The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Best Comic Books EVER

Go down 
+5
manny
gershom
Akeldama
Cruel Angel
Fat Freddy
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Comic Books EVER   Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 2:32 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

ATTACK THE BLOCK. Rip-roaring and hilarious sci-fi action/comedy about a gang of teenage hoodlums in South London battling an alien invasion of their "block". Funny as hell, gory, no holds barred fun.

It gets my highest recommendation.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Best Comic Books EVER   Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 6:08 pm

S.D. wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

ATTACK THE BLOCK. Rip-roaring and hilarious sci-fi action/comedy about a gang of teenage hoodlums in South London battling an alien invasion of their "block". Funny as hell, gory, no holds barred fun.

It gets my highest recommendation.

Sounds like the kinda crap I'm into, I'll have to check this out, plus it's from the dudes that made Shawn of the Dead I noticed so that's promising.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Best Comic Books EVER   Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 8:56 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Wolverine Annual 99
Annuals are some of my favorites to pick up cause they are usually one shot stories that don't have to follow the current story lines going on in the regular series, and this one is one of my faves.

Story goes, Wolverine is hanging out at some cheesy book store waiting to get an autograph from a writer of werewolf stories for Kitty a fellow X-team member. When upon further sniffing he notices the writer really is a werewolf himself, so he decides to follow the dude home, where he picks up the scent of an old chum, Deadpool on the roof of the wolfmans home. Turns out Deadpool has been hired to kill the writer, and gets himself and Wolvie into the cross fire of some other werewolf who all so wants the writer dead. Wolvie wants to kick Deadpools ass, but the new wolfman is making that a problem, and Deadpool doesn't want the new wolfman to kill the writer wolfman, cause that's his job, and he doesn't want to lose out on the money, bummer right? So to shorten the story, alot of fighting and claw slashing and sword action goes on till the appearance of a wolf pack that stops the crazed wolf that Wolvie and Deadpool are fighting, turns out they are the ones who hired Deadpool in the first place to kill a former pack member who is writing girlie ass novels about the pack for the world to enjoy, reason enough for death in the packs eyes. So they let the writer go with the stipulation he never writes another book, they gather up there comrade who suffered an ass kicking at the hands of Wolverine and Deadpool and the pack disappears, leaving Deadpool all sad cause he never got paid, and Wolveine knocks the shit out of Deadpool, cause he owed him an ass kicking from a long time ago, then the two of them go out to buy some beers.
All in all its a great story with some great humor, and action. As a bounus there is all so a short story called "Beer Run" where Wolvie is playing poker with Nick Fury, Capt. America, the Thing and She Hulk, and they run out of beer, so being that wolvie sucks at poker he goes on a beer run from hell where he gets Furys car jacked, his beer stolen by a punk ass kid, fights off a pack of ninjas, who then summon up a magical dragon to defend them, after all this sensless action, he finally get the beer back and gets back to the pad where everyone has already passed out, so he kicks back watching TV while drinking the beer himself. Nuf' said.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Best Comic Books EVER   Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 2:06 pm

Wow, I'd totally forgotten about this thread I started. Very Happy Cool to see you pickin' up my slack, Gersh... I will have to pull out my box of "keepers" sometime soon and dig around for some stuff to post here again.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Best Comic Books EVER   Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 2:17 pm

That sounds like a bad ass comic, I'd love to see the artwork.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Best Comic Books EVER   Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 9:02 pm

Yeah Fredster I'd like to see what kinda whack job comics you are into man.

Too true man, this comic does have some great artwork, really dig the short story it's done by Frezzato who usually does stuff in Heavy Metal, awesome artist, I really dig his stuff.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Best Comic Books EVER   Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 10:34 pm

gershom wrote:

I could write pages 'n' pages about how much I love weird crap like "Ralph Snart Adventures" and "Cherry Poptart." Very Happy
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Best Comic Books EVER   Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 8:42 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
gershom wrote:

I could write pages 'n' pages about how much I love weird crap like "Ralph Snart Adventures" and "Cherry Poptart." Very Happy

Never heard of "Ralph Snart" but looked it up, looks like some twisted toons man, pretty interesting stuff, I've seen "Cherry Poptart" before, always thought it was an Archies comic for grown ups, I've only seen like one full issue ever funny stuff fer sure.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Best Comic Books EVER   Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 8:00 am

My wife and I really got into this show when it came out on AMC and it's one great show if you like this type of dead will rise and eat your face kind of stuff. I knew the show was loosely based on the graphic novel of the same name, but up until recently I had never more then thumbed my way through an issue here or there just to check out the artwork, but recently I've come into possession of this awesome series and have been hooked from issue 1 and am currently 36 issues into the series and the stories of survival and gore just keep getting better. I could go through and pick specific issues that were just bad ass, but this is one that needs to be read in it's entirety to grasp the genius behind it. I would highly recommend this comic to any one for sure.

Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Best Comic Books EVER   Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 8:47 am

My wife is Walking Dead obsessed. So I got her the first comic compendium and she loved it.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Best Comic Books EVER   Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 11:59 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
My wife is Walking Dead obsessed. So I got her the first comic compendium and she loved it.

That's cool man, my wife is hooked on the comic too, and she has read ahead of where I'm currently reading, and since women like to talk about everything, I keep having to tell her not to tell me what happens next, it's like watching a movie with someone who has seen the flick a hundred times and it's only your first time, and they keep saying shit like "oh wait till you see what happens now" and I just want to tell them to shut up and let me watch the movie, it's kinda like that, and she didn't understand why I was upset that she passed me up in the reading department. Oh well, thus is the life us married dumb asses have chosen for ourselves. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Best Comic Books EVER   Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 10:25 pm

Totally been reading through a torrent of the original 1960 Amazing Spiderman, damn that's some cheesy comic lines, but still cool for the time. Great stuff, Stan is still the man Lee. Nuff said.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Best Comic Books EVER   Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 10:32 pm

^^ Lee & Ditko's original run on Amazing Spider-Man is golden.

On a somewhat related note, I just read a GREAT book about Marvel called "Marvel Comics: The Untold Story" and wow, I had no idea what a cut-throat business the comics industry is behind the scenes. For years 'n' years I would read Marvel's "Bullpen Bulletins" news pages with "Stan's Soapbox" making it seem like Marvel was just this big wacky club house where people had fun all the time, but behind the scenes the company was totally dysfunctional, owners came and went, and the writers and artists were constantly getting screwed over left and right. Jack Kirby went to his grave hating Stan Lee's guts.

Makes me glad I never pursued a career in the comics biz (as was my dream when I was a dorky teenager) cuz I probably would've gotten eaten alive.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Best Comic Books EVER   Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 12:30 am

Sounds crazy I'll have to check that out, I always wondered why Steve Ditko stopped working on Spider-man.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Best Comic Books EVER   Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 10:41 pm

gershom wrote:
Sounds crazy I'll have to check that out, I always wondered why Steve Ditko stopped working on Spider-man.

From what I gather, Steve Ditko and Jack Kirby eventually got sick of Stan Lee's insistence that HE created the Marvel Universe, totally discounting the artists' input in the creation of characters.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Best Comic Books EVER   Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 11:47 pm

That makes sense Marvel has gone through a bunch of great artists and lost out on some great talent.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Best Comic Books EVER   Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 12:57 pm

A four part story about one of the X-Men's most interesting of characters, Kurt Wagner the Nightcrawler, a mutant with the ability to teleport him self, who is shunned by humanity not only for being a mutant but a visibly unhuman looking mutant. Kurt is known as a gypsy acrobat and a man of faith, in this comic series he is in New York at a church working on his priesthood and crosses paths with a run away girl who is a slave. He gets involved in a circle of bad people smuggling immigrants from Thailand, some sold as slaves to the rich some used as homeless beggars to make money for there keepers, and some sold to brothels as prostitutes, when Nightcrawler finds out about all this he makes it his duty to track down the leader of this terrible human trafficking going on. He then gets into some serious fights trying to track down the main man while battling himself on his emotions and his faith and his hero training, how to balance a need for vengeance, justice and faith. All put together in a really good story that deals with a real problem in the real world, with a super hero thrown in the mix, no super villains just the villainy of man against his fellow man, and that is much worse.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Best Comic Books EVER   Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 9:59 pm

Re read this 5 part series some time back, and damn I forgot how good this was. 
Serial killer "Evil" Ernest Fairchild, a product of an abusive family is an inmate in a mental institution who in his imagination world is a mass murderer who makes a mental connection with Lady Death, from the realm of the dead.  He falls in love with her and wants to be with her, but can't.  Meanwhile his doctor, Dr. Price, wants Ernie to be put down because he is too dangerous to rehabilitate, too dangerous to release on society, but a politician named Stone is backing a doctor who has created a machine called Nerotech, it is supposed to go into the lunatics mind and cure him of all his evil thoughts and make him a normal human being.  But Dr. Price comes a gunning for Ernie's life, and is stopped and locked up himself in the institution, as Dr. Mary Young proceeds with the experimental procedure, Lady Death meanwhile makes a pact with Ernie, that she will give him power beyond belief and love him back if he creates "Megadeath" on the world, destroy everything, and he agrees.  The Nerotech breaks down the wall between our realm and the realm of death, and it kills Ernie, fries the shit out of him.  He then comes back to life an animated corpse empowered by Lady Death, Evil Ernie then lives out his fantasies by committing mass murder as he breaks out of the institution and goes on a killing spree in town, thing is that when Evil Ernie kills someone, they don't stay dead, the body is reanimated by Ernie and follows his sick and twisted commands to kill and destroy.  Meanwhile the politician Stone goes into hiding to get away from Evil Ernie, the Dr. Mary Young frees Dr. Leonard Price to help her kill Evil Ernie if they can.  The dead rising and killing people is referred to as the Psycho Plague by the media and the dead start killing everyone they come in contact with, the two doctors get into some gruesome battles with Evil Ernie and his army of zombies, and eventually find away to blow Ernie to pieces and believe the threat has come to an end, all the zombies drop dead with Ernie's demise, but commissioner Stone, the crack head politician finds Ernie's Psycho Button in the debris of the battle and picks it up pricking his finger on the button, and in turn infecting himself with the Psycho Plague.
This is some great reads if you like some sick and twisted story plots with lots of gore and dismemberment.  Would love to see this made into a movie one day.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Best Comic Books EVER   Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 1:52 am

Cool thread. I was never really a comic book guy but I've always admired the artwork involved.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Best Comic Books EVER   Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 9:34 am

I had the first issue of Evil Ernie years ago. When I sold my collection in the late 90s I got some pretty good coin for it if memory serves.

The guy who created that series (Brian Pulido) directed a low budget horror flick called "The Graves" a couple of years ago. It wasn't very good, but just like his Lady Death/Evil Ernie comics, there was lots of gore and cleavage.

Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Best Comic Books EVER   Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 9:03 pm

Hmm, I'll have to check that flick out, looks cheezy but gory.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Best Comic Books EVER   Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 6:41 am

Had finally got around to watching "The Graves", gosh like a couple months back, very cheesy movie but the dude running around with a pig nose on trying to kill the chicks was mildly amusing. My wife kept asking me "why are we watching this?". Still would like to see Evil Ernie hit the big screen if done properly it would be one bad ass flick.
Have been watching a lot of old school cartoons and was telling my old lady that with the technology they have now a days cartoons like "Thundarr the Barbarian" and "The Herculoids" would be cool live action with monsters all CGI make over, but then again it would have to be done right, not like the Bay rapeings of the Transformers and the cheesy G.I. Joe movies.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Best Comic Books EVER   Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 8:13 pm

Man, I wish that I could have afforded to buy comics more when I was young... Times were lean growing up.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Best Comic Books EVER   Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 6:39 am

I know what you mean man, a lot of my collection were swipe jobs, while my friends were stealing Hustler and Penthouse I was pocketing Batman and Spiderman comics. I must have caught the puberty train late. Shit now I just download torrents of old school comics that you can't just go out and buy, I got years worth of stuff to read.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Best Comic Books EVER   Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 11:45 pm

That might be the route I'll have to take man.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Comic Books EVER   Best Comic Books EVER - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Comic Books EVER
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Workshop :: Stairway To The Stars :: The DRIVE-IN-
Jump to: