The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

King Crimson

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

King Crimson Empty
PostSubject: King Crimson   King Crimson I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 4:28 am

Somehow I completely missed King Crimson until my mid 20's, I had heard of them, but never actually heard them. At that time I was working in a used CD store with a complete King Crimson fanatic, he turned me onto their entire studio catalog over the course of a few weeks. Since I was already getting into jazz, Crimson's music made perfect sense to me. It was a great combination of styles, the sound of rock with the attitude and structural arrangement of jazz. Plus a little bit of everything else thrown into the mix...with a healthy dose of humor thrown in for good measure.

King Crimson has gone through many changes over the years, their roster in a constant state of flux, several extended periods of dormancy...yet all the while remaining a completely unique band under the direction of Robert Fripp. Fripp could be one of the most underrated musicians in rock, some of the stuff this guy played in the early 70's is STILL ahead of it's time.

The best thing about Crimson is they had no fear. They felt no pressure to be "commercial", they picked their course and have stuck with it ever since. A band this hard to classify is never going to be a huge success...but the number of people this group influenced is staggering. Even though listening to this band hasn't changed the style of music I play, they definitely changed the way I perceive music. A prog rock band that's primarily improv based, that's actually rarer than alot of people think...and a gift to be treasured.
Back to top Go down
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

King Crimson Empty
PostSubject: Re: King Crimson   King Crimson I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 9:53 pm

Their first three albums are awesome. Anything after that I'm not familiar with.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

King Crimson Empty
PostSubject: Re: King Crimson   King Crimson I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 10:23 pm

You're going to need to remedy that "Special Guest".

The 1973-74 band is one of the most innovative and intense prog rock/fusion bands of all time. It's great to hear John Wetton (pre-Asia) really cut loose, the dude was a monster bass player before he got into the "heat of the moment".
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

King Crimson Empty
PostSubject: Re: King Crimson   King Crimson I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 3:10 pm

There has to be somebody interested in Crimson other than myself???
Back to top Go down
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

King Crimson Empty
PostSubject: Re: King Crimson   King Crimson I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 7:22 pm

Detuned wrote:
There has to be somebody interested in Crimson other than myself???

Not really, just me and Robert Fripp.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

King Crimson Empty
PostSubject: Re: King Crimson   King Crimson I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 10:13 pm

I first heard KC's Beat album and I liked it well enough to go backwards from there, I really like In The Wake Of Poseidon, Larks' Tongues In Aspic & Starless And Bible Black.

Fripp and Belew have always been kick ass IMO.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

King Crimson Empty
PostSubject: Re: King Crimson   King Crimson I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 10:41 pm

You know man, the REAL meat & potatoes of Crimson is the Live material. They've always been primarily improv and their live shows are invariably wilder than the studio dates ever get.

My MAIN recommendation is to look for a 2 CD set called "Ladies Of The Road" - it's a collection of live material from the "Islands" era band and is my favorite Crimson. I love all the different Crimso eras...but there's something special about the group with Mel Collins/Boz Burrell. I've been collecting as many live concerts from that lineup as possible.

Also, for the Wetton/Fripp/Bruford lineup, definitely get "The Collectable King Crimson: Volume 1" - Live In Mainz & Live in Asbury Park (1974). It's a 2 CD set of improvisational perfection.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

King Crimson Empty
PostSubject: Re: King Crimson   King Crimson I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 5:51 pm

CAT FOOD AGAIN jazzy
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

King Crimson Empty
PostSubject: Re: King Crimson   King Crimson I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 9:07 pm

Detuned wrote:
You know man, the REAL meat & potatoes of Crimson is the Live material. They've always been primarily improv and their live shows are invariably wilder than the studio dates ever get.

My MAIN recommendation is to look for a 2 CD set called "Ladies Of The Road" - it's a collection of live material from the "Islands" era band and is my favorite Crimson. I love all the different Crimso eras...but there's something special about the group with Mel Collins/Boz Burrell. I've been collecting as many live concerts from that lineup as possible.

Also, for the Wetton/Fripp/Bruford lineup, definitely get "The Collectable King Crimson: Volume 1" - Live In Mainz & Live in Asbury Park (1974). It's a 2 CD set of improvisational perfection.

Not being a live album guy, I've let KC's live albums fly under the radar, I'll get all those you recommended.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

King Crimson Empty
PostSubject: Re: King Crimson   King Crimson I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 9:25 pm

I've always loved live albums, prefer them by bands that actually improvise. Jazz is often better live, as is fusion.

The first Crimson lineup (1969-70) was more psychedlic-spacey.
The Lizard & Islands lineups (71-72) were the most jazz oriented in structural terms.
The Larks' lineup (73-74) was the insane jazz/metal/noise combo.
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23

Jesusandmetal23

King Crimson Empty
PostSubject: Re: King Crimson   King Crimson I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 7:25 pm

I LOVE In The Court. It was WAY ahead of its time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

King Crimson Empty
PostSubject: Re: King Crimson   King Crimson I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

King Crimson
Page 1 of 1