The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Chase (Bill Chase)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Chase (Bill Chase) Empty
PostSubject: Chase (Bill Chase)   Chase (Bill Chase) I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 3:31 pm

Bill Chase is my fave Jazz/Fusion artist and many people don't seem to be familiar with his band Chase who released 3 albums (Chase, Ennea & Pure Music) before his untimely death at age 38. I'll post comments on all 3 of Chase's albums individually over time but this is to hold you over.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Chase (Bill Chase) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chase (Bill Chase)   Chase (Bill Chase) I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 9:22 pm

I guess Chase didn't make a good impression?
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Chase (Bill Chase) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chase (Bill Chase)   Chase (Bill Chase) I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 11:24 pm

...I need to check this out, been busy at work and I can't "youtube" there. I'll get to it sometime this weekend. Smile
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Chase (Bill Chase) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chase (Bill Chase)   Chase (Bill Chase) I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 12:43 am

Okay, I listened to that earlier. I realize now that I have heard these guys before, I read about them in a book on Jazz Rock, later checked them out at a friends house.

Jazz Rock is where I'd classify this (Chicago, Blood, Sweat & Tears, etc). There are elements I definitely like, especially the keyboardist who is quite impressive. The rhythm section is also accomplished. The things that detract from the overall are the horn charts which are fairly generic "white boy riff" kinda stuff, they work in segments but are overused here. It ends up being a little too much "bombast" for my tastes. The vocals are also a distraction.

Anyway, I'd like to hear more songs to get a better vibe off an entire album. I have a couple friends that are really into this band, so I'll give them a further study later.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Chase (Bill Chase) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chase (Bill Chase)   Chase (Bill Chase) I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 8:50 am

Everything you find distasteful I find cool. I like the fact that the horns are "bombastic" which is why I like them better than other Jazz Rock bands. Great post though D, I can see why you'd say that.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Chase (Bill Chase) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chase (Bill Chase)   Chase (Bill Chase) I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 12:27 pm

Akeldama wrote:
Everything you find distasteful I find cool. I like the fact that the horns are "bombastic" which is why I like them better than other Jazz Rock bands. Great post though D, I can see why you'd say that.

You know, it's really just a taste thing. I'm not big into the Stan Kenton/Maynard Ferguson type of arrangements and that's where this stuff derives from mostly.

For horn arrangements I prefer people like Oliver Nelson and Gil Evans.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Chase (Bill Chase) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chase (Bill Chase)   Chase (Bill Chase) I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 3:04 pm

Yeah, Maynard Ferguson was a big influence on Bill Chase. I need to go back and jam some Oliver Nelson and Gil Evans, I 'd like to see where you're coming from. I have so much obscure Jazz Rock that I know you'd like now, once in a while I'll post some.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Chase (Bill Chase) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chase (Bill Chase)   Chase (Bill Chase) I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 9:09 am

See if you can track down this CD, a great introduction to Gil Evans.

Chase (Bill Chase) C5023195x21
Gil Evans - The Individualism of Gil Evans (Verve)

Incredible album with some nice features for Wayne Shorter and Kenny Burrell
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Chase (Bill Chase) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chase (Bill Chase)   Chase (Bill Chase) I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 3:31 pm

Will do.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

Chase (Bill Chase) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chase (Bill Chase)   Chase (Bill Chase) I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 9:46 pm

Just listened to it now. The rhythm section is bad ass, the only thing I really don't like here is the vocalist, and the horn blasts are a bid redundant, but still a good song.
Back to top Go down
Stender
Delicious Vomit
Stender

Chase (Bill Chase) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chase (Bill Chase)   Chase (Bill Chase) I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 10:45 pm

Whoa badass Akeldama, that track is actually really heavy. I dont mind the vocals so much it reminds me of motown funk type stuff like Rare Earth's vocalist.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Chase (Bill Chase) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chase (Bill Chase)   Chase (Bill Chase) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 3:15 pm

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Chase (Bill Chase) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chase (Bill Chase)   Chase (Bill Chase) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 3:16 pm

Stender wrote:
Whoa badass Akeldama, that track is actually really heavy. I dont mind the vocals so much it reminds me of motown funk type stuff like Rare Earth's vocalist.

Yeah,I like the vox and it is a lot like Pete Rivera of Rare Earth.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chase (Bill Chase) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chase (Bill Chase)   Chase (Bill Chase) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chase (Bill Chase)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Workshop :: Thick As A Brick :: Dr. Music-
Jump to: