The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius?

Go down 
+2
Akeldama
S.D.
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius?   Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 9:16 am

Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius? - Page 2 41gjX7IgldL._SL500_AA280_
Time [1981]

I just listened to this album for the first time in a very long time and found it to be quite enjoyable and can't believe I panned it just b/c it was an '80s release. It's not as much a product of it's time like 'Discovery' and it's tons better and has a lot of what made me enjoy '70s ELO so much but with some newer things musically at times (Rockabilly, New Wave & Reggae). It's an energetic album most of the way and although it slows down in tempo for a couple of songs it never lags. I still hate "Hold On Tight" Laughing Of the bonus tracks "The Bouncer" is a kewl tune that is like a Beatles meets Elvis number "When Time Stood Still" is chock full of Beatles-esque motifs but still a good song. "Julie Don't Live Here" reminds me a lot of Harrison meets Orbison style. Very Traveling Wilburys if you ask me.

Fave tracks: "Prologue", "Twilight", "Yours Truly, 2095", "The Lights Go Down" & "Here Is The News".
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius?   Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 2:20 am

I owned the 45 single of Twilight when it first came out but never heard the entire album until a couple years ago. I was surprised by how good it was.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius?   Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 12:44 pm

I dipped my toes in the waters of ELO this weekend with an Essential collection I picked up at a record show this past weekend.

I recognized more songs than I thought I might. It starts off strong with some catchy Beatles-esque numbers but starts losing steam towards the end with what I assume is late 70's/early 80's disco sounding music. Ick.

I'll hold onto this disc for awhile and give it some time to see if anything really grabs me by the short & curlies, but this might be one of those "greatest hits only" bands for me. Perhaps their early works would be more my speed.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius?   Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 3:12 am

MG. I recommend checking out the albums "Face The Music" and "A New World Record", you'll probably find plenty of material on those that didn't make the "essential" collection that you'd like.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius?   Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 8:06 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I dipped my toes in the waters of ELO this weekend with an Essential collection I picked up at a record show this past weekend.

I recognized more songs than I thought I might. It starts off strong with some catchy Beatles-esque numbers but starts losing steam towards the end with what I assume is late 70's/early 80's disco sounding music. Ick.

I'll hold onto this disc for awhile and give it some time to see if anything really grabs me by the short & curlies, but this might be one of those "greatest hits only" bands for me. Perhaps their early works would be more my speed.

I'd start with 'Face The Music', then 'On The Third Day' then 'A New World Record'. MG, I'd also recommend the first two ELO records and if something really grabs you there check out Roy Wood's Wizzard.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius?   Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 11:48 am

At this point, I'll probably just stick with the essential collection for now. If I decide to dig any deeper, I'll take your guy's recommendations under consideration for sure.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius?   Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 12:39 pm

Akeldama wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I'd start with 'Face The Music', then 'On The Third Day' then 'A New World Record'. MG, I'd also recommend the first two ELO records and if something really grabs you there check out Roy Wood's Wizzard.

I really like the first ELO album. It would have been interesting if Ron Wood have stayed, but we would not have ended up with the ELO we know and love.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius?   Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 9:12 pm

Yeah man Roy Wood is one talented mofo.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius?   Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 1:23 am

The first album is good but honestly the best songs are the Lynne compositions.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius?   Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 1:06 pm

Jeff Lynne is getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame!

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/jeff-lynne-to-get-hollywood-honour/
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius?   Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 6:46 pm

That's great! Good thing I jammed ELO on the way home. He shoulda produced an APP album... Without Lynne, Petty wouldn't have the success he has and that's just one artist! He also did some good stuff for the likes of Dave Edmunds, etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius?   Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Electric Light Orchestra - guilty pleasure or genius?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2