The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The CD is 30 Years Old Today

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

The CD is 30 Years Old Today Empty
PostSubject: The CD is 30 Years Old Today   The CD is 30 Years Old Today I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 9:26 am

Saw this in today's paper, thought it was interesting... The Compact Disc is 30 years old today. The first commercially available CDs went on sale (in Germany, apparently) on this date in 1982.

A Look Back: Mass production, sale of CDs began in 1982

It's fast becoming a way of dating oneself to mentione that one remembers the use of CDs. But when the term "compact disc" was first used in the '70s to refer to prototypes developed by Philips and Sony, it had massive potential. By 1981's Sony's CD products were being displayed at industry shows.
The CD is 30 Years Old Today Bild-photo-1982-cd-disc_132879169
On August 17, 1982, mass production of CDs began. The first commercial CD released was Billy Joel's "52nd Street." The format remained the dominant storage device until the turn of this century.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: The CD is 30 Years Old Today   The CD is 30 Years Old Today I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 9:48 am

Ya know, I never knew that. I remember CDs becoming the in thing where I'm from in the early 90s or so.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The CD is 30 Years Old Today   The CD is 30 Years Old Today I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 10:45 am

I saw a CD player for the first time in a store (Sears) in '83, maybe early '84... it was a big boxy one kinda like the one in the photo above... if memory serves the price was something like $600 and of course, the only discs available at the time were for mega-stars like Billy Joel, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen, Elton John, etc.

I distinctly remember my brother and I looking briefly at the store display, seeing how expensive it was, and saying "Pffft, forget it. These things will never catch on." and then we probably bought some cassette tapes. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: The CD is 30 Years Old Today   The CD is 30 Years Old Today I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 12:07 pm

I've seen pictures of that Sony one on Audio forums. It has a cool flip out door like a cassette. I also learned that a lot of the Philips cd players were branded as Magnavox in the US.

Phillips:
The CD is 30 Years Old Today CD_player-580-90

Magnavox:
The CD is 30 Years Old Today 0

I still have the first cd player I bought:
The CD is 30 Years Old Today Leb809a
A Sony CDP-C20 that still works, but has a bit of a rumble when it changes discs.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: The CD is 30 Years Old Today   The CD is 30 Years Old Today I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 12:53 pm

I got my first CD player in 1987.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The CD is 30 Years Old Today   The CD is 30 Years Old Today I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The CD is 30 Years Old Today
Page 1 of 1