The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black

Go down 
+2
Akeldama
S.D.
6 posters
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black Empty
PostSubject: Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black   Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 8:26 pm

Detuned Variation #1 - I Hear Black

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is a quick little remaster I did for my own amusement (and hopefully your enjoyment). I've uploaded these tracks as .wav files so they can be burned to CD easily.

There were 2 things that really bugged me about this record, the tracklist didn't flow smoothly and the original CD sounded like flat Coke.

This remaster was done from an original Atlantic press CD. The EQ curve I used was based solely off my stereo which is set flat with no bass or treble boost, so you might need to adjust to taste based on your system. Sounded pretty good in headphones too, so it should adapt well. It might actually be quieter than the original disc, but it sounds a helluva lot better, use your volume control. LOL

Here is my modified track order.

I Hear Black (Detuned Variation)

1. Weight Of The World
2. Ignorance And Innocence
3. World Of Hurt
4. Dreaming In Columbian
5. Undying
6. Spiritual Void
7. Just Like You
8. I Hear Black
9. Ghost Dance (included her for completeness, I didn't even include it on my disc)
10. Feed My Head
11. Shades Of Grey

Feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Cheers!

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black   Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 2:22 pm

Fucking rad! I'll check this out asap, I always felt the production on IHB sounded like, as you put it "flat Coke", hehe.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black   Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 2:30 pm

Glad someone finally stumbled upon this. LOL
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black   Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 4:36 pm

Cool dude! I'll upload it after work.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black   Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 8:18 am

This sounds pretty damn good man. I'm not sure how you did what you did but it sounds great.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black   Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 9:21 am

Downloadin' it now...
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black   Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 10:46 am

gershom wrote:
This sounds pretty damn good man. I'm not sure how you did what you did but it sounds great.

Well, since you asked. LOL

1. I loaded all the tracks from the CD into the computer in .wav format.
2. The CD was highly compressed, so I lowered the volume by 50% so I'd have headroom for EQ.
3. Slowly worked on an EQ curve until I found the sound I was looking for.
4. Applied the EQ to all tracks
5. Raised the volume back up using "Maximum Peak Value Normalization" instead of digital compression. This finds the loudest sound in a song and raises that to 0vu, without affecting the dynamic range of the track.
6. Then I played around with various track orders till I found a flow I liked.

That's it in a nutshell.

Most people are used to remasters that are LOUDER, mine is quieter than the original CD because I don't use digital limiting compression.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black   Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 1:09 pm

Detuned wrote:
gershom wrote:

Well, since you asked. LOL

1. I loaded all the tracks from the CD into the computer in .wav format.
2. The CD was highly compressed, so I lowered the volume by 50% so I'd have headroom for EQ.
3. Slowly worked on an EQ curve until I found the sound I was looking for.
4. Applied the EQ to all tracks
5. Raised the volume back up using "Maximum Peak Value Normalization" instead of digital compression. This finds the loudest sound in a song and raises that to 0vu, without affecting the dynamic range of the track.
6. Then I played around with various track orders till I found a flow I liked.

That's it in a nutshell.

Most people are used to remasters that are LOUDER, mine is quieter than the original CD because I don't use digital limiting compression.

Which program did you use for this?
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black   Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 2:51 pm

Logic Pro (Mac)

Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black   Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 9:27 pm

Wow Detuned, that's pretty damn interesting, seriously, you should be doing some music producing somewhere man.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black   Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 11:35 pm

I used to do corporate audio (commercials and crap), just need to find a new gig
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black   Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black I_icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 9:58 pm

Just getting around to the whole LP today and it sounds great dude! Gives the album a new dimension really.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black   Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Detuned Variation #1 - Overkill's I Hear Black
Page 1 of 1