The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Recommend me an artist.

Go down 
+4
Special Guest
Fat Freddy
Akeldama
Metal-On-Metal
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 11:55 pm

Akeldama wrote:
Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 614LMt-GMrL._SL500_AA300_

1. For The Sake of The Song 5:22
2. Columbine 2:34
3. Waiting Around To Die 2:45
4. Don't Take It To Bad 2:54
5. Colorado Girl 3:18
6. Lungs 2:29
7. I'll Be Here In the Morning 3:00
8. Fare Thee Well, Miss Carousel 5:22
9. Quicksilver Daydreams of Maria 4:45
10. None But the Rain 2:23

Third album from the great TVZ and is the next logical step for ya, Met. It's my personal fave.

I might have to snag a download somewhere, as it's not on Spotify. I've heard most of those songs on live albums, though.

Although, I feel almost inexplicably guilty illegally downloading Townes' stuff... I guess it's cause of the immediate emotional connection I had with his music.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 12:19 am

Special Guest wrote:
Akeldama wrote:
Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 75bae03ae7a0bcba583ef110.L._AA300_

If you dig early Yes and I know you do...

Oh god, Starcastle.
I stumbled upon an original pressing of that album at a yard sale, and bought it just for the cheesy cover. The music is just as gloriously cheesy, where every verse is another excuse for a synthesizer solo. It sounds more like a satire of prog than an actual album, and for that I fucking love it.

That's too funny and all too true!
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 12:24 am

Metal-On-Metal wrote:
Akeldama wrote:
Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 614LMt-GMrL._SL500_AA300_

1. For The Sake of The Song 5:22
2. Columbine 2:34
3. Waiting Around To Die 2:45
4. Don't Take It To Bad 2:54
5. Colorado Girl 3:18
6. Lungs 2:29
7. I'll Be Here In the Morning 3:00
8. Fare Thee Well, Miss Carousel 5:22
9. Quicksilver Daydreams of Maria 4:45
10. None But the Rain 2:23

Third album from the great TVZ and is the next logical step for ya, Met. It's my personal fave.

I might have to snag a download somewhere, as it's not on Spotify. I've heard most of those songs on live albums, though.

Although, I feel almost inexplicably guilty illegally downloading Townes' stuff... I guess it's cause of the immediate emotional connection I had with his music.

I'm quite surprised somebody else on the boards likes TVZ b/c of the Country leanings at times. It's great you dig it man I connected w/his music right awat as well.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 1:35 am

I've never had a problem with the more traditional country stuff, being brought up around it. I still can't stand pop-country though.

It seems like pop-country is the glam metal of my generation.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 9:00 am

Same here, I grew up with a lot of Country being played in the house and as a result I listen to far less than would be expected but if it's good it's good.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 5:40 pm

Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 51fEbjRB6FL._SL500_AA300_

The Blasters is a kick ass band to get into. I'd start with the S/T and Fun On Saturday Night the latter of which I posted the cover. That is prolly my fave Blasters album and it just came out this year but I was so impressed with it. I've been a Blasters fan since I was in diapers.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 9:05 pm

I've got a coupla Blasters playlists saved on Spotify to listen to later, AK.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 9:21 pm

Metal-On-Metal wrote:
I've got a coupla Blasters playlists saved on Spotify to listen to later, AK.

Great! That recommendation is completely out of left field. We both have been jamming a lot of pensive and brooding music lately and I needed something a little "happier" so I've been jamming The Blasters and a lot of Surf Rock ie. The Ghastly Ones.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 1:58 pm

Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 41FQ90D3X5L

I don't know if you like Van but I'd recommend this album to anybody. "Moondance" is more accessible and the first 5 songs kick ass but "Veedon Fleece' although less accessible is more consistent overall. It's my fave VM.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 1:36 pm

Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 61hj5idoWkL._SL500_AA300_
Baker Gurvitz Army-Elysian Encounter; Features former Gun & Three Man Army members Adrian and Paul Gurvitz and Ginger Baker...
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 9:37 pm

I found out about this band through last.fm, and I've really enjoyed their debut EP. They put it up for free on the Pirate Bay, so I snagged it. It's also on Spotify, if you don't feel like torrenting it.

Corelia - Nostalgia (2011) [dl]

"Glass Faces"

"The Sound of Glaciers Moving"
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 6:51 pm

Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 61OpkPWcKFL._SL500_AA280_
Crippled Black Phoenix-I, Vigilante

Great UK supergroup featuring members of Electric Wizard, Gonga, Iron Monkey, Mogwai, etc.
Any of their albums are good to start with but I chose this one for their killer cover of Journey's 1975 tune "Of A Lifetime".
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 7:42 pm

Yep, they're a pretty great post-rock band. I, Vigilante is all I've jammed by them, though.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 1:19 am

I just checked that cover out............. KILLER!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 9:47 pm

Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 51HbDogdN0L._SY300_
The Wolf's first two albums but start from track 13 to 24 and then 1-12 b/c "Moanin' In The Moonlight" is the first album (a collection of all his singles up to tat point) and then the S/T.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 9:54 pm

The only blues I've ever actually listened to is Muddy Waters (the psychedelic stuff). I'll give this dude a listen sometime.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 9:58 pm

Yeah Muddy's and Wolf's psychedelic stuff was quite hit and miss, just check out Howlin' Wolf's comments about them. I even find The London Sessions to fall flat and lack balls and energy despite the "all-star" lineup which IS the reason for its lacking.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 9:07 pm

The Pizza Tapes if you wanna try some Bluegrass w/Jerry Garcia...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recommend me an artist.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2