The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Alice Cooper

Go down 
+5
DeathCult
Akeldama
manny
S.D.
Shawn
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

Alice Cooper - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper   Alice Cooper - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 4:07 pm

Detuned wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
My Cooper collection is kinda spotty. I'm slowly gathering up most of his 70's output and I have everything post-Last Temptation. I'm pretty much skipping most of the 80's and early 90's stuff. Alice kinda lost his way in the 80's as far as I'm concerned.

I would recommend getting "Raise Your Fist And Yell", that's his most "metal" album of the 80's.

Eh, maybe if I found it cheap. "Metal Alice" is ok, but I prefer "hard rock Alice". I even like his late 60's psychadelia. I have the Life & Crimes box set and I can honeslty say that practically all of his work that I've heard from the early to late 80's just doesn't do anything for me. The early new-wavey stuff is just *yuck* and the later 80's is over-produced slick radio poop. Kane Roberts is laughable.

Not entirely Coop's fault. I think allot of big acts from the 70's lost their way in the 80's. Times changed and they tried to fit in. Sometimes it worked, most times it didn't. Synths, outside writers, slick production, etc. did more harm that good in the long run. Cheap Trick, Ted Nugent and Alice are 3 that come to mind almost immediately. Aerosmith kinda did too, but they were too fucked up to notice.

The same cycle repeated when big 80's bands tried to "grunge it up" as we moved into the 90's. It's all one big circle. You ride out the trends and eventually come back to the way it all began.
Back to top Go down
Shawn

Shawn

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper   Alice Cooper - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 4:34 pm

I prefer the non-Hair Metal AC myself...

I picked up a copy Thursday of Love It To Death at Walmart for $5 (after regretting my trading off of the one I had before)...
Back to top Go down
Shawn

Shawn

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper   Alice Cooper - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 1:00 pm

Went to a different Walmart at lunch and found School's Out... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper   Alice Cooper - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 8:29 pm

Shawn wrote:
I prefer the non-Hair Metal AC myself...

I picked up a copy Thursday of Love It To Death at Walmart for $5 (after regretting my trading off of the one I had before)...

I love Alice in all forms, but I'm in agreement here. While I don't hate the Desmond Child Pure evil influenced material, for every good song on those theres 3 or 4 that are just bad. The classic era (71-76) is still my favorite, but those early 80's records have alot of good moments on them, they get passed over too much.
Back to top Go down
Shawn

Shawn

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper   Alice Cooper - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 8:14 pm

I did really like The Eyes Of Alice Cooper...lots of good stuff on there. "The Song That Didn't Rhyme" is killer...
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper   Alice Cooper - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 2:05 pm

Eyes is a great album altogether...
Back to top Go down
Shawn

Shawn

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper   Alice Cooper - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 10:13 am

Snagged Killer off of Ebay...can't wait!
Back to top Go down
manny

manny

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper   Alice Cooper - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 11:27 am

Shawn wrote:
Snagged Killer off of Ebay...can't wait!

One of my favorite Cooper platters and surprising number of classics on that album that still get radio play considering the album is not even 45 minutes long
Back to top Go down
Shawn

Shawn

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper   Alice Cooper - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 1:42 pm

A lot of old, classic albums like that are short...
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper   Alice Cooper - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 1:49 pm

Shawn wrote:

Now you have bloated 80min+ albums where they could have left off half the stuff. You know what this means...... a new topic: Great Classic albums under ????? scratch
Back to top Go down
Shawn

Shawn

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper   Alice Cooper - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 2:03 pm

chewie wrote:
Shawn wrote:

Now you have bloated 80min+ albums where they could have left off half the stuff. You know what this means...... a new topic: Great Classic albums under ????? scratch

Yeah, a lot of that happened with the advent of the CD format...you could suddenly fit 74-80 minutes on a single CD and I remember bands saying things like "we're gonna load it down with songs for the fans...it's going to cost them the same amount of money if it's 10 or 15 songs, so we're going to give them more for their money"...which is a nice gesture, but it ended up helping to diminish the effect of an album. What used to be a 30-45 minute listening experience became a 1 hour and 20 minute marathon...
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper   Alice Cooper - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 8:28 pm

Shawn wrote:
chewie wrote:
Shawn wrote:

Yeah, a lot of that happened with the advent of the CD format...you could suddenly fit 74-80 minutes on a single CD and I remember bands saying things like "we're gonna load it down with songs for the fans...it's going to cost them the same amount of money if it's 10 or 15 songs, so we're going to give them more for their money"...which is a nice gesture, but it ended up helping to diminish the effect of an album. What used to be a 30-45 minute listening experience became a 1 hour and 20 minute marathon...

For a total backfire and shit heap conclusion to said idea, just see: Kiss Hot In The Shade

However, I LOVE Killer, what a perfect album. Halo Of Flies is one of their best tracks
Back to top Go down
Shawn

Shawn

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper   Alice Cooper - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 10:46 am

Snagged Billion Dollar Babies at the used store on Friday! Sweet!!

Now I have:

Love It To Death
Killer
School's Out
Billion Dollar Babies
Mascara & Monsters

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Shawn

Shawn

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper   Alice Cooper - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 7:23 am

Saw a copy of Flush The Fashion at the used store yesterday, but it was waterdamaged all to hell...why would they even buy that from someone??
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper   Alice Cooper - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 11:19 am

There is quite a selection of Cooper records at Amoeba, when the finances loosen up I'll have to start grabbing some vinyl.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper   Alice Cooper - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 11:42 am

Shawn wrote:
Snagged Billion Dollar Babies at the used store on Friday! Sweet!!

Now I have:

Love It To Death
Killer
School's Out
Billion Dollar Babies
Mascara & Monsters

What a Face

Did you get the "regular" version of Billion Dollar Babies or the expanded version with all the bonus stuff? I still need that one too and I'm debating which version to get. I'm leaning towards the original, just to keep consistant with my other 70's Alice discs. Allot of times that bonus material (demos and live material) doesn't hold up. It's cool for the first spin or 2, but gets boring to me pretty quick.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper   Alice Cooper - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 11:47 am

If I may interject....the Deluxe Edition of BDB is exactly how you just described it, MG. It has a cool live show, but not something anyone would play very often.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper   Alice Cooper - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 11:50 am

unless you're a nut like me who actually prefers live recordings.
Back to top Go down
manny

manny

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper   Alice Cooper - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 12:09 pm

I love the bonus live disc on Billion Dollar Babies, but outside a few little odds and ends, Alice and the boys don't really change the arrangements all to often, and play the songs very much straight forward
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper   Alice Cooper - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 12:13 pm

They were more jam oriented earlier weren't they?
Back to top Go down
manny

manny

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper   Alice Cooper - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 12:20 pm

Shawn D. wrote:

Yes they were but at this point the stage show became central to their live show, so really no room to improvise when your vocalist is getting beheaded on a nightly basis
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper   Alice Cooper - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 12:24 pm

manny wrote:
Shawn D. wrote:

Yes they were but at this point the stage show became central to their live show, so really no room to improvise when your vocalist is getting beheaded on a nightly basis

But the Hunter/Wagner duel soloing is always awesome to hear/see. "Devil's Food" from the Welcome To My Nightmare movie is outstanding!
Back to top Go down
manny

manny

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper   Alice Cooper - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 12:39 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
manny wrote:
Shawn D. wrote:

But the Hunter/Wagner duel soloing is always awesome to hear/see. "Devil's Food" from the Welcome To My Nightmare movie is outstanding!

Very true, at this time Alice was a solo artist, who was secure enough and smart enough to share the spotlight with these two axe men who gave up a position in Lou Reed's band to play with Alice
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper   Alice Cooper - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 12:50 pm

The whole "stage set" thing was what changed Pink Floyd as well, they were very jam oriented but soon it became so choreographed that there was no room left for that.

I really need to get some Alice Cooper back in my collection, I only have Welcome To My Nightmare currently.
Back to top Go down
Shawn

Shawn

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper   Alice Cooper - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 2:00 pm

It's the regular single-disc version...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper   Alice Cooper - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alice Cooper
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Workshop :: Thick As A Brick :: Dr. Music-
Jump to: