The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

"Recently Purchased" Thread

Go down 
+4
Special Guest
chewie
S.D.
Akeldama
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

"Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Recently Purchased" Thread   "Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 11:28 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Opeth - Still Life reissue

Excellent choice. Great live version of Face of Melinda on the DVD (taken from The Roundhouse Tapes).
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: "Recently Purchased" Thread   "Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 12:18 am

Yeah I'm stoked to hear the DVD. In some ways I enjoy this album more than Blackwater. The band gets so far out there on it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: "Recently Purchased" Thread   "Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 5:21 pm

Bigtime garage sale score today...

Led Zeppelin - S/T, II, III, Houses of the Holy
Alice Cooper Billion Dollar Babies
The Doors - L.A. Woman
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Grand Funk Railroad - Closer to Home
Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: "Recently Purchased" Thread   "Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 8:56 pm

Like I said Facebook, bunch of good stuff there. L.A. Woman is easily my favorite Doors record, it's a real jamming album.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: "Recently Purchased" Thread   "Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 10:25 pm

S.D. wrote:
Like I said Facebook, bunch of good stuff there.  L.A. Woman is easily my favorite Doors record, it's a real jamming album.  

I haven't owned any Doors since I bought the movie soundtrack (on cassette) while I was in college, so it'll be fun to re-visit them. I used to go to see a Doors tribute band with my friends quite often in those days so even though I didn't own many of their albums I still ended up with a pretty good working knowledge of their material.

So far the only thing I've had a chance to listen to has been a bit of the Grand Funk disc - I picked that up mostly as a goof cuz they're Homer Simpson's favorite band, but damned if it isn't pretty jammin' thus far! I think I only know two G.F.R. songs ("I'm Your Captain," which is on the album I bought, and of course the irritating "We're an American Band") so this will be an education for me as well.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: "Recently Purchased" Thread   "Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 12:59 am

That's a bad ass haul Keith!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: "Recently Purchased" Thread   "Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 5:55 am

Yea, I was about due to hit a mother lode....pickin's have been slim of late Very Happy
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: "Recently Purchased" Thread   "Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 9:35 am

Same here, Goodwill has been disappointing. Going to hit the dollar racks today at my local record store. Maybe I'll hit gold.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: "Recently Purchased" Thread   "Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 9:46 am

Nice grabs FF!!!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: "Recently Purchased" Thread   "Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 11:48 am

Opeth - Blackwater Park, Legacy Edition. Replacing my first pressing.

5.0?? So is the LFE split through all five channels?
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: "Recently Purchased" Thread   "Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 12:14 pm

corplhicks wrote:

no LFE on 5.0 mix. Bass is split amongst the other channels, no data to subwoofer.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: "Recently Purchased" Thread   "Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 12:32 pm

S.D. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

no LFE on 5.0 mix.  Bass is split amongst the other channels, no data to subwoofer.  

Sooooo does that still sound decent on a surround sound setup? I don't think I've ever heard 5.0 before.

BTW Still Life came in today. Looking forward to hearing the 5.1 (I get my home theater on Saturday!).
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: "Recently Purchased" Thread   "Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 12:34 pm

I have no idea, I don't have a surround setup. But it's not that uncommon to do 5.0 mixes for music albums, I've seen several (open them up in a program like audacity and you'll see they do have an LFE track but it's silent.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: "Recently Purchased" Thread   "Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 12:43 pm

Fascinating. I'm even more curious to hear it now.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: "Recently Purchased" Thread   "Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 12:57 pm

Well, you have to remember that LFE tracks are created by the system separating frequencies under a certain range and routing those to that specific channel. If you solo an LFE track it's really just noise, partial drum hits, etc. It sounds like ass by itself, I think some engineers don't like that and prefer to leave the low frequency within the other 5 channels.

Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: "Recently Purchased" Thread   "Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 3:50 pm

S.D. wrote:
Well, you have to remember that LFE tracks are created by the system separating frequencies under a certain range and routing those to that specific channel.  If you solo an LFE track it's really just noise, partial drum hits, etc.  It sounds like ass by itself, I think some engineers don't like that and prefer to leave the low frequency within the other 5 channels.

I prefer it that way, since I do not use the subwoofer as just a boom boom effects box. All I need is one more sub and I'll have that in quad, too. Just have stereo subs for now. I like them to catch the frequencies that the regular speakers don't. I have them all set to large because I am using decent bookshelf speakers and not little satellites.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: "Recently Purchased" Thread   "Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 11:17 pm

I need a new receiver before I can do the surround thing, mine is so old the surround portion (which I've never used, it has always been just a stereo amp for me) still has Dolby Pro-Logic. I love the stereo sound of it.

The way my living room is configured isn't long enough to really do justice to surround anyway.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: "Recently Purchased" Thread   "Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2014 12:48 am

Home theaters and I have a very, very spotty history. I've gone through three of them, but they were all lower-end which I believe was the reason for my frustration. For one, having to crank up the center channel ALL THE WAY just to hear the dialogue just isn't cool. Then the subs were too wide (of course the cheaper units never had a powered sub). Then I would only get a three-band EQ (one system lacked an EQ completely!). And the SR was always weak as hell with no effect. As for setting it up, I had hours of research in learning how to properly set up and calibrate a system, but no matter what the variables, it still never worked well with me.

This system I'm picking up tomorrow is a high-end unit with positive reviews and raves from audiophiles, so here's hoping. This is the last time I'm doing something like this haha.
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: "Recently Purchased" Thread   "Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2014 2:36 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Home theaters and I have a very, very spotty history. I've gone through three of them, but they were all lower-end which I believe was the reason for my frustration. For one, having to crank up the center channel ALL THE WAY just to hear the dialogue just isn't cool. Then the subs were too wide (of course the cheaper units never had a powered sub). Then I would only get a three-band EQ (one system lacked an EQ completely!). And the SR was always weak as hell with no effect. As for setting it up, I had hours of research in learning how to properly set up and calibrate a system, but no matter what the variables, it still never worked well with me.

This system I'm picking up tomorrow is a high-end unit with positive reviews and raves from audiophiles, so here's hoping. This is the last time I'm doing something like this haha.

What are you getting? Lay out the specs! I've got a medium end home theater system(and want high end one of these days!!!) - Marantz receiver and Klipsch 5.1 speaker set (Asian made, not the better quality US stuff) It'll do until I strike it rich!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: "Recently Purchased" Thread   "Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2014 11:41 pm

theJOKERiv wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

What are you getting? Lay out the specs! I've got a medium end home theater system(and want high end one of these days!!!) - Marantz receiver and Klipsch 5.1 speaker set (Asian made, not the better quality US stuff) It'll do until I strike it rich!

Marantz is an amazing manufacturer, I bet that thing smokes. Smile

It's a Polk DS7200: http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/polkaudio_ds7200.htm. A home theater enthusiast who is a bit of a hoarder was cleaning out his stock for dirt cheap. I should've mentioned it's an older 2002 model and was high-end at the time, but from what I've read it's still sworn by in the industry. The amps are actually housed in the sub, which is enormous. No HDMI, which isn't a big deal, I'll just go component and coaxial. Perhaps calling this "high-end" is a bit of a misnomer due to its age and lower wattage output than modern systems (although in a small home like mine it's more than enough).

What I didn't know until picking it up today is that the sub is supposedly infested with black widows. Dude kept it stored on his garage floor for years without covering it. So I gotta open it up and see what's going on. And I'm a card-carrying arachnophobe. Yay.
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: "Recently Purchased" Thread   "Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 8:51 am

Nice haul! (Except for the Black Widows.......) I'm sure it will still sound great!

Here's what I have:

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=avreceivers&ProductId=SR5007

http://www.klipsch.com/high-definition-theater-1000-home-theater-system/details

You'll be cranking the blu rays on it soon it enough!!!! Maybe SD can head up your way you and two can have a Michael Bay Blu Ray Marathon!!!! JUST KIDDING!!!!!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: "Recently Purchased" Thread   "Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2014 11:07 pm

I think SD and I would rather prefer a Michael Bay Blu Ray BURNING. Everyone's invited!

Okay that Marantz is a beauty. The 4K pass through is something that should've happened many years ago and I'm glad more recent systems have been making it happen. And the two-zone feature is something that would be perfect in our home. And built-in Spotify! I'd love to have this receiver.

I've always wondered what 7.2 sounds/feels like. I bet it's head-spinning.
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: "Recently Purchased" Thread   "Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2014 8:41 am

corplhicks wrote:
I think SD and I would rather prefer a Michael Bay Blu Ray BURNING. Everyone's invited!

Okay that Marantz is a beauty. The 4K pass through is something that should've happened many years ago and I'm glad more recent systems have been making it happen. And the two-zone feature is something that would be perfect in our home. And built-in Spotify! I'd love to have this receiver.

I've always wondered what 7.2 sounds/feels like. I bet it's head-spinning.

I only have the 5.1 - need a new speaker set up for 7.2......
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: "Recently Purchased" Thread   "Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2014 9:58 pm

Deep Purple - Now What (2 disc)
Charles Mingus - Blues and Roots
Bruce Dickinson - Accident of Birth
Big Big Train - English Electric 2
Coltrane - Giant Steps
Ellington - The Okeh Ellington
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: "Recently Purchased" Thread   "Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2014 7:07 pm

Finally getting caught up on some recent releases:
Overkill - White Devil Armory (deluxe w/bonus trx)
Kix - Rock Your Face Off
Accept -Blind Rage
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Recently Purchased" Thread   "Recently Purchased" Thread - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Recently Purchased" Thread
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next