The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The 5 bands you've listened to the longest

Go down 
+6
Metal-On-Metal
Fat Freddy
theJOKERiv
Akeldama
Special Guest
S.D.
10 posters
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

The 5 bands you've listened to the longest Empty
PostSubject: The 5 bands you've listened to the longest   The 5 bands you've listened to the longest I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 2:04 am

This is simple, what are the five bands that you've listened to the longest and what year did you discover them? Try to stick to bands you still listen to now. Also what was the first album you got from each?

Here's mine as close as my memory will allow.

1. The Beatles. 1973(?) - Hey Jude/Revolution, Apple Records 45rpm. First LP was Abbey Road around 1975.

2. Queen - 1977. News Of The World album.

3. Pink Floyd - 1979. The Wall (or Dark Side, I can't remember which was first)

4. Rush - 1980. Permanent Waves

5. Iron Maiden - 1982. The Number of The Beast. The first record I "wanted" to buy was Killers, but my Mother nixed that idea because of the album cover.

(there were many other bands I listened to in the 70s and early 80s, but I didn't include them because I've either ceased to listen to them, or I went for a very long time without listening to them. I wanted to stick with bands that have more or less stayed in rotation.)

Back to top Go down
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

PostSubject: Re: The 5 bands you've listened to the longest   The 5 bands you've listened to the longest I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 2:18 am

1. They Might Be Giants, around 1995, the Flood album
2. Nirvana, 1995, the Nevermind album of course
3. AC/DC, about 1997, High Voltage album
4. Metallica, 2000 or so? I dunno, but Master Of Puppets was first
5. Black Sabbath, also about 2000 (even though at this point I couldn't distinguish between Ozzy's solo stuff and Sabbath, so I can't recall which album it was)
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: The 5 bands you've listened to the longest   The 5 bands you've listened to the longest I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 7:31 am

1. AC/DC-Highway To Hell-in the very early 80s-i was barely walking and fell in love w/this album, my eldest bro had the vinyl and I'd cry to listen to it all the time. I'd even sleep w/the vinyl tucked underneath my arm.

2. Thin Lizzy-Life/Live-mid 80s-as a kid my eldest bro had a 90 min cassette w/the vinyl version of Life/Live recorded on it. Some how the name Thin Lizzy piqued my interest and I ain't been the same since.

3. Motley Crue-Shout At The Devil-1990-and I was just a lad. I went to spend time w/one of my bros in ABQ and bought it at the mall on cassette.

4. Led Zeppelin-In Through The Out Door-1991-courtesy of my eldest bro.

5. Aerosmith-Get Your Wings/Rocks-1991-I traded a kid a Penthouse mag for both cassettes in elementary school.

Great thread!

Last edited by Akeldama on Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: The 5 bands you've listened to the longest   The 5 bands you've listened to the longest I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 7:34 am

I coulda put some others on there but like SD I either don't jam them anymore or went through a period of time where I didn't.
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: The 5 bands you've listened to the longest   The 5 bands you've listened to the longest I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 8:41 am

I'll give this shot and include bands that are still in huge rotation for me today:

1. KISS - 1976, first album I ever got was Destroyer in 1976. Still a huge fan!
2. Van Halen - 1978, someone gave me VH1 for my 9th birthday. That album still gets played by my to this day
3. AC/DC - 1980 - Heard the "hits" on the radio and loved them. First album I ever got by AC/DC was Dirty Deeds followed quickly by For Those About TO Rock, Highway and BiB
4. Def Leppard - 1983, first album was Pryomania, quickly picked up the first two. Those first four still get tons of play from me. The new stuff, not so much
5. Iron Maiden - 1982 - heard the hits from TNOTB on MTV. Finally picked up a whole album when Piece Of Mind was released. No turning back from there - lol!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The 5 bands you've listened to the longest   The 5 bands you've listened to the longest I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 10:25 am

AC/DC - First band I got into, I received LET THERE BE ROCK for Xmas in 1981.

The Ramones - First time I watched MTV in the Fall of '81, their videos for "Do You Remember Rock N Roll Radio?" and "We Want the Airwaves" got played fairly regularly.

Judas Priest - see above, replace song titles with "Headin' Out to the Highway" and "Hot Rockin'"

Metallica - game changer, when I first heard KILL'EM ALL in late '83/early '84, suddenly Quiet Riot and Motley Crue didn't cut it anymore.

Iron Maiden - was sold on these guys after seeing "The Number of the Beast" on MTV.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: The 5 bands you've listened to the longest   The 5 bands you've listened to the longest I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 12:13 pm

theJOKERiv wrote:

1. KISS - 1976, first album I ever got was Destroyer in 1976. Still a huge fan!

I got into KISS the same year, though my first album was "Rock N Roll Over" followed quickly by Alive!. The only reason I didn't include them is because I've barely listened to them since 1985. Once every couple years I'll get in the mood and spin some KISS, but they haven't been in regular rotation for me since Asylum came out.

FF,

The reaction you had to "Kill 'Em All", that was how I reacted to "Ride The Lightning" and "Haunting The Chapel"...those two 1984 releases pushed me in that direction and a WHOLE lot of other bands ceased to be relevant to me almost immediately (stuff like Quiet Riot, Def Leppard, Krokus, etc). I think Venom's "Welcome To Hell" was purchased shortly afterward.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The 5 bands you've listened to the longest   The 5 bands you've listened to the longest I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 3:47 pm

Quote :
The reaction you had to "Kill 'Em All", that was how I reacted to "Ride The Lightning" and "Haunting The Chapel"...those two 1984 releases pushed me in that direction and a WHOLE lot of other bands ceased to be relevant to me almost immediately (stuff like Quiet Riot, Def Leppard, Krokus, etc). I think Venom's "Welcome To Hell" was purchased shortly afterward.

Yep, same here. "Def who? Quiet what? Fuck those guys, WE HAVE A NEW CHAMPION!"

...I was actually a little frightened by KILL'EM ALL the first time I heard it, but in a totally good way, if that makes any sense. It was like the gates of Hell had suddenly opened in front of me and big ole metal hand wearing a studded leather bracelet grabbed me and said "YOU MINE NOW, BOY! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: The 5 bands you've listened to the longest   The 5 bands you've listened to the longest I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 4:09 pm

I'm not entirely sure on all the dates, but they're close enough.

1. Iron Maiden (Around 2004 or 2005) - with the Dance of Death album.

2. Black Sabbath (Around 2006) - with Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

For a while after then, I was content with owning around 10 CD's. I didn't listen to music much. I then bought Number of the Beast, Somewhere in Time, and Powerslave, and that rekindled my interest in metal music.

3. I then got into Judas Priest (around 2007) - with Sad Wings of Destiny.

4. Rush (around 2007 as well) with 2112. It took me a while for my Rush collection to move past just that album, but they're one of my absolute favorite bands now.

5. Pink Floyd (more recent, around 2009) with the Animals album - This was my first foray into "lighter", more progressive music. It wasn't until I discovered Yes last year that I began getting heavily into prog.

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: The 5 bands you've listened to the longest   The 5 bands you've listened to the longest I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 6:44 pm

1. Mott The Hoople- First band I ever really listened to. I'm not sure exactly what the first record I heard from them was (my parents had more than one) but I know I was around 4 when I got into them. First album(s) I lifted Mott, Greatest Hits, Drive On, Rock And Roll Queen, and the S/T from their LP's about 2 years later.
2. Iron Maiden- Another one I lifted from my parents around the same year. The album was Killers of course, anything that looked that bad ass had to be mine.
3. Led Zeppelin- My mothers favorite band, heard alot of them growing up, first album I had was IV.
4. Black Sabbath- Mom's 2nd favorite. Heard em about as much as Zeppelin. First album was Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.
5. Blue Oyster Cult- I don't remember exactly when but I know it was 5th or 6th grade or so. The vinyls were once again lifted from my parents, so I got from the S/T through Fire Of Unknown Origin all at the same time.

AC/DC is another good contender that I've been listening to for a long time, but I'm pretty sure the others predate it. My memory is a little shot haha
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: The 5 bands you've listened to the longest   The 5 bands you've listened to the longest I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 9:33 pm

Cool stories! Thanks gang.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: The 5 bands you've listened to the longest   The 5 bands you've listened to the longest I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 7:00 am

KISS - 1979
ADAM ANT - 1982
DURAN DURAN - 1982
QUIET RIOT - 1983
TWISTED SISTER - 1984
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: The 5 bands you've listened to the longest   The 5 bands you've listened to the longest I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 2:21 pm

Sammy Hagar coulda been on my list as well as ELO...
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: The 5 bands you've listened to the longest   The 5 bands you've listened to the longest I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 11:49 am

Off the top of my head I would have to say:

1. Iron Maiden -I remember hearing Killers as a kid and loved it, then heard Number of the Beast and like a dumb ass, I thought it was the same singer, but he just didn't sound the same, duh. But they have been a band I have grown up with all my life.

2. Black Sabbath -The first album I heard and owned as a kid was We Sold Our Soul For Rock and Roll, and I didn't even know it was just a hits comp, but I fell in love with them. My fav as a kid was Master of Reality and played that cassette till it died and then had to find another.

3. Ozzy Osbourne -I remember having Blizzard of Oz as a kid and loving it, I would spend all my money on Ozzy as a kid I bought every cassette I could find and played them to death.

4. Dio - I first heard as a kid Dio with Sabbath, the Mob Rules I think was the song that hooked me, and of course Rainbow in the Dark, but I had a copy of Heavy Metal the movie and then got the soundtrack cause I loved the part when they played Mob Rules in the film. But I love everything Dio has ever done, I back tracked into Rainbow and loved it, and would buy any cassette I could find, for the longest time I only owned Holy Diver and Last in Line but played those to death.

5. ?? that's tough, cause no matter who I put I feel I shoulda put something else, this spot could easily go to The Ramones, COC, BOC, AC-DC, or any number of groups I have stuck with over the years. But I think those are all good stuff to grow up with.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The 5 bands you've listened to the longest   The 5 bands you've listened to the longest I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 5:13 pm

Guns n Roses - heard the debut as a new release when I was in high school and been a fan ever since.

Aerosmith - high school again. Heard Permanent Vacation as a new release when some dude at my lunch table said "Dude, this album is ok, but listen to their stuff from the 70's. It blows this album away". He was right and I've been a fan ever since.

Megadeth - Twin brothers whom I met in high school and are still friends with to this day introduced me to Megadeth (and Maiden, Metallica, Ozzy and on and on and on) with So Far, So Good... Been a fan ever since.

Anthrax - some other delinquents I used to pal around with in high school introduced me to Anthrax and other "heavier" bands than the stuff I was listening to at the time. I think it was Among the Living. Been a fan, well, you get the idea.

The Beatles - inheriting my dad's record collection as a young boy. Amongst all the 45s and lps, the Beatles stood out above all the rest. It was mostly their early pop-stuff. Once they got all psychedelic, my dad was done with 'em. It probably wasn't until high school or college that I discovered Sgt. Pepper and the later albums.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 5 bands you've listened to the longest   The 5 bands you've listened to the longest I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The 5 bands you've listened to the longest
Page 1 of 1