The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Momentary Lapse of Reason remix, partial re-record coming...

Go down 
+2
chewie
S.D.
6 posters
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

A Momentary Lapse of Reason remix, partial re-record coming... Empty
PostSubject: A Momentary Lapse of Reason remix, partial re-record coming...   A Momentary Lapse of Reason remix, partial re-record coming... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 1:30 am

Interesting news on A Momentary Lapse Of Reason immersion edition.

David Gilmour decided to have "the 1980's mixed out of the album", he particularly dislikes the horrible 80s gated drum sound and also the 80s synth patches.

Unfortunately the drums weren't recorded dry (the effect was added to the initial tracking) so Nick Mason has been re-recording all the drum parts, using vintage microphones and 70's style mic placement techniques. The goal was to recapture the classic Floyd drum sound. In addition Mason's contributions to the original album were limited with at least 5 other studio drummers contributing parts, that is being stripped down to just Mason plus the existing percussion tracks.

Since Rick Wright has passed it's impossible to re-record the keyboard tracks, however Pink Floyd recorded every concert on that tour and Rick had switched back to playing Hammond Organ and electric piano in concert (instead of synths). So they've been scouring the tapes and pulling Rick's live rig sound, those live performance keyboard tracks are now being mixed in to replace the dated 80s sounding synths.

No release date yet, but Gilmour said the album now has the classic Floyd sound and no longer sounds like a relic of bad production choices.

That late 80s production is one of the main reasons I never listen to this album, so I'm very excited to hear this new mix. The box set will also contain the original mix for the people nostalgic for that sound.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: A Momentary Lapse of Reason remix, partial re-record coming...   A Momentary Lapse of Reason remix, partial re-record coming... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:30 am

That's very interesting.... I don't mind the sound of that album at all, but I will be interested in what the new mix sounds like.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: A Momentary Lapse of Reason remix, partial re-record coming...   A Momentary Lapse of Reason remix, partial re-record coming... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 3:06 am

I loved Momentary when it first came out, but once Delicate Sound Of Thunder was issued (a year later) I essentially abandoned the studio album for that because it sounded more like an actual Floyd performance.

Momentary started its life cycle as the 3rd David Gilmour solo album and slowly morphed into a Pink Floyd reunion...but the contributions of Mason and Wright were minimal on the original studio recording...however their personality was all over Delicate Sound Of Thunder, that's why I'm excited to hear this when it comes out.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: A Momentary Lapse of Reason remix, partial re-record coming...   A Momentary Lapse of Reason remix, partial re-record coming... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 6:25 am

"Lapse" was one of the very very few albums w/the '80s sound that didn't bother me but I actually would prefer this new mix of the classic sound. I still need to get the rest of the Immersion sets someday.
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: A Momentary Lapse of Reason remix, partial re-record coming...   A Momentary Lapse of Reason remix, partial re-record coming... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 9:35 am

I don't even have the original, but this peaks my interest!
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: A Momentary Lapse of Reason remix, partial re-record coming...   A Momentary Lapse of Reason remix, partial re-record coming... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 10:36 am

The original is fine on its own. Remastering is one thing, but re-recording is a no-no if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: A Momentary Lapse of Reason remix, partial re-record coming...   A Momentary Lapse of Reason remix, partial re-record coming... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 11:52 am

SpectreFate wrote:
The original is fine on its own. Remastering is one thing, but re-recording is a no-no if you ask me.

With an artist of the stature of Gilmour I'm happy with whatever he wants to do. Plus this is not "replacing" the existing version, it's providing an additional listening experience for those interested.

There is no harm anywhere there.

Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: A Momentary Lapse of Reason remix, partial re-record coming...   A Momentary Lapse of Reason remix, partial re-record coming... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 6:10 pm

theJOKERiv wrote:
I don't even have the original, but this peaks my interest!

Me too, I'm sorely lacking in the Pink Floyd discography. I only have Wish You Were Here, Dark Side, and Animals (and I've heard Meddle a couple times before).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Momentary Lapse of Reason remix, partial re-record coming...   A Momentary Lapse of Reason remix, partial re-record coming... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Momentary Lapse of Reason remix, partial re-record coming...
Page 1 of 1