The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What Album...

Go down 
+3
Special Guest
Metal-On-Metal
Akeldama
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

What Album... Empty
PostSubject: What Album...   What Album... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 10:34 pm

Would you recommend to everybody else on the boards right now and why?

Gov't Mule-Dose; it's great and full of versatility. Great musicianship and all the instruments tones kill!
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

What Album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Album...   What Album... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 11:20 pm

maudlin of the Well - Bath

What Album... SZKdM

I can't recommend this album enough. There's just so much musical diversity on it, ranging from death-doom to prog to jazz to acoustic ballads.

Geography

Heaven and Weak

Birth Pains of Astral Projection

It's definitely a bit "avant-garde", but I really enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

What Album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Album...   What Album... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 11:46 pm

I'll jam it tomorrow at your request.
Back to top Go down
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

What Album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Album...   What Album... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 12:23 am

I shall check out both of these! I've been meaning to give Gov't Mule a chance

I'd recommend Ween's "The Mollusk"
What Album... Ween_the_mollusk

Each song is a delightfully twisted journey through a different musical genre, all tied together with a dark nautical theme. One of my favorite albums ever.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

What Album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Album...   What Album... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 6:31 am

I remember listening to Ween as a teenager but I can't remember what album(s), I think one of them had "Country" in the title and Chocolate & Cheese.
Back to top Go down
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

What Album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Album...   What Album... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 6:42 am

Akeldama wrote:
I remember listening to Ween as a teenager but I can't remember what album(s), I think one of them had "Country" in the title and Chocolate & Cheese.

12 Golden Country Greats! Not a lot of bands can get away with an entire album of country tunes, haha.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

What Album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Album...   What Album... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 6:48 pm

That's what it was, I remember liking it cuz it was so odd in a way.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

What Album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Album...   What Album... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 7:44 pm

The Mollusk was probably the last Ween album I remember hearing all the way through, good stuff like all their records. My personal favorite is still Chocolate & Cheese. Very talented pair.

Piss Up A Rope from 12 Golden Country Greats cracks me up whenever I hear it.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

What Album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Album...   What Album... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 9:56 pm

I always recommend this...

What Album... 51duzzjCy4L._SL500_AA300_

20 years after its release, this album still makes me want to drink grain alcohol, set stuff on fire and punch people at random.

... I mean that in the best possible way.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

What Album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Album...   What Album... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 11:47 pm

I have been meaning to listen to that and never have, I will listen to all the album rec's so far.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

What Album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Album...   What Album... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 12:13 am

I'll have to check out that Ween album, it sounds pretty interesting.

Same goes for that Warrior Soul album, I've been meaning to check that one out for a long time now. Does that one have "The Loser's" on it? I really dig that song.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

What Album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Album...   What Album... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 12:16 am

Semi-related; does anyone here like Kate Bush? I enjoyed some of the songs she collaborated with Peter Gabriel on, and I'm wondering if her stuff is any good.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

What Album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Album...   What Album... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 12:41 am

Metal-On-Metal wrote:
Semi-related; does anyone here like Kate Bush? I enjoyed some of the songs she collaborated with Peter Gabriel on, and I'm wondering if her stuff is any good.

She is certainly unique and has an amazing voice, not overly thrilled with the overt electronic direction of much of her work, but she is definitely worth investigating.

I'll try to spin some of these other recommendations over the next couple days.

Warrior Soul was a band I attempted to get into on a couple occasions (after seeing them live) but they never really clicked with me.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

What Album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Album...   What Album... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 7:05 am

Metal-On-Metal wrote:

I listen to her every once in a looooooooooooooong while. I'd recommend 'Wuthering Heights'.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

What Album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Album...   What Album... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 11:16 am

Metal-On-Metal wrote:

Same goes for that Warrior Soul album, I've been meaning to check that one out for a long time now. Does that one have "The Loser's" on it? I really dig that song.

"The Losers" is on their debut album, LAST DECADE DEAD CENTURY, which is also a worthy listen. But then, I'm a Warrior Soul fanboy as most of you already know. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

What Album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Album...   What Album... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 11:54 pm

Blue Oyster Cult- Blue Oyster Cult

I'm sure most of you have already heard it. But, it's a perfect record. So atmospheric.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

What Album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Album...   What Album... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 3:13 pm

Maudlin Of The Well's Bath is a good album, it's dense though and will take more listening to for me to fully appreciate it. Thx, Met!
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

What Album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Album...   What Album... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 6:16 pm

Akeldama wrote:
Maudlin Of The Well's Bath is a good album, it's dense though and will take more listening to for me to fully appreciate it. Thx, Met!

If you liked that one, it has a companion album (released simultaneously) called Leaving Your Body Map that's stylistically quite similar.

I totally agree with you on the album's density, I've probably jammed it 7 or 8 times now.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

What Album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Album...   What Album... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 6:38 pm

Metal-On-Metal wrote:
Akeldama wrote:

If you liked that one, it has a companion album (released simultaneously) called Leaving Your Body Map that's stylistically quite similar.

I totally agree with you on the album's density, I've probably jammed it 7 or 8 times now.

I just jammed that one, I wanted to jam them both one after the other and see after about 5 spins of both which one I like better.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

What Album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Album...   What Album... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 12:10 am

T.R.A.M.-Lingua Franca

Like I've said before one who's really well versed in Jazz will either like it or hate it b/c I feel that the drums and horns are just too pretentious and the occasional vocalizing is jarring as well. Javier Reyes and Tosin Abasi make this album for me.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

What Album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Album...   What Album... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 6:16 pm

Sieges Even - The Art of Navigating by the Stars
What Album... VqFm2

This band is highly underrated, they deserve a lot more praise than they receive. In my opinion, this album rivals some of the most accomplished concept albums out there (A Pleasant Shade of Grey, Operation: Mindcrime, etc).

The rhythm section is phenomenal, consisting of brothers Alex (bass) and Oliver (drums) Holzwarth. There is some seriously tight material on here. The vocals are quite good as well, a great change for Sieges Even, who in the past had some really mediocre vocalists. The guitar has a great clean tone throughout the majority of the album, which adds nicely to the atmosphere and feel of the songs.

I highly recommend giving this album a listen, it's one of my absolute favorites.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

What Album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Album...   What Album... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 6:32 pm

Ok, I'll jam it. I'm going to undertake the Cirith Ungol discography in depth after I jam Black Country Communion again.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

What Album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Album...   What Album... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 7:06 pm

Akeldama wrote:
Ok, I'll jam it. I'm going to undertake the Cirith Ungol discography in depth after I jam Black Country Communion again.

I'll get around to doing the fourth album in the Cirith Ungol discog thread sometime this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

What Album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Album...   What Album... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 1:44 am

I recommend Cheech & Chong-Big Bambu, it seems that everyone here needs a good laugh...
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

What Album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Album...   What Album... I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 1:08 am

Akeldama wrote:
Would you recommend to everybody else on the boards right now and why?

Gov't Mule-Dose; it's great and full of versatility. Great musicianship and all the instruments tones kill!

Bump.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What Album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Album...   What Album... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What Album...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next