The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What if CAMEL had a vocalist like John Wetton or Greg Lake?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

What if CAMEL had a vocalist like John Wetton or Greg Lake? Empty
PostSubject: What if CAMEL had a vocalist like John Wetton or Greg Lake?   What if CAMEL had a vocalist like John Wetton or Greg Lake? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 7:47 pm

Here's the thing. Musically speaking Camel is an AMAZING group, but like many progressive rock bands from the era the vocals aren't up to the same level as the top tier groups. The vocals aren't bad and they don't detract from my enjoyment of the band (most of their songs are primarily instrumental anyway)...but I think it probably hurt their exposure on the radio and with the more casual rock fans.

What if they had someone like Greg Lake (in an alternate universe where ELP wasn't huge) or John Wetton (shortly after leaving King Crimson)? Their songs are great anyway, but I think some of them would have been epic with a truly gifted singer.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: What if CAMEL had a vocalist like John Wetton or Greg Lake?   What if CAMEL had a vocalist like John Wetton or Greg Lake? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 8:46 pm

Totally agree but how commercial would they have went with Lake?
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: What if CAMEL had a vocalist like John Wetton or Greg Lake?   What if CAMEL had a vocalist like John Wetton or Greg Lake? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 11:01 pm

I don't think someone like Lake would change the music much, Camel is one of the most melodic of the prog groups in the first place. I think their sound is very accesible while still retaining their more progressive leanings.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: What if CAMEL had a vocalist like John Wetton or Greg Lake?   What if CAMEL had a vocalist like John Wetton or Greg Lake? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 12:35 am

Yes, my thoughts exactly but that's why I thought that with Lake they'd be more likely to become a little more AOR oriented if they hadn't reached the success of ELP.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What if CAMEL had a vocalist like John Wetton or Greg Lake?   What if CAMEL had a vocalist like John Wetton or Greg Lake? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What if CAMEL had a vocalist like John Wetton or Greg Lake?
Page 1 of 1