The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay Empty
PostSubject: Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay   Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 3:22 pm

There was an authoring error on the 5.1 mix of the Pale Communion blu-ray.  The left front stereo channel is out of phase, this phase cancellation causes some of the low-end to be lost.  It still sounds good, but it will sound even better on the free replacement disc.  (note, there is no issue with the stereo track on the blu-ray, just the 5.1 mix)

You can also self-correct this problem by reversing your speaker cables on the left speaker (only on the speaker side, not the receiver end), that puts it back into proper phase.  It's a workaround until the replacement discs are shipped.

Roadrunner really fucked this release up.  The Spotify version of the album cuts off the first few seconds of the first track.  The LP release was botched, no records were pressed for the US market, at the moment it's only available in other countries, my pre-order from Amazon is still sitting in "Not Yet Shipped" status over a week after the release date...with no word from Roadrunner on when the LPs will be available.  And then they fucked up the authoring of the blu-ray.  

Way to go, dumbasses.  

Here's the information about the replacement blu-ray:

A note from Roadrunner Records for fans inquiring about a replacement Blu-ray disc. You can go to the URL below for directions on how to receive a new disc. You will be prompted to enter the unique code that is printed on a 4x4 card in your copy of the album. Once you have entered your code you can expect an email regarding your replacement disc as soon as September 12th. http://redemptions.warnermusic.com/opeth
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay   Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 4:14 pm

Damn!!!!

And thanks - I didn't realize it was out of phase! I won't be doing the work around - I'll just listen to the stereo mix.... I am looking forward to the fixed version to hear how it sounds! I thought the 5.1 mix sound pretty damn amazing as is!
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay   Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 4:40 pm

Most people can't tell if something is out of phase, it's not an easy thing to pick out, it's not even easy for me sometimes. Hell, many people have their speakers wired out of phase and never realize it. I went to a friend's house once and it wasn't until he played an album I'm familiar with that I said "hmmmm..something doesn't sound right" and sure enough he had the black/red backwards on one channel on the back of his receiver.

I post regularly on an audiophile board and they noticed it almost immediately (these are the the people that will rip the blu-ray into the computer almost immediately and start running tests). I don't have a surround setup right now so I bought the HDtracks download instead, because it's identical to the stereo track on the blu-ray.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay   Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 4:54 pm

Somehow I'm not surprised. I never noticed it either, but I will be getting the replacement. One thing I did notice on the 5.1 is how loud the center channel is. I really had to bring it down as to not overpower the rest. Perhaps it was the system being used, however.

Many thanks Shawn for the info!
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay   Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 5:43 pm

Very few surround systems are perfectly balanced outside the box, they really need to be tweaked to your own taste.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay   Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 11:41 pm

That blows! What a way to screw things up!

BTW, Which board do you go to? I'm always lurking around AudioKarma and vinylengine.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay   Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 2:53 pm

chewie wrote:

BTW, Which board do you go to? I'm always lurking around AudioKarma and vinylengine.

Steve Hoffman forums.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay   Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 3:25 pm

S.D. wrote:
chewie wrote:

Steve Hoffman forums.  

Oh... yeah, I've been there a few times. Those guys are ultra geeky! Smile
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay   Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 1:45 pm

So I entered my code and got the bonus tracks and digi DL; apparently they're supposed to get back to me via email about a replacement disc. Let's hope it's soon.

Also, the packaging for this album sucks. Mine is near ripped in half just from (carefully) transporting it. Of course that's all labels/distributors these days.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay   Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 12:10 am

I already have the LP and the download from HDtracks (cause I was impatient waiting for my LP to arrive)...and I'm still tempted to buy the blu-ray edition, cause when I do get a surround sound setup I'd like to have it available.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay   Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 12:38 pm

I'm actually investing in a high end Polk setup soon, primarily for mixes like these and concert blu rays.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay   Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 1:33 am

So there is a noticeable drop in the LFE in the 5.1 mix. I played it at my dad's again with the sub all the way up and when I switched over to the stereo mix the windows rattled. So now I'm really curious as to what the replacement will sound like. Plus I don't have to drop the center channel so much with the stereo mix. Not sure if that would be part of the issue or not.

On a side note, I also threw the blue ray of Pink Floyd's Pulse
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay   Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 1:35 am

On my dad's system and nearly pissed me drawers.

Fucking mobile.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay   Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 11:57 am

Phasing cancellation of low end frequencies will make the other frequencies (like the center channel) seem louder than they should.
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay   Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 12:42 pm

S.D. wrote:
Phasing cancellation of low end frequencies will make the other frequencies (like the center channel) seem louder than they should.  

I finally had a chance to listen to some of the blu-ray and cd and comapre over the weekend. It appears that their is more low end on the stereo mix and, as you mentioned, it seems the center channel is louder than the others. FIrst time I listened to the stereo mix on the blu ray - looking forward to the fixed version!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay   Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 10:35 pm

Leo have you gotten an email or anything regarding the replacement disc? My inbox still doesn't show anything.
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay   Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 8:19 am

corplhicks wrote:
Leo have you gotten an email or anything regarding the replacement disc? My inbox still doesn't show anything.

Nothing yet
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay   Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 11:35 am

I copied this conversation from another board, hope it helps:

In case it's helpful, I only recently redeemed my code. When I did not get an email about how to claim the corrected blu-ray disc, I emailed the customer support service email address at the bottom of the email with the links to the downloadable tracks, asking them how I should go about claiming. I received this a day later from WMG Store Support:

Since you have redeemed your download code after September 12, you will be part of the next wave of emails to go out with redemption codes for the replacement BluRay discs and instructions regarding how to receive them. We anticipate sending this email out shortly and you should receive it by the end of the month. If you do not see the message in your inbox at that time, please check your spam/junk folder in case the message is routed there.

We appreciate your patience.

I hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay   Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 11:39 am

Awesome Shawn thanks! I feel better now. :-)
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay   Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2014 11:26 pm

Got my email today and followed the steps, looks like it's on its way. Smile
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay   Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2014 8:45 am

corplhicks wrote:

Still nothing......... was the name/email address it came from? I am wondering if I need to contact them
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay   Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2014 12:44 pm

theJOKERiv wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Still nothing......... was the name/email address it came from? I am wondering if I need to contact them

The sender is Roadrunner Records Webstore <RoadrunnerRecords@e.wmg.com>. Subject line is "If You Are Experiencing Problems With Your Opeth 'Pale Communion' Blu-Ray." Maybe it's in your spam folder?
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay   Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 10:12 pm

Disc came in Sat. That was fast. Not sure when I'm gonna get a chance to hear it, I've been so goddamn busy (haven't even had a chance to hook up the surround).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay   Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Replacement blu-ray disc for Pale Communion...for Leo & Shay
Page 1 of 1