The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jimi Hendrix' personal record collection

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Jimi Hendrix' personal record collection Empty
PostSubject: Jimi Hendrix' personal record collection   Jimi Hendrix' personal record collection I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 4:33 pm

Great blog post (a friend of mine from another board wrote it)

http://jasobrecht.com/jimi-hendrixs-personal-record-collection/

I really liked this section:

Jimi’s taste in jazz leaned toward the progressive: Wes Montgomery’s A Day in the Life, Jimmy Smith and Wes Montgomery’s The Dynamic Duo, Jaki Byard’s Freedom Together and Sunshine of My Soul, the Free Spirits’ Out of Sight and Sound with Larry Coryell, Acker Bilk’s Lansdowne Folio, the Roland Kirk Quartet’s Rip, Rig and Panic, and the Charles Lloyd Quartet’s Journey Within.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix' personal record collection   Jimi Hendrix' personal record collection I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 10:25 pm

Pretty cool, he had a really eclectic taste.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix' personal record collection   Jimi Hendrix' personal record collection I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 11:53 pm

That he did, DC and it showed especially on tracks like 'Third Stone From The Sun', 'South Saturn Delta' and 'Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)' to name a few.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix' personal record collection   Jimi Hendrix' personal record collection I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 12:12 am

Once you start digging into the Dagger Records releases (Hear My Music, The Baggy's Rehearsal Tapes, etc), that's where you can really hear Hendrix' influences on full display.

There is literally hours of instrumental cuts strewn throughout those albums and the box sets, alot of improv, which brings some of the jazz stuff more clearly to the front.

(there is actually more jazz influence when Mitchell is behind the kit, he basically sounds like he was doing an Elvin Jones thing, just bringing it to the rock context)

Hendrix was really just starting to get into jazz heavily when he passed away.

Too bad the album with Miles Davis didn't happen...

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix' personal record collection   Jimi Hendrix' personal record collection I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 12:20 am

Man, I've been meaning to get the Dagger Records stuff but with so much stuff coming from the Hendrix vaults I can't keep up! After reading your comments on them I am really jonesing for them now.

Man, a Hendrix/Miles album woulda made Love Devotion Surrender look like a second rate effort! And LDS is great!
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix' personal record collection   Jimi Hendrix' personal record collection I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 1:46 am

Hear My Music and Morning Symphony Ideas are both all-instrumental releases from Dagger Records...and the first two I would get (in that order too).

Back to top Go down
Shawn

Shawn

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix' personal record collection   Jimi Hendrix' personal record collection I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 9:23 am

Very interesting blog...
Back to top Go down
manny

manny

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix' personal record collection   Jimi Hendrix' personal record collection I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 9:40 am

Thanks for sharing this stuff, excellent article, and I also need to get those Dagger Records releases, I already have 40 Hendrix releases on CD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix' personal record collection   Jimi Hendrix' personal record collection I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jimi Hendrix' personal record collection
Page 1 of 1