The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Recommended Jam of the day

Go down 
+5
Metal-On-Metal
chewie
gershom
Akeldama
S.D.
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
SpectreFate
Smug Prick
SpectreFate

Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 11:48 am

chewie wrote:
I caught part of this song on Letterman(on my way to Craig Ferguson) last night and found it interesting.

She was interviewed on NPR this weekend. Very good stuff. Kinda like a more jazzy, less scary Erykah Badu.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 12:21 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
chewie wrote:
I caught part of this song on Letterman(on my way to Craig Ferguson) last night and found it interesting.

She was interviewed on NPR this weekend. Very good stuff. Kinda like a more jazzy, less scary Erykah Badu.

I read up on her a little and according to Wiki:
"Spalding cites jazz bassists Ron Carter and Dave Holland as important influences on her music; Carter for the "orchestration" of his playing and Holland for the way his compositional method complements his personal style.[14] She has described the saxophone player Wayne Shorter,[15] and singer-songwriter Milton Nascimento, as heroes.[54] She has also noted her preference for the music of Brazil.[15]"
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 12:33 pm

From the pop side of the isle Spalding is very well received...from actual jazz circles she's primarily viewed as a pop hack who name-drops jazz artists to increase her pedigree.

The last person this same controversy applied to was Norah Jones.

It's silly, but boy people get passionate about it. Here's an example:

"Spalding is eye candy flash-in-the-pan of next-to-nada jazz cred who will be forgotten in ten years or less"

lol!
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 1:38 pm

S.D. wrote:
From the pop side of the isle Spalding is very well received...from actual jazz circles she's primarily viewed as a pop hack who name-drops jazz artists to increase her pedigree.

The last person this same controversy applied to was Norah Jones.

It's silly, but boy people get passionate about it. Here's an example:

"Spalding is eye candy flash-in-the-pan of next-to-nada jazz cred who will be forgotten in ten years or less"

lol!

There's a serious unwarranted snobbery associated with jazz music that has all but totally turned me off to the genre.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 2:00 pm

SpectreFate wrote:

There's a serious unwarranted snobbery associated with jazz music that has all but totally turned me off to the genre.

Then you should have stopped listening to metal decades ago, the snobbery there is by far worse.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 2:19 pm

S.D. wrote:

Then you should have stopped listening to metal decades ago, the snobbery there is by far worse.

I agree there is snobbery in metal but not to the extent that is in jazz. I get the feeling (from fans online, mind you not in real life) that one should be honored to be allowed to listen and understand jazz. No thanks. Music is very visceral for me. If I have to feel as though I have to know a secret handshake to be permitted to hear a genre of music, then I know it's not for me. Other than the bigger names in jazz, I have abandoned spending anymore time delving into it.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 3:14 pm

Sorry, Spec, but I think that is an odd attitude to take in this case. You decide not to venture into a genre of music because of how some of the fans behave?

I have MANY friends that are jazz fans that are totally open-minded and enjoy many other forms of music. It's a really small minority that lives in the "jazz is great, everything else sucks" category...and these are the same types of people that champion various metal subgenres over others...close-minded morons. But like I said, they are the minority.

Don't punish the music because of some narrow-minded viewpoints. If I was offended by that type of attitude I wouldn't be able to listen to ANY style of music.

It just kind of saddens me, because there is such great music to be found in jazz...and the best stuff is not necessarily the most well known, you have to dig into the lesser known artists to get a true picture of it.

I hope you change your mind at some point.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 12:19 pm

S.D. wrote:
Sorry, Spec, but I think that is an odd attitude to take in this case. You decide not to venture into a genre of music because of how some of the fans behave?

I have MANY friends that are jazz fans that are totally open-minded and enjoy many other forms of music. It's a really small minority that lives in the "jazz is great, everything else sucks" category...and these are the same types of people that champion various metal subgenres over others...close-minded morons. But like I said, they are the minority.

Don't punish the music because of some narrow-minded viewpoints. If I was offended by that type of attitude I wouldn't be able to listen to ANY style of music.

It just kind of saddens me, because there is such great music to be found in jazz...and the best stuff is not necessarily the most well known, you have to dig into the lesser known artists to get a true picture of it.

I hope you change your mind at some point.

Not to mention the Prog Snobs........ "Prog peaked in '72, There's nothing worth listening to past then" or "Yes isn't proggy enough but Magma and Henry Cow are real Prog". Or even how American Prog is looked down upon, especially if it ends up being successful like Kansas or Styx. "Why are these guys considered prog. Oh yeah. They have a violin player"(that was in refernce to Kansas).
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 12:35 pm

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 1:07 pm

Cool Black Crowes video! Thanks for sharing.

chewie wrote:

Not to mention the Prog Snobs........ "Prog peaked in '72, There's nothing worth listening to past then" or "Yes isn't proggy enough but Magma and Henry Cow are real Prog". Or even how American Prog is looked down upon, especially if it ends up being successful like Kansas or Styx. "Why are these guys considered prog. Oh yeah. They have a violin player"(that was in refernce to Kansas).

Any "niche" music genre seems to attract these folk, it's just a fact of life and it's NOT a reflection on the music itself.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 1:29 pm

It looks like I might be in the beginning stages of a Black Crowes and family kick!!!!

That's why I like what I like and make no apologies for it. From Metal to African Funk and Rock.... If it's good, in my mind, it's good! I'll jam it!!!
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 2:26 pm

chewie wrote:
It looks like I might be in the beginning stages of a Black Crowes and family kick!!!!

That's why I like what I like and make no apologies for it. From Metal to African Funk and Rock.... If it's good, in my mind, it's good! I'll jam it!!!

I've been on a semi Crowes kick lately...I really have been jamming 'Feathers' a lot
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 4:22 pm

Akeldama wrote:
chewie wrote:

I've been on a semi Crowes kick lately...I really have been jamming 'Feathers' a lot

They are one of those bands for me. I can go all year and not hear a tune and then I'll hear something(most of the time on youtube, I'll see a classic performance) and all of a sudden, I gotta listen to all of their stuff. Kings X and Level 42 do that to me as well.. what a weird thing!!!!!

Last edited by chewie on Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 4:30 pm

chewie wrote:

They are one of those bands for me. I can go all year and not hear a tune and then I'll hear something(most of the time on youtube, I'll see a classic performance) and all of a sudden, I gotta listen to all of their stuff. Kings X and Level 42 do that to me as well.. what wierd thing!!!!!

Pink Floyd, Rush, Robin Trower, King's X all affect me the same way. I might go a long time without listening, but when the mood strikes I get passionate about it!

Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 4:35 pm

S.D. wrote:
chewie wrote:

They are one of those bands for me. I can go all year and not hear a tune and then I'll hear something(most of the time on youtube, I'll see a classic performance) and all of a sudden, I gotta listen to all of their stuff. Kings X and Level 42 do that to me as well.. what wierd thing!!!!!

Pink Floyd, Rush, Robin Trower, King's X all affect me the same way. I might go a long time without listening, but when the mood strikes I get passionate about it!

Yeah!!! Like that!!!!
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 2:46 am

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 12:25 pm

Love that Jefferson Airplane album.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 1:30 pm

Here is an excellent unreleased song! I think they are saving a bunch of these for some kinda box set or something. There's no reason that this should remain a bootleg:

.......and NO!!! This is not on the Lost Crowes. It is on the Tall bootleg album, the album was supposed to be released after Southern Harmony And Musical Companion.

LOVE the organ in this tune!!! Sucha great mood setter!
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 5:28 pm

One of their best. Here there be Tygers...
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 10:04 am

I happen to love P!nk. So I figure I'll share probably her most accessible (cover) songs with you fine folks. Enjoy.

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 11:04 pm

I saw part of a Pink concert while flipping channels one day, she really brings it live!

and now for my favorite female rock vocalist...

"Death Valley" is a killer track from Heart's latest album Red Velvet Car. Great groove and really like the chorus, especially the Zep guitar crunge underneath the harmony vocals. Very cool tune!

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 2:18 pm

I've been back to my first love the last couple of days...the Blues.

Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 2:20 pm

Once you go blues.....
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 2:24 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Once you go blues.....

...you appreciate how lame 95% of all white blues players are?

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 2:30 pm

S.D. wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
Once you go blues.....

...you appreciate how lame 95% of all white blues players are?

All too true, SD...one more for the day...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recommended Jam of the day
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Workshop :: Thick As A Brick :: Dramatic Themes-
Jump to: