The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Procol Harum

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

Procol Harum Empty
PostSubject: Procol Harum   Procol Harum I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 4:05 am

What an incredible band Procol Harum was/is! One of the first bands to really define the "progressive rock" genre, with the complex song structures and tinkering with classical music (most notably in their big hit "A Whiter Shade Of Pale"). Pianist/singer Gary Brooker and lyricist Keith Reed have always been the main musical force in the band, and although I always thought it strange to have a lyricist as a full-time band member, I certainly can't argue with the results. Their first five albums featured Robin Trower on guitar, and are all classics in their own right. After that it seems as though their records got a little less consistent, but I highly recommend "Grand Hotel" from that era.

Here's my favorite tune from them, gives me chills every time;
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Procol Harum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Procol Harum   Procol Harum I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 11:54 am

Procol Harum IS a great band and I cant help but agree that the first five albums are great albums and then they tapered off a bit from there. I'm guilty of not listening to these guys as much as I should. I never was into them until about 7 years ago when a professor friend of mine told me I needed to "look beyond 'Whiter Shade Of Pale'". Glad I did.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

Procol Harum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Procol Harum   Procol Harum I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 12:04 pm

I think Grand Hotel was actually the first lp of theirs I bought.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Procol Harum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Procol Harum   Procol Harum I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 3:08 pm

My favorite is Broken Barricades, the last album to feature Robin Trower and also the record where his influence is most prominent. You can tell that he had outgrown the constraints of his role in the group and was ready to fly solo.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Procol Harum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Procol Harum   Procol Harum I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 3:40 pm

Good point, SD, I'd heard Trower solo before I go into Procol Harum so I was definitely surprised he was the guitarist for them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Procol Harum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Procol Harum   Procol Harum I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Procol Harum
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Workshop :: Thick As A Brick :: Dr. Music-
Jump to: