The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

UG's Top 10 Prog Albums Of All Time

Go down 
+2
S.D.
Akeldama
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

UG's Top 10 Prog Albums Of All Time Empty
PostSubject: UG's Top 10 Prog Albums Of All Time   UG's Top 10 Prog Albums Of All Time I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 11:54 pm

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: UG's Top 10 Prog Albums Of All Time   UG's Top 10 Prog Albums Of All Time I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 12:39 am

Kind of an odd list. I own most of those albums, but I'm not sure if any of them would be in my top 10.
Back to top Go down
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

PostSubject: Re: UG's Top 10 Prog Albums Of All Time   UG's Top 10 Prog Albums Of All Time I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 5:43 pm

They're all great bands and albums (I'm not familiar with Stefen Zauner though), so it's not a bad list. I would definitely have picked different albums from ELP, Genesis, and Pink Floyd.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: UG's Top 10 Prog Albums Of All Time   UG's Top 10 Prog Albums Of All Time I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 6:20 pm

Same here SG. I like the majority of the albums on the list, but not many there are genre defining, imo.

If I could put one together, it'd probably be something like:

Yes - Relayer
King Crimson - Red
Van der Graaf Generator - Godbluff
Rush - Hemispheres
Camel - Mirage
Gentle Giant - In a Glass House
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
Yes - Close to the Edge
King Crimson - Discipline
Nektar - Remember the Future

There's definitely a lot I omitted, but that seems essential enough.

Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: UG's Top 10 Prog Albums Of All Time   UG's Top 10 Prog Albums Of All Time I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 6:32 pm

That's not UG's best of, but rather Jordan Rudess'.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: UG's Top 10 Prog Albums Of All Time   UG's Top 10 Prog Albums Of All Time I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 12:44 am

I definitely would have gone with a different Genesis album. The omission of Camel is a real bummer............ I would have included Marillion as well.

Nice to see some love for the 70s prog, though.

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: UG's Top 10 Prog Albums Of All Time   UG's Top 10 Prog Albums Of All Time I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 1:46 am

I could probably do a top 50 very easily and not go past 1977. It's a sticky genre though, because there are a ton of varying opinions on what constitutes prog.

I mean, there are many people who say "Prog" and "Prog Rock" are not even the same thing. I've never been able to find a good solid consensus on the subject. Prog discussion boards tend to spend more time arguing about which bands "are" and which bands "arent" that very little discussion of the actual music happens.

Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: UG's Top 10 Prog Albums Of All Time   UG's Top 10 Prog Albums Of All Time I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 1:56 am

Then there is the "Prog n' Roll" label that a friend of mine used to describe some bands.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UG's Top 10 Prog Albums Of All Time   UG's Top 10 Prog Albums Of All Time I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

UG's Top 10 Prog Albums Of All Time
Page 1 of 1