The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Top 5 Situation Comedies

Go down 
+4
Fat Freddy
S.D.
DeathCult
Akeldama
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Top 5 Situation Comedies Empty
PostSubject: Top 5 Situation Comedies   Top 5 Situation Comedies I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 12:22 am

Here are mine:

1. M*A*S*H*
2. Soap
3.Sanford & Son
4.Seinfeld
5.Grounded For Life
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Situation Comedies   Top 5 Situation Comedies I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 12:29 am

Ah man wow, top 5? There's been so many good shows, but here goes:

1. Seinfeld
2. Welcome Back Kotter
3. Parker Lewis Can't Lose (Ok, probably technically a kid's show. But I love the surrealism)
4. Night Court
5. Married With Children

Probably not as definitive of a list as I hoped, but those are shows I liked alot.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Situation Comedies   Top 5 Situation Comedies I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 1:40 am

1. The Dick Van Dyke Show
2. Taxi
3. Barney Miller
4. Night Court
5. The Jeffersons
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Situation Comedies   Top 5 Situation Comedies I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 9:42 am

1. The Golden Girls
2. M*A*S*H*
3. Arrested Development
4. Dick Van Dyke Show
5. The Nanny
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Situation Comedies   Top 5 Situation Comedies I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 9:59 am

spectrefate wrote:
5. The Nanny

Fran Drescher was a piece back in the day wasn't she?

As for me...

1. The Simpsons
2. Night Court
3. All in the Family
4. Three's Company
5. Married With Children
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Haunter Of The Dark
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Situation Comedies   Top 5 Situation Comedies I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 9:29 pm

1. WKRP in Cincinnati
2. Night Court
3. Barney Miller
4. Welcome Back Kotter
5. Three's Company
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Situation Comedies   Top 5 Situation Comedies I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 11:15 pm

Cruel Angel wrote:
1. WKRP in Cincinnati
2. Night Court
3. Barney Miller
4. Welcome Back Kotter
5. Three's Company

Damn, how could I forget about WKRP? Bad Detuned.... FRIDGE MATIC DEATH!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Situation Comedies   Top 5 Situation Comedies I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 11:26 am

In no particular order...

Arrested Development
Seinfeld
The Simpsons
All in the Family
WKRP

I'm surprised to see 'Night Court' listed. I loved that show during it's original run, but it didn't age well when I saw the repeats in recent years.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Situation Comedies   Top 5 Situation Comedies I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 1:15 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I

I'm surprised to see 'Night Court' listed. I loved that show during it's original run, but it didn't age well when I saw the repeats in recent years.

I haven't seen the show since the 80's....
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Situation Comedies   Top 5 Situation Comedies I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 6:33 pm

You ain't missin' much [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Not to just single out 'Night Court', but there's allot of 80's sitcoms that haven't aged well in my opinion. And not all of them are the shows themselves. I know allot of it is me.

Heck, I loved wrasslin' as a kid, but I couldn't watch more than 10 seconds of it today. My tastes have changed, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Stender
Delicious Vomit
Stender

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Situation Comedies   Top 5 Situation Comedies I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 7:49 pm

Cant muster 5 picks but Arrested development definately comes to mind. Probably my favorate television show of all time. As cheesy as this is, Giligans island was badass as well, maryann was so so so hot...
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Situation Comedies   Top 5 Situation Comedies I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 8:15 pm

I actually don't like situation comedies very much, most of the ones I like are from the 70's and early 80's.

I've always been more of a fan of hour-long dramas.

The main problem with sitcoms is that there are about 20 scripts total...and every show uses a variation of those 20...
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Haunter Of The Dark
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Situation Comedies   Top 5 Situation Comedies I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 10:22 pm

Night Court for me hasn't aged a bit... I was taping them off of the tv land reruns... I have 4 seasons from that...

I was mad that sales for the dvd's have been poor (in the studio's eyes)... it was a long while before they put season 2 out. In a couple of months season 3 will finally be released... and that will probably be the make or break point for future releases. The studio has the mindset that poor sales might have been due to the 'regular' cast not being established until season 3 (with Markie Post as a regular, along with Marsha Warfield). I get the ominous feeling that if S3 doesn't sell well, that will be it for dvd. Grrrrr.

I loved Night Court better than Cheers, but Cheers gets every year out on dvd and NC is barely surviving. Sad since both of them were staple comedies of that time.

WKRP... I can keep watching them over and over... one of the few series to me that over their entire run barely had any weak or disappointing eps. Just too damn bad that because of the nature of the show it got hit big time with music licensing issues and the dvd's have been massively filled in with generic music. A lot of KRP fans boycotted the dvd release of season 1 because of the music replacement, and I doubt they will try a season 2 at this point.

Such a shame, since current tv syndication packages not only have the altered music too, but are missing scenes (cut to make room for more commercial time). At least the dvd releases would have most of that missing material.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Situation Comedies   Top 5 Situation Comedies I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 10:32 pm

I like Night Court and WKRP, but I only have WKRP Season 1 on DVD. As for Cheers I absolutely HATE IT!!!!! I hate that tv syndication cuts out scenes (although I understand) and they only show the same 20 episodes of a series.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Situation Comedies   Top 5 Situation Comedies I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 5:38 pm

Let us not forget "Diff'rent Strokes," a.k.a. "the sitcom with the most VERY SPECIAL EPISODES in TV history" --- seriously, every time ratings on that show dipped they'd have someone get kidnapped, or molested, or get bulimia, or Nancy Reagan would drop by to tell Arnold and Willis "Just Say No," or whateverthefuck. Then the cast would come on at the end and tell you where to find out More Information About What You've Just Seen. Haha.

This one's probably the most famous Very Special "Diff'rent Strokes" ep, I'm sure anyone who grew up in the 80s remembers this one...guest star Gordon Jump of "WKRP" as a pedophile bike shop owner who tries to snag Arnold and Dudley:

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Situation Comedies   Top 5 Situation Comedies I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 5:49 pm

Gratified to see some love for "Night Court" there, Cruel Angel... I used to think I was the only one who remembered that show!

My Dad was a court stenographer so of course he found the show totally hilarious, I got hooked on it through him.

Here's an oldy but goody clip of Dan (the Man) Fielding vs. a very young, very hot, pre-"Desperate Houswives" Teri Hatcher:

Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Haunter Of The Dark
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Situation Comedies   Top 5 Situation Comedies I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 11:10 pm

The sad thing about Night Court, at least to me, was how it got done ending wise.

If I rem right, at the end of season 8, they finally started to put Harry and Christine together... and that was how the series was gonna end with the assumption they were finally becoming an item... then NBC changed its mind and green lit another season at the last minute.

So then we end up with the actual series finale of Christine moving to DC, Dan chasing after her, while Harry remains at his job. Yuck. No way Dan should even have a shot at Christine. Her and Harry were perfect.

Don't get me wrong, Dan was a great character (John L won 4 straight emmy's from the get-go for that role- which no one had done ever at that point- and the only reason why he didn't win more was that he told the network to not submit him as a nominee after the 4th win). I just liked Harry more, and Christine was just way too yummy.

I always think it's funny when you try and portray a character on a show one way physically, but when you really take into consideration what the actor really looks like- its rather hard to suspend belief. Like Carlton on Fresh Prince supposedly being treated like the uber nerd but yet Alfonso has a weightlifter's build, which got revealed a few times during the show.

So here you have Christine whose looks are really played down by the other characters, especially Dan... yet anyone who sees how her clothes wear on her can tell she's rather gidted up top... I remember the one scene where she is wearing an overcoat or trenchcoat as she is heading out to a high class social function... she sees Dan being depressed about something so to shock him out of it, she takes her coat off and she is in a very form fitting low cut evening dress. He just looks over and says with disinterest "those are new."
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Situation Comedies   Top 5 Situation Comedies I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 12:54 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Gratified to see some love for "Night Court" there, Cruel Angel... I used to think I was the only one who remembered that show!

My Dad was a court stenographer so of course he found the show totally hilarious, I got hooked on it through him.

Here's an oldy but goody clip of Dan (the Man) Fielding vs. a very young, very hot, pre-"Desperate Houswives" Teri Hatcher:

That's funny. My mom used to work for a court stenographer. She would trans-scribe the court steno notes into regular, readable text.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Situation Comedies   Top 5 Situation Comedies I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 10:23 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

That's funny. My mom used to work for a court stenographer. She would trans-scribe the court steno notes into regular, readable text.

Way cool. My Dad was the head stenographer (i.e. the guy with the little machine taking down every word everyone sez in court) for Passaic County in NJ. He was one of three stenographers who took notes during the trial of Hurricane Carter (the boxer accused of murder, later made into the movie "The Hurricane" with Denzel Washington). He was also well acquainted with Joe Clark, the baseball bat wielding principal of Eastside High School in Paterson, immortalized in the movie "Stand By Me."
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Situation Comedies   Top 5 Situation Comedies I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 10:56 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Way cool. My Dad was the head stenographer (i.e. the guy with the little machine taking down every word everyone sez in court) for Passaic County in NJ. He was one of three stenographers who took notes during the trial of Hurricane Carter (the boxer accused of murder, later made into the movie "The Hurricane" with Denzel Washington). He was also well acquainted with Joe Clark, the baseball bat wielding principal of Eastside High School in Paterson, immortalized in the movie "Stand By Me."

Cool. I was kinda young when my mom used to do that, so I don't really remember her having any good court room stories to tell. Maybe she did, but they weren't appropriate for little kids. I'll have to ask her next time I see her if she has anything interesting. She never went into the actual courtroom. She'd work at home, listening to tapes of the courtroom with headphones and reading the stenography notes then typing them into regular text.
Back to top Go down
manny

manny

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Situation Comedies   Top 5 Situation Comedies I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 6:54 pm

I do not watch much TV but here are my 5 favs

1. Seinfeld
2. Welcome Back Kotter
3. Chico and the Man
4. M.A.S.H.
5. WKRP

you can replace any of theses with Barney Miller
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Situation Comedies   Top 5 Situation Comedies I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Situation Comedies
Page 1 of 1