The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

the RUSH discography thread

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

the RUSH discography thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the RUSH discography thread   the RUSH discography thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 11:47 am

*bump*
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: the RUSH discography thread   the RUSH discography thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 1:55 pm

I listened to Hold Your Fire yesterday and I really liked it a lot. Before I never cared for the album but I wanted something a little different to listen to and it really grabbed me.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: the RUSH discography thread   the RUSH discography thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2013 1:20 pm

I should just re-write this entire thread. Reading through these old reviews it is obvious where my mental state was at while writing them and I can detect the fuzziness brought on by the massive cocktails of doctor-prescribed medication I was on. It's sad and frustrating.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: the RUSH discography thread   the RUSH discography thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2013 8:10 pm

I dug your reviews, Shawn but if you wanna redo 'em go ahead man!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: the RUSH discography thread   the RUSH discography thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2014 12:27 pm

THAT was a great read. I really need to explore Rush past Moving Pictures (although my first album was Counterparts and I still dig it); I was always one of those stupid metalheads that cried "fuck those synths!" Of course that's changed, but I've never taken the time with their later library. And it's nice to know I'm not alone with Caress of Steel. Half of that album is really, really good, the other half is lacking, or seems rushed like you say. And that narration has always bugged the hell out of me haha. Anyway, this is all a solid companion piece.

My order of favorite Rush studio albums (that I've really heard thoroughly):
Moving Pictures
Farewell to Kings
Permanent Waves
Counterparts
Fly by Night
Rush
Caress of Steel
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: the RUSH discography thread   the RUSH discography thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2014 3:21 pm

Power Windows has slowly become one of my favorite Rush albums recently; I actually reach for it and Grace Under Pressure more consistently than their "classic" albums.
Back to top Go down
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

PostSubject: Re: the RUSH discography thread   the RUSH discography thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2014 7:18 pm

Going on what you said about extended pieces, I think the title track of Clockwork Angels is the closest they've come to that in a while. Other than 2112, none of their sidelong epics really live up to their potential, but Rush seem to have a real talent for 7-12 minute pieces.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: the RUSH discography thread   the RUSH discography thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2014 8:16 pm

I think the song Headlong Flight qualifies as well. Xanadu is my all-time favorite Rush song, another one that fits into the 7-12 minute range.

Back to top Go down
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

PostSubject: Re: the RUSH discography thread   the RUSH discography thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2015 7:10 pm

Been re-listening through Rush's catalog lately and have a few random little thoughts to put in about the first 3 records;

-I never understood people who didn't like Geddy's voice, but listening to the debut, I can see it. I absolutely adore his singing, but I can get how the shrieking he did in the early years would turn people off
-I kind of like Rivendell if I'm in the right mood. It's not really a bad song, just doesn't fit the album at all. Same case with I Think I'm Going Bald
-The fact that Fly By Night has 3 songs in a row that start with B annoys me. I know that's a dumb complaint but my mind is weird and doesn't like that
-The Fountain Of Lamneth could have benefited from being a little longer, I think. All of the segments work well individually and with some more time to transition smoothly, they wouldn't seem so squished together. Or just make it seperate tracks, like they probably should have done in the first place.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: the RUSH discography thread   the RUSH discography thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2015 11:25 am

Geddy's earlier performances can be like fingernails on chalkboard to some, but I've never had a problem with his voice. Always loved it. I'm also a huge fan of Hodgson from Supertramp whose voice is probably closest to Lee's of anyone that I can think of. (though of course he never did the screaming banshee thing).

My Mother was fine when i played Rush as long as it was Permanent Waves or afterward, prior to that album she just couldn't stand the way Geddy sang.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the RUSH discography thread   the RUSH discography thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the RUSH discography thread
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2