance.

"It was meat and drink for him," says Mason.
Not airworthy

Pink Floyd's label, EMI, are re-releasing the band's 14 studio albums on Monday.

To mark the event, a large inflatable pig flew above London's Battersea Power Station on Monday.

A similar flying pig was used for the iconic Animals album cover 35 years ago.

EMI had planned to use the same inflatable which had been kept at a workshop since the original shoot, but it was found not to be airworthy and a replica was produced.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released   Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 8:47 pm

That sounds epic!
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released   Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 8:52 pm

I hope it's released on something other than the Immersion Box Set that costs like 130 dollars.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released   Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 2:27 am

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released   Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 9:19 am

Even if it's on a re-release of "Wish You Were Here", I'd buy the album again just for that track. It sounds pretty damn awesome.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released   Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 11:12 am

Yeah, those immersion box sets are very pricey!
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released   Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 11:15 am

http://www.amazon.com/Wish-You-Were-Here-Experience/dp/B004ZNAKLM/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1317136449&sr=8-7

It's going to be on the deluxe version of Wish. $30 isn't the cheapest thing in the world either, but it beats the hell out of 119.99. It's also the exact same Disc 2 that's in that boxset. So you miss out on all the crazy extras, but you at least get the booklet and bonus disc.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released   Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 11:22 am

oooooooh stuff from the Household Objects project............
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released   Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 11:25 am

chewie wrote:

I've never heard of this before, but it sounds intriuging
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released   Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 11:47 am

chewie wrote:

That's what that project was called, chewie do u know if Alan Parsons was involved with that?
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released   Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 10:55 pm

I don't remember if that's what they were working on with AP.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released   Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 11:22 pm

I saw all the Pink Floyd reissues at Best Buy today, looked nice, but I'm NOT buying all these again, I've purchased these at least 3 times in my life.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released   Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released
Page 1 of 1