The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Old School Funk 'n' Soul

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Old School Funk 'n' Soul Empty
PostSubject: Old School Funk 'n' Soul   Old School Funk 'n' Soul I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 9:42 pm

Anyone like funk / soul / old R&B?

I love bands such as..........

1. Ohio Players
2. Earth Wind & Fire
3. Isley Brothers
4. The Commodores

etc etc

I think they were the natural progression from jazz into popular music. Maybe I'm wrong.....

Anyone?

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Old School Funk 'n' Soul   Old School Funk 'n' Soul I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 12:55 am

Funk/Fusion/Psychedlia/Prog...all that stuff pretty much came out about the same time. When you think about it, there was never a more important period of time in music...as pretty much everything we listen to now had it's genesis during that era.

As for funk, hell yeah! Now, I've spent more time listening to soul jazz (basically an instrumental offshoot of funk & jazz combined) than straight up funk bands...but I love all this stuff.

My favorites from this era tend to be the solo artists: James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, Al Green, etc. I also really like the New Orleans variety of funk brought on by bands like "The Meters". Sly & The Family Stone is another band that I didn't "get" when i was a kid, but hearing it now, it's brilliant.
Back to top Go down
Stender
Delicious Vomit
Stender

PostSubject: Re: Old School Funk 'n' Soul   Old School Funk 'n' Soul I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 7:40 pm

Curtis mayfield is the ultimate shit.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Old School Funk 'n' Soul   Old School Funk 'n' Soul I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 8:49 am

Yeah man good shit indeed! I've been on a Barry White kick lately but I also like:

Kool & The Gang
Earth, Wind & Fire
Ohio Players
The Brothers Johnson
Bill Withers
Brenton Wood
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes
Average White Band
Slave
Mandrill
Bill Clinton
Funkadelic
Wilson Pickett
Booker T. & The MG's
B.T. Express
The Commodores
The Stylistics
The Spinners
Lou Rawls
The Isley Bros
The Chi-Lites
The Staple Singers
Al Green
ZZ Hill
Teddy Pendergrass
Al Wilson
George McCrae
The Four Tops
Smokey Robinson
The Temptations
El Chicano

I could go on and on...
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Old School Funk 'n' Soul   Old School Funk 'n' Soul I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 6:21 pm

Great cover, better than the original.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Old School Funk 'n' Soul   Old School Funk 'n' Soul I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 7:06 pm

Graham Central Station - Earthquake (Larry Graham's bass intro to this tune is one of my favorites...especially once the distortion kicks in).

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Old School Funk 'n' Soul   Old School Funk 'n' Soul I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 3:05 pm

That was bad ass. I'm gonna get some of this stuff.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Old School Funk 'n' Soul   Old School Funk 'n' Soul I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 6:58 pm

Earth Wind And Fire(I have their first two WB albums, as well as, the first two Columbia ones and the boxset)

The Temptations (I really like their psych period. There's a 2 disc comp that's called Psychedelic Soul that gathers that stuff up)

I've been really looking for prog, but I have not had much success.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Old School Funk 'n' Soul   Old School Funk 'n' Soul I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 12:18 am

I've always loved Vanity, some killer dangerous dirty sounding tracks.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Old School Funk 'n' Soul   Old School Funk 'n' Soul I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 10:57 am

DC just doesn't want us to know that he's actually Morris Day...masquerading as a burnout. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Old School Funk 'n' Soul   Old School Funk 'n' Soul I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 11:39 am

Detuned wrote:
DC just doesn't want us to know that he's actually Morris Day...masquerading as a burnout. Twisted Evil

There he is pimpin it out........
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Old School Funk 'n' Soul   Old School Funk 'n' Soul I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 9:34 pm

Oh yeah, I friggin' LOVE Afro Funk.

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Old School Funk 'n' Soul   Old School Funk 'n' Soul I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Detuned wrote:

affraid AHH!!! how did you know?! I've gotta fire that publicist.

Vanity (who has an AWESOME voice), Prince, & Morris Day have always been an area I have a huge softspot for, go figure. I just wish I could find an MP3 of that demo I posted. It's ashame she left the Prince camp and fell into all the addiction, she could've rivaled Madonna. Apollonia was a shitty replacement.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Old School Funk 'n' Soul   Old School Funk 'n' Soul I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 2:33 pm

Isn't Vanity a preacher now?

I am a HUGE Prince fan, especially from his debut, 'For You' to 'Purple Rain' and his symbol years.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Old School Funk 'n' Soul   Old School Funk 'n' Soul I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 10:14 pm

Old School Funk 'n' Soul 8665225b9da0695f62362110.L._AA300_

I just did a vinyl transfer for a friend of mine, he had an early pressing, it sounded great. Reminded me what a killer band this was and how impossible they were to pin down to one style of music. That's why I love them so much.

Plus they were funky as HELL.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Old School Funk 'n' Soul   Old School Funk 'n' Soul I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 2:09 pm

War was a great band for a period of time...D, you ever listen to 'Platinum Jazz'? Killer instrumentals on that one.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Old School Funk 'n' Soul   Old School Funk 'n' Soul I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 7:20 pm

Akeldama wrote:
Isn't Vanity a preacher now?

I am a HUGE Prince fan, especially from his debut, 'For You' to 'Purple Rain' and his symbol years.

Yeah, she had a whole lifestyle change once she finally kicked coke. She shuns her Vanity years now, and went back to her government name. More power to her, but I'd never buy a Vanity gospel record.

My favorite era of Prince is from Dirty Mind to The Black album.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Old School Funk 'n' Soul   Old School Funk 'n' Soul I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 2:28 pm

DC, what is it about the stuff from that era in particular that you dig so much? Parade, Graffiti Bridge and Sign O' The Times are some of my least fave along with the mostly horrible Lovesexy and The Rainbow Children.

DC, have you checked out his instrumental Jazz albums?
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Old School Funk 'n' Soul   Old School Funk 'n' Soul I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 3:11 pm

Akeldama wrote:
War was a great band for a period of time...D, you ever listen to 'Platinum Jazz'? Killer instrumentals on that one.

So far I only have 4 albums by them, I'm still kind of "entranced" by those at the moment, but I'll definitely be investigating more of their stuff soon.

I even like a couple of their later "disco-funk" tracks, I think the song "Galaxy" is fuckin' rad.

My friend has a bunch of old Ohio Players albums on vinyl, I just pulled those out of the closet and plan on spinning them over the weekend.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Old School Funk 'n' Soul   Old School Funk 'n' Soul I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 2:13 pm

I like Galaxy and even Cinco De Mayo but when you get to songs like Peace Sign I lose interest.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Old School Funk 'n' Soul   Old School Funk 'n' Soul I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 2:10 am

Akeldama wrote:
DC, what is it about the stuff from that era in particular that you dig so much? Parade, Graffiti Bridge and Sign O' The Times are some of my least fave along with the mostly horrible Lovesexy and The Rainbow Children.

Well, I named the era based on recording date as opposed to release so Graffiti Bridge and Lovesexy actually come after that. As far as Parade goes, I actually forgot that one even existed til you mentioned it. Around The World In A Day I only like scattered songs from, same with Sign O The Times. The earlier ones though, he was just ON when he was writing, it might be pop but it's funky, powerful and all around memorable. The Black Album was a return to that style, just considerably darker which is why I dig it.

I had no idea he had any instrumental jazz albums.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Old School Funk 'n' Soul   Old School Funk 'n' Soul I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 2:16 pm

DeathCult wrote:
Akeldama wrote:

Well, I named the era based on recording date as opposed to release so Graffiti Bridge and Lovesexy actually come after that. As far as Parade goes, I actually forgot that one even existed til you mentioned it. Around The World In A Day I only like scattered songs from, same with Sign O The Times. The earlier ones though, he was just ON when he was writing, it might be pop but it's funky, powerful and all around memorable. The Black Album was a return to that style, just considerably darker which is why I dig it.

I had no idea he had any instrumental jazz albums.

Ah recording date...I shoulda guessed that. Yes, The Black Album is bad ass, do you like the symbol years stuff?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old School Funk 'n' Soul   Old School Funk 'n' Soul I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Old School Funk 'n' Soul
Page 1 of 1