The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit

Go down 
+6
theJOKERiv
Special Guest
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
S.D.
Akeldama
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit   Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 9:26 pm

Top 5 of 1996 (yeah, I lie about my age just about everywhere on the internet).

Opeth - Morningrise
Änglagård - Buried Alive
Bruce Dickinson - Skunkworks
Alice in Chains - Unplugged
Nevermore - In Memory EP / The Politics of Ecstasy
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit   Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 10:29 pm

chewie wrote:
Top 5 Non-metal guitarists... Prog, jazz, fusion, etc.

Rock/Prog:

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Robin Trower
3. Robert Fripp
4. David Gilmour
5. Martin Barre

Jazz/fusion:

1. John McLaughlin
2. Kenny Burrell
3. Larry Coryell / Allan Holdsworth (tie)
4. Grant Green
5. Barney Kessel
Back to top Go down
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit   Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 7:18 pm

1992;

1. Primus-Miscellaneous Debris
2. Phish-A Picture Of Nectar
3. King's X-s/t
4. Beastie Boys-Check Your Head
5. Ween-Pure Guava

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit   Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 10:28 pm

Interesting yet kewl list SG, 1992 had a few of my faves like Dehumanizer and Countdown To Extintion for example.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit   Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 9:59 pm

Top 5 Progressive Metal bands:

1. Fates Warning
2. maudlin of the Well
3. Sieges Even
4. Tool (I don't give a fuck if Maynard says they're not metal; they sound metal enough to me)
5. Cynic

That's just without diving too deep into the myriad of prog-metal sub genres. (Tech-death, prog power, avant-garde metal, etc.)

Back to top Go down
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit   Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 10:08 pm

Tool is definitely metal. Maynard just really wishes they weren't

1. Mastodon
2. Opeth
3. Spiral Architect
4. Laundry
5. Tool

and then the list would go on for another 300 bands before Dream Theater popped up

Last edited by Special Guest on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit   Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 10:17 pm

Special Guest wrote:

and then the list would go on for another 300 band before Dream Theater popped up

Great answer.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit   Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 10:23 pm

I thought about including Opeth on mine, but I've really outgrown them as of recently. I still enjoy a few of their albums a great deal (Morningrise, Still Life, Heritage, and Damnation); but the rest doesn't do much for me anymore.

I left off a few of my other favorites, in favor of less "growly" prog metal.
such as:
Atheist
Gorguts
Death
Vektor
Agalloch

Another unrelated honorable mention would be Faith No More.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit   Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 11:34 pm

1. Animals As Leaders
2. Coroner
3. Fates Warning
4. Tourniquet
5. Tiamat

I was gonna put Iron Maiden (since Bruce's comeback) but opted not to categorize them. I also left out Spock's Beard, Savatage, Cynic and tons of others I could've listed but I'm satisfied with my list.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit   Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 2:14 pm

Prog rock has a looseness to the structure that I love, sure there are crazy time changes and stuff, but there is a "flow" to the rhythms that are ever changing and evolving.

Prog metal is just too friggin' stiff most of the time.

...M-O-M, you need to realize that musical tastes come in cycles, you will find over the years that there are bands you might not listen to for 20 years that all of a sudden will come back around to be important to you. I've been listening to Pink Floyd my entire life, but sometimes I'll go 5 years between listening to one of their albums, doesn't make them any less important to me. You'll figure this out once you get out of "young pup" age. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit   Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 3:40 pm

S.D. wrote:

...M-O-M, you need to realize that musical tastes come in cycles, you will find over the years that there are bands you might not listen to for 20 years that all of a sudden will come back around to be important to you. I've been listening to Pink Floyd my entire life, but sometimes I'll go 5 years between listening to one of their albums, doesn't make them any less important to me. You'll figure this out once you get out of "young pup" age. Very Happy

Thanks for the wisdom, man. What a Face

I guess it's just due to lack of perspective that I make those broad statements like that; obviously there's a good chance I'll come back around to Opeth (or any band that I've claimed to outgrow in the past two years, for that matter).

I should rephrase my original statement: As of now, I've moved on to listening to more interesting (to me, of course) artists than Opeth.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit   Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 3:44 pm

I take long breaks from things when I start to get burnt out. I got tired of metal and stopped listening from 1996 til 2005. Sometimes that is required.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit   Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 9:12 pm

Top 5 singer/songwriters. I really need to think this one over for a bit.
Back to top Go down
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit   Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 4:44 am

1. Warren Zevon
2. Billy Joel
3. Stevie Wonder
4. Nick Drake
5. Paul Simon
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit   Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 1:48 pm

I like that list a lot, SG...
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit   Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 11:54 am

1. Townes Van Zandt
2. Van Morrison
3. Stevie Wonder
4. Warren Zevon
5. Jackson Browne
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit   Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 5:52 pm

I don't listen to a bunch of singer/songwriters; but I know I'd include Townes Van Zandt, Nick Drake, and maybe Jackson Browne (I've only jammed his stuff a few times).
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit   Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 6:55 pm

Damn, I forgot Nick Drake and Jim Croce!
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit   Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2013 6:47 pm

What constitutes a singer/songwriter can sometimes be a little vague especially considering so many bands actually have 1 writer that contributes most of the material.

But I'll take a crack at it.

1. Stephen Stills
2. Neil Young
3. Ian Anderson
4. Nick Drake
5. Bob Dylan

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit   Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2013 10:56 pm

Fuck! I forgot Neil Young!!
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit   Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 10:54 pm

Here's a reaaaaaally tough question:

What are your top 5 bands/artists of all time? I'm going to think it over before I post any type of answer.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit   Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 12:02 am

Metal-On-Metal wrote:
Here's a reaaaaaally tough question:

What are your top 5 bands/artists of all time? I'm going to think it over before I post any type of answer.

Ooooh really tough.............
Back to top Go down
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit   Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 12:16 am

I can think of four for sure:
Primus
Ween
The Beatles
Steely Dan

Fifth one is the only one that needs some debate. It's down to a few (with the main contenders being Rush, Pink Floyd, The Beastie Boys, Traffic, and BOC) but I just can't decide.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit   Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 4:01 pm

I know for sure that Steely Dan, Fates Warning, and maudlin of the Well are up there, it's just I'm not sure on the other two.

I'd like to include Townes Van Zandt; but then again, I'd also like to include Yes or Marillion or King Crimson or Maiden or Rush... the list goes on. This is the definition of a tough question.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit   Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 1:21 am

For an artist to qualify for my list it has to be something I've listened to for at least 15 years or more.

1. Jimi Hendrix (a fan since 1983)
2. John Coltrane (a fan since 1996)
3. Pink Floyd (a fan since 1979)
4. Rush (a fan since 1980)
5. Black Sabbath (a fan since 1982)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit   Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top 5's Part Three-Random Shit
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next