The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

remembering the real "Johnny"

Go down 
+2
Shawn
S.D.
6 posters
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

remembering the real "Johnny" Empty
PostSubject: remembering the real "Johnny"   remembering the real "Johnny" I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 12:13 pm

Johnny went to Vietnam in 1964, shortly after his 18th birthday. See, his Dad was an abusive bastard and he told Johnny that he could either go to work for him...or join the Army. Johnny decided Vietnam was the preferred choice between those two options.

He was injured when his best friend stepped on a landmine while they were walking patrol. Johnny stepped over that landmine, his friend was several paces behind and had the misfortune to step directly on it. Johnny had schrapnel still working it's way out years later.

He got the Purple Heart and was returned to the States. Unfortunately they stationed him at Arlington Cemetery in DC, to assist with the overwhelming amount of burials that had to be completed due to the war. Johnny couldn't handle it, told his CO that "he'd wouldn't bury one more damn Vietnam dead, you can throw me in Leavenworth for the rest of my life, I ain't doin' it". He was honorably discharged.

Johnny was living in DC, but a good part of Johnny's soul remained lost somewhere in jungle on the other side of the world.

Johnny was a good guy, but wasn't really able to completely adapt to civilian life. He became a vagabond and wandered from state to state, even moved to Germany for 5 years. He left baggage behind, namely families. He married 4 women over the next 17 years or so, he also fathered a single child with each one. None of the women were able to stay with Johnny long however, none of the marriages reached the 5 year mark.

Once Johnny reached his 40's the lingering effects of Agent Orange exposure began to eat away at him one organ at a time. Johnny fought through as long as he could; dealt with the night terrors, the depression, panic attacks, spinal meningitis, liver caner, stomach cancer. Survived 'em all.

The ironic twist for Johnny was that his pre-Vietnam life was what eventually did him in. During the summers when school was out he worked in shipbuilding yards. This was during the early 1960s and all ships were insulated with Asbestos. His job was to apply the insulation.

Johnny passed away in 2005. He was one of the "lost survivors" of the Vietnam era. Not physically disabled, not dead, but not really prepared to deal with living a life after what he experienced in the jungle.

Johnny was my Dad. R.I.P.

Back to top Go down
Shawn

Shawn

PostSubject: Re: remembering the real "Johnny"   remembering the real "Johnny" I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 2:09 pm

R.I.P. Johnny
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: remembering the real "Johnny"   remembering the real "Johnny" I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 8:07 am

Man that's a drag, sorry to hear, but good to know, so as not to forget. There are so many others with similar stories that sadly no one will remember. Thanks for sharing this with us unworthy bastards, R.I.P. Johnny.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: remembering the real "Johnny"   remembering the real "Johnny" I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 2:21 pm

Man dude, that was...I am at a loss for words honestly. R.I.P. Johnny.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: remembering the real "Johnny"   remembering the real "Johnny" I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 2:54 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys, I'm going to be posting a few of his drawings soon.

Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: remembering the real "Johnny"   remembering the real "Johnny" I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 3:59 pm

That's Rough............RIP
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: remembering the real "Johnny"   remembering the real "Johnny" I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 9:37 am

Wow..............RIP
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: remembering the real "Johnny"   remembering the real "Johnny" I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

remembering the real "Johnny"
Page 1 of 1