The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

*Audio Geek in residence* - ask away

Go down 
+3
SpectreFate
theJOKERiv
S.D.
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

*Audio Geek in residence* - ask away - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: *Audio Geek in residence* - ask away   *Audio Geek in residence* - ask away - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 4:46 pm

I don't drink the kool-aid that says you have to spend a ton of money on audio and speaker cables. As long as you don't buy super cheap junk cables you're fine. The only thing I don't like about Monster cables is often they are so tight they are hard to connect and disconnect, I broke the RCA jack on a CD player once just trying to get a Monster cable off.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: *Audio Geek in residence* - ask away   *Audio Geek in residence* - ask away - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 5:30 pm

Yeah, some of those guys spend a lot of $$$$ on cables.

Looks like they have some affordable quality ones at Parts Express, KnuKonceptz.com and a place called Deep Surplus. Oh, and Monoprice.

I just have some old ones that I want to replace and I mine as well replace them all with newer stuff that isn't dirt cheap.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: *Audio Geek in residence* - ask away   *Audio Geek in residence* - ask away - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2015 11:56 pm

I feel like I've posted here before about this, but I'm looking into buying a nice (relatively inexpensive) pair of over-the-ear headphones, and I'm looking at sennheiser's again. I'm wondering what pair would be the best in the 50-70 dollar range, or if I'd need to be willing to drop a little more on them. I'm not looking for audiophile quality, to be quite honest, but I'd like to take a step up from the shitty stock iPhone earbuds.

Right now I'm inbetween the HD419s which are 55 bucks, and the HD205-IIs which are 70. I don't know the differences in the specs, and I don't know what would be the best for the genres I tend to listen to (folk, prog/traditional metal, synthpop, and prog rock, mainly).

But I'd like to know if it'd be necessary to go higher price-wise, because feasibly I could go a little more without feeling irresponsible (maybe 120-150 at the very most).
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: *Audio Geek in residence* - ask away   *Audio Geek in residence* - ask away - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2015 5:36 pm

I tell ya what, the headphones I have right now are the best I've heard for the money.

*Audio Geek in residence* - ask away - Page 3 81APjlVpgbL._SY355_

Audio Technica ATH-M30X Studio Monitors. You can get them on Amazon for $67.99. Very comfortable, over ear phones with excellent natural noise dampening and a 15 foot cord which I find essential cause I like to wander around the room while I listen. Beautiful sounding, very accurate detail.

Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: *Audio Geek in residence* - ask away   *Audio Geek in residence* - ask away - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2015 11:42 pm

Thanks dude, I'll seriously look into those.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: *Audio Geek in residence* - ask away   *Audio Geek in residence* - ask away - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2015 10:25 am

S.D. wrote:
I tell ya what, the headphones I have right now are the best I've heard for the money.  

*Audio Geek in residence* - ask away - Page 3 81APjlVpgbL._SY355_

Audio Technica ATH-M30X Studio Monitors.  You can get them on Amazon for $67.99.  Very comfortable, over ear phones with excellent natural noise dampening and a 15 foot cord which I find essential cause I like to wander around the room while I listen.  Beautiful sounding, very accurate detail.  

I should have asked about headphones when I had to shop for new ones. After years of using close backed headphones, I bought a pair of open back headphones that I like (I just haven't used headphones a lot lately) Grado SR60e. I think I paid about $80.

Here's mine:
*Audio Geek in residence* - ask away - Page 3 Sr60e_alt
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: *Audio Geek in residence* - ask away   *Audio Geek in residence* - ask away - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 4:09 pm

Grados are very popular phones and are high quality. I gravitate toward the Audio Technica because they are pretty neutral and don't color the sound too much (which is how all good studio monitors should be).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: *Audio Geek in residence* - ask away   *Audio Geek in residence* - ask away - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

*Audio Geek in residence* - ask away
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3