The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

recommend me some notable prog albums

Go down 
+3
S.D.
MetalGuy71
Stender
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Stender
Delicious Vomit
Stender

recommend me some notable prog albums  Empty
PostSubject: recommend me some notable prog albums    recommend me some notable prog albums  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 8:19 pm

All I really know is king crimson really when it comes to prog, besides just other stuff I have touched upon like zeuhl bands like magma or roger waters, saga, picchio dal posso', elroy, larry coryell, and other ones I cant think of right now, anyways recommend me some bands with the focus on prog albums from the 70s and 80s to start or any proto bands that kinda had the same mindset that came earlier.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: recommend me some notable prog albums    recommend me some notable prog albums  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 10:13 am

I don't know dick about 70's prog, but one new band that I like that does the whole "retro" thing is Astra. Check out their album The Weirding.

http://www.myspace.com/astrasound
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: recommend me some notable prog albums    recommend me some notable prog albums  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 10:15 am

I'll be posting some recommendations soon...life has been taking priority.

DAMNIT!

mind fucked
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: recommend me some notable prog albums    recommend me some notable prog albums  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 2:08 pm

Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier Wink
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: recommend me some notable prog albums    recommend me some notable prog albums  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 7:57 pm

theJOKERiv wrote:
Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier Wink

you are SUCH a fanboy. Razz
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: recommend me some notable prog albums    recommend me some notable prog albums  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 3:34 pm

Voivod- Dimension Hatross
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: recommend me some notable prog albums    recommend me some notable prog albums  I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 11:20 am

I think before you jump into prog, you need to assimilate some of the psychedelic and jazz-rock oriented albums from the time period, all these musical styles appeared about the same time and fed off each other. The established prog rock of the early 70's owes it's genesis to it's more experimental jazz cousins.

You need to start in 1967 with an album from the Gary Burton Quartet (featuring Larry Coryell)

recommend me some notable prog albums  4109RPFAMGL._SL500_AA300_

While still mostly jazz based, you can hear the same language that the rockers would soon jump on.

Pharoah Sanders' "spiritual jazz albums", a continuation of the emotional void left by Coltrane's passing. Any of his Impulse albums from the late 60's/early 70's are worth getting (Karma being the most popular). However, I lean towards Thembi, as it touches on all the styles Pharoah was working on during this era.

recommend me some notable prog albums  51bymMDTdGL._SL500_AA300_

ANYTHING by John McLaughlin and/or Mahavishnu Orchestra would be my next stop. Their influence on prog rock is pretty much universally accepted.

recommend me some notable prog albums  41R97Ab4LmL._SL500_AA300_

Tony Williams. In my mind probablly the greatest drummer of all-time, he entered the fusion world with a bang after leaving Miles Davis' band in 1968.

recommend me some notable prog albums  41BK3YVVSBL._SL500_AA300_

Jazz Hammond genius Larry Young and John McLaughlin on board.

We'll move onto other titles soon.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: recommend me some notable prog albums    recommend me some notable prog albums  I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 1:01 pm

Somehow I missed out on Camel until recently. If ELP didn't suck, this is what they would sound like.

recommend me some notable prog albums  41GFRE1AWQL._SL500_AA300_

Very cool album, looking forward to exploring more of their stuff. I like the jazz tendencies in the arrangements.

Back to top Go down
Stender
Delicious Vomit
Stender

PostSubject: Re: recommend me some notable prog albums    recommend me some notable prog albums  I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 11:22 pm

Thanks bro! These look like a good start. Ill let you know what I think after I get a chance to pick up a few of em.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: recommend me some notable prog albums    recommend me some notable prog albums  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 3:14 am

other "must-own" albums.

recommend me some notable prog albums  C415227kg5u
Nope, I'm not kidding, The Moody's "drug album".

recommend me some notable prog albums  K31680npsb2
My favorite Crimson lineup. Disc one is a compilation of live tracks recorded on the 1972 Islands tour, sound quality is excellent and it's edited together to sound like a seamless performance. Disc two is basically 45 minutes of guitar and saxophone solos edited together from numerous takes of 21st Century Schizoid Man.

recommend me some notable prog albums  F66714cuku1
Yes' debut and the most underrated album in their entire catalog. The remaster with this cover contains a bunch of bonus tracks. Peter Banks (original guitarist) is amazing.

recommend me some notable prog albums  E6112024ch9
I love this album, it's a transitional work, but an utterly fascinating one. Musically it's all over the map, everything from hard rock to folk to Bach to blues, etc. All imbued with Anderson's cynical insanity and the debut of his right hand man Martin Barre. While some may argue whether it's progressive rock or not...it's progressive.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: recommend me some notable prog albums    recommend me some notable prog albums  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 11:40 pm

Camel-S/T
Message-From Books And Dreams
Message-The Dawn Anew Is Coming
Check out Eloy, I got like 20 albums by them. They kick ass.
Yes-Tormato
The Grateful Dead-Blues For Allah (more of a Jazz Fusion album but good nonetheless).
Fuzzy Duck-S/T
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: recommend me some notable prog albums    recommend me some notable prog albums  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 11:42 pm

Can't go wrong with Journey's first 3 either.
Back to top Go down
Shawn

Shawn

PostSubject: Re: recommend me some notable prog albums    recommend me some notable prog albums  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 11:21 am

Kansas - s/t
Porcupine Tree - Signify
Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
The Dear Hunter - Act I: The Lake South, The River North
King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
Platypus - Ice Cycles
Spock's Beard - The Kindness Of Strangers
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery
Echolyn - As The World
Edensong - The Fruit Fallen
The Flower Kings - Space Revolver
Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
Radiohead - OK Computer
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: recommend me some notable prog albums    recommend me some notable prog albums  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 11:24 am

I thought you hated Brain Salad Surgery? I know I do. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Shawn

Shawn

PostSubject: Re: recommend me some notable prog albums    recommend me some notable prog albums  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 11:25 am

Detuned wrote:
I thought you hated Brain Salad Surgery? I know I do. What a Face

I just recanted in the ELP thread...it grew on me and I like it for what it is now...still doesn't blow me away, but I've come to respect it for its place and have even come to enjoy it a bit...a grower for sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: recommend me some notable prog albums    recommend me some notable prog albums  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

recommend me some notable prog albums
Page 1 of 1