The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Return To Forever

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Return To Forever Empty
PostSubject: Return To Forever   Return To Forever I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 4:19 pm

I've been jamming these guys a lot since yesterday so tell me your thoughts on this group. RTF was active from 1972 to 1977 primarily but have reformed for a few performances here and there and went through quite a few line up changes but featured Chick Corea, Al Di Meola, Stanley Clarke and Lenny White, the classic line-up of the band. The band's history is quite interesting but I won't go into it much. They started out with Chick Corea's album 'Return To Forever' which also acted as the debut of the group by the same name and started out as a Latin-oriented outfit before becoming more of a Jazz-Rock outfit from '73-'76 primarily due to Corea's desire to reach more people primarily due to his acceptance of Scientology before returning somewhat to their earlier style for their final studio album 'Musicmagic' in 1977. I have all their studio efforts.

Studio Discography:

Return To Forever (1972)
Light As A Feather (1972)
Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy (1973)
Where Have I Known You Before (1974)
No Mystery (1975)
Romantic Warrior (1976)
Music Magic (1977)
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Return To Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Return To Forever   Return To Forever I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 6:05 pm

I've never been much of a DiMeola fan, so I haven't dug too deeply into RTF's albums. I have the first 2 on your list, but haven't played them in quite awhile.

I do have a few of Chick's solo albums, my favorite is the late 60's Blue Note album called "Now He Sings, Now He Sobs".

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Return To Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Return To Forever   Return To Forever I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 7:32 pm

I'm not much for Di Meola either but there is no denying his great playing on the three albums he's on ('74, '75 & '76). On his first album with RTF he's not as out there and his more subdued appproach is good. In fact, my fave RTF albums are the one's he plays on but the other albums are good too. I recommend at least listening to all the RTF albums all the way through once.

I have a few Chick Corea albums including a box set.
Back to top Go down
Stender
Delicious Vomit
Stender

Return To Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Return To Forever   Return To Forever I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 4:22 pm

First heard them in the 8th grade, I loved romantic warrior.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Return To Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Return To Forever   Return To Forever I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Return To Forever
Page 1 of 1