The Workshop Of The Telescopes
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Delays in new ZZ Top album

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
avatar

Posts : 6579
Join date : 2009-12-12
Age : 97
Location : Colorado

PostSubject: Delays in new ZZ Top album   Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:27 pm

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
avatar

Posts : 6538
Join date : 2009-11-16
Location : Los Angeles, CA

PostSubject: Re: Delays in new ZZ Top album   Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:37 pm

Rick Rubin hasn't been worth a shit since the early 90s.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
avatar

Posts : 6579
Join date : 2009-12-12
Age : 97
Location : Colorado

PostSubject: Re: Delays in new ZZ Top album   Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:38 pm

S.D. wrote:
Rick Rubin hasn't been worth a shit since the early 90s.

The last album I liked that he produced was Ballbreaker...
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
avatar

Posts : 6538
Join date : 2009-11-16
Location : Los Angeles, CA

PostSubject: Re: Delays in new ZZ Top album   Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:53 pm

I think some of the albums he's worked on have been good, but that has nothing to do with his production skills. He's a "name only" producer and doesn't do anything except ensure the mix sucks.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
avatar

Posts : 474
Join date : 2009-11-20
Age : 46
Location : Fortress of Solitude Tool Shed

PostSubject: Re: Delays in new ZZ Top album   Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:22 am

I'm of the opinion that he's gotten by on a reputation that he built through the 80's and 90's and has just been coasting on that since then.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
avatar

Posts : 6538
Join date : 2009-11-16
Location : Los Angeles, CA

PostSubject: Re: Delays in new ZZ Top album   Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:56 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I'm of the opinion that he's gotten by on a reputation that he built through the 80's and 90's and has just been coasting on that since then.

He produced "Manic Frustration" by Trouble which is hands down one of the worst mixes from a major label I've ever heard, and that one was produced in his supposed "quality era".
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick
avatar

Posts : 738
Join date : 2011-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Delays in new ZZ Top album   Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:59 pm

S.D. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
I'm of the opinion that he's gotten by on a reputation that he built through the 80's and 90's and has just been coasting on that since then.

He produced "Manic Frustration" by Trouble which is hands down one of the worst mixes from a major label I've ever heard, and that one was produced in his supposed "quality era".

"Hey Rick! Shouldn't there be a low end on this mix?"

Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
avatar

Posts : 709
Join date : 2010-04-11
Age : 48
Location : Somewhere In Time

PostSubject: Re: Delays in new ZZ Top album   Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:01 pm

S.D. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
I'm of the opinion that he's gotten by on a reputation that he built through the 80's and 90's and has just been coasting on that since then.

He produced "Manic Frustration" by Trouble which is hands down one of the worst mixes from a major label I've ever heard, and that one was produced in his supposed "quality era".

Yeah, that mix sucked!
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
avatar

Posts : 6538
Join date : 2009-11-16
Location : Los Angeles, CA

PostSubject: Re: Delays in new ZZ Top album   Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:29 pm

That mix is so bad I couldn't do anything to improve it, I've tried a few times but it just gets worse sounding whatever you do. It would have to be completely remixed from the master tapes to fix it.
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
avatar

Posts : 709
Join date : 2010-04-11
Age : 48
Location : Somewhere In Time

PostSubject: Re: Delays in new ZZ Top album   Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:37 pm

S.D. wrote:
That mix is so bad I couldn't do anything to improve it, I've tried a few times but it just gets worse sounding whatever you do. It would have to be completely remixed from the master tapes to fix it.

Judging from the mix, they probably sound like shit too
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
avatar

Posts : 6538
Join date : 2009-11-16
Location : Los Angeles, CA

PostSubject: Re: Delays in new ZZ Top album   Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:43 pm

theJOKERiv wrote:
S.D. wrote:
That mix is so bad I couldn't do anything to improve it, I've tried a few times but it just gets worse sounding whatever you do. It would have to be completely remixed from the master tapes to fix it.

Judging from the mix, they probably sound like shit too

Not necessarily, I think alot of the problem was the EQ choices he used on the mix, going back to the original multitracks would allow that to be redone.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
avatar

Posts : 2164
Join date : 2009-11-16
Location : Arkham

PostSubject: Re: Delays in new ZZ Top album   Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:27 pm

That'd be a great album to reissue. Probably won't happen anytime soon with a re-mix though.

_________________
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
avatar

Posts : 6579
Join date : 2009-12-12
Age : 97
Location : Colorado

PostSubject: Re: Delays in new ZZ Top album   Sat May 12, 2012 11:06 am

I just saw this, this is a clip of a new song. I remember reading somewhere that they were going back to a 'La Grange' sound but this is more like Rhythmeen to me...but I ain't complaining abut that but the clip didn't really do much for me but then again it's only just a clip so...

Back to top Go down
manny

avatar

Posts : 273
Join date : 2009-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Delays in new ZZ Top album   Tue May 15, 2012 2:45 pm

Akeldama wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Rick Rubin hasn't been worth a shit since the early 90s.

The last album I liked that he produced was Ballbreaker...


AC/DC guys were not impressed, mid way thru the recording the lads brought in Mike Frasher to produce the disc, they kept Rubin's name on the album due to contractual reasons.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
avatar

Posts : 6579
Join date : 2009-12-12
Age : 97
Location : Colorado

PostSubject: Re: Delays in new ZZ Top album   Tue May 15, 2012 5:14 pm

manny wrote:
Akeldama wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Rick Rubin hasn't been worth a shit since the early 90s.

The last album I liked that he produced was Ballbreaker...


AC/DC guys were not impressed, mid way thru the recording the lads brought in Mike Frasher to produce the disc, they kept Rubin's name on the album due to contractual reasons.

No shit? I'll have to look into that!
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
avatar

Posts : 709
Join date : 2010-04-11
Age : 48
Location : Somewhere In Time

PostSubject: Re: Delays in new ZZ Top album   Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:23 pm

Full "I Gotsa Get Paid" track is online -

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/music_and_videos/uk-exclusive-the-lead-track-from-zz-tops-new-ep-i-gotsta-get-paid/

Yeah, sounds like a "rick Rubin" job to me........
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
avatar

Posts : 6579
Join date : 2009-12-12
Age : 97
Location : Colorado

PostSubject: Re: Delays in new ZZ Top album   Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:40 pm

Aww man, Rubin. Tisk, tisk...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Delays in new ZZ Top album   

Back to top Go down
 
Delays in new ZZ Top album
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Delays in new ZZ Top album
» New Third Day album coming Oct. 19
» Darkwater - New Album Update
» Fades Away - New Album!!
» New Tourniquet Album Update!!

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Workshop :: Thick As A Brick :: Dr. Music-
Jump to: