The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pink Floyd

Go down 
+5
manny
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
DeathCult
S.D.
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Pink Floyd   Pink Floyd I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 2:15 am

Pink Floyd Pink_floyd_001
Bought time for a Pink Floyd thread I say!!!!!

I first discovered Floyd in 1979 while listening to an evening rock radio show from Kansas City. They DJ played Time & Wish You Were Here back to back and I was hooked. Not long afterwards I picked up Dark Side and then purchased The Wall...that began a decade long obsession with Floyd. After a long hiatus I've started listening to them again and I had forgotten how much I dig their music.

While I might not be as thrilled with The Wall anymore, all the albums prior to that are still favorites. Particularly Meddle which I consider to be a masterpiece...and Obscured By Clouds which is one of the most underrated.

Anyway, what say you guys? Which one's Pink?
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Pink Floyd I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 11:52 am

Love Pink Floyd. I might not listen to them a whole lot anymore, but Meddle and Wish You Were Here are still my two favorites. Obscured by Clouds and More are both EXCELLENT albums that get overlooked alot from their early career as well.

However, Id have to say the definitive recording by the Floyd has to be Live At Pompeii, they never sounded better, and there's no egos to get in the damn way Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Pink Floyd I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 5:45 pm

I'm one of the trendies who only owns 2 Pink Floyd discs. Can you guess which ones they are? Of course you can. "The Wall" and "Dark Side of the Moon." Y'know, the ones everybody owns.

So I have never been more than a casual fan at best, but I recently caught a couple of documentaries about early Floyd on VH1 Classic (one was called "Which One's Pink?" and the other was the "Classic Albums" entry on "Dark Side") and they got me thinkin' how I should really investigate their stuff beyond those two albums one of these fine days.

I remember back in my high school days, going to a midnight show of the "Wall" movie while drunk/stoned outta my frickin gourd. That was practically a religious experience!!

I also saw a pretty bad-ass "Laser Floyd" show at the Hayden Planetarium in NYC many years ago, which was a lot of fun. Of course, various intoxicants were involved that evening as well.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Pink Floyd I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 8:34 pm

Yo, here's a few suggestions on what Floyd to get next...

1. Wish You Were Here
2. Meddle
3. Animals
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Pink Floyd I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 11:00 am

These guys were a late discovery for me. Way back when I was really getting into new music, the guys I hung with were all anti-Floyd. "Buncha dirty hippies, crappy music, etc." So instead of actually listening to their music and making up my own mind, I went along with peer pressure and just assumed they sucked.

Many moons later, I have since changed my opinion of the band and their music. I'm very slowly acquiring the majority of their discography.
Back to top Go down
manny

manny

Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Pink Floyd I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 7:35 pm

I have always been a huge Pink Floyd fan and maybe because I am into lyrics, and know some of the backround behind 'The Wall" I am not sick of this album.

Roger Waters IMO is one of the greatest songwriters in rock history, and also one of the most thought provoking.

I love all eras of Pink Floyd but IMO the 1971-1983 can not be beat, they were at the peak of their performing powers and as muses and guides to Roger Waters songs.

This is not to discount or take away from David Gilmour who co wrote a share of classics with Roger Waters, when they went their separte ways in 1984 it was a sad day for rock history. Both managed to make good music apart but their was something special about the Waters/Gilmour chemistry.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Pink Floyd I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 10:17 am

good post Manny. I agree, they really need each other to be 100% successful. Waters provides Gilmour with some needed edge...and Gilmour gives him that great sense of melody.

Comfortably Numb is probably the best evidence of this, with Waters creepy introduction giving way to the gorgeous and lyrical chorus section sung by Gilmour.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Pink Floyd I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 12:27 pm

Scored another Floyd album this weekend. Looked in the "just-in" bin at the used shop on Saturday and found a copy of Animals for $7 bucks. Never heard a note from it, but it's been on the want-list for awhile now. From what I've gathered it's one of their better "no radio hits" albums.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Pink Floyd I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 12:31 pm

Animals is actually a masterpiece, in my top 5 Floyd albums. That one might take a little while to "grow on you", but it's worth the effort.

Plus, since you've been listening to The Incident recently you'll hear the influences behind the song Time Flies on Animals (Time Flies uses the basic chord progression from Dogs, plus a variation of the ending riff from Sheep).
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Pink Floyd I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 11:33 pm

I love Pink Floyd, I've been a fan practically since birth since they were always on the turntable when I was growing up. My faves are Wish You Were Here, Obscured By Clouds & Meddle, but I like them all except the Syd Barrett stuff. I own them but just to complete the collection.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Pink Floyd I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 11:36 pm

WELCOME!!!!

Pink Floyd Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Pink Floyd I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 11:42 pm

Thanks D, I love what you've done to the place!
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Pink Floyd I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 2:17 pm

So what does everyone think of The Division Bell? I think it's an underrated album for sure, Gilmour takes this album in different places but it seems so be on the fringes of melancholy most of the time but his guitar work is stellar! Fave tracks are Keep Talking, Marooned & Coming Back To Life. I do miss Roger's cynicism and kick ass bass playing though.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Pink Floyd I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 3:22 pm

I run a little hot and cold on that album. On the one hand there are some great tracks, but it seems to try just a little TOO hard to sound like a "Floyd album". Momentary Lapse seemed like a more organic album.

Keep Talking, Cluster One, Take It Back & What Do You Want From Me are my favorite tracks.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Pink Floyd I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 5:17 pm

I must say that Cluster One is a good tune and What Do You Want From Me is one of my least faves on the album and the reason being is that is the one song I feel they do try to hard to sound like The Pink Floyd.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Pink Floyd I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 7:29 pm

akeldama wrote:
I must say that Cluster One is a good tune and What Do You Want From Me is one of my least faves on the album and the reason being is that is the one song I feel they do try to hard to sound like The Pink Floyd.

I actually like that tune because it sounds authentically pissed off enough to me. psycho killer!
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Pink Floyd I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 1:01 pm

Today feels like a Floyd day...it's cold, cloudy and rainy here...so I'm starting off the morning with Dark Side Of The Moon.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Pink Floyd I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 3:13 pm

Nice! I went with More.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Pink Floyd I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 10:25 pm

I was just listening to Cymbaline and it has a David Bowie feel to it IMO.
Back to top Go down
manny

manny

Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Pink Floyd I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 6:55 pm

'The Divison Bell' IMO is a better album than 'Momentary Lapse of Reason' Gilmour had nothing to prove to either his fans or his critics, and the songs reflect and artist willing to stretch his creative muscles sort of speak.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Pink Floyd I_icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 10:26 pm

I tried to listen to "Pulse" recently...and while it's pulled off flawlessly...it feels a little too safe. The band's lightshow was so choreographed that it really left them bottled into hitting all the cues on time...thus throwing any possibility of improvisation out the window.

I much prefer listening to the bootlegs from the Wish You Were Here tour, they were fucking ON during that era.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Pink Floyd I_icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 6:00 pm

My favorite "live" Floyd will always be Pompeii.
Back to top Go down
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Pink Floyd I_icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 10:20 pm

Pink Floyd are pretty damn good. If you ask me, they've never released an album that can be truly called 'bad'. Sure, their early material is pretty much drug-induced bullcrap and their later material is filled with pretentious fluff, but it's all pulled off spectacularly and with top notch musicianship.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Pink Floyd I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2010 3:14 pm

Yesterday I finally jammed the first two Floyd all the way through for the first time in a long ass time and they're not as bad as I used to think, I like the instruments so I made a playlist of all the Floyd instrumentals. I'm also getting three "new" Floyd this week sometime, one is called 'The Complete Zabriskie Point Sessions' one called 'Pinkie Milkie' and another one I can't remember the name of off the top of my head right now.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Pink Floyd I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 5:17 am

Pulled out "The Wall" for the first time in ages. Sounded really good to me tonight...I've had a love/hate/love, etc relationship with this album over the years. What grabbed me tonight are the wonderful arrangements (check out the string & brass sections during "Nobody Home").

It can be a hard album to listen to depending on my mood, sometimes it's just a little too dark for my already dark overall mood. But other times it's a cathartic listen. I'm not nearly as emotionally fucked up as Roger Waters, so that's the bonus.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Pink Floyd I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pink Floyd
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next