The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?

Go down 
+7
chewie
MetalGuy71
gershom
theJOKERiv
Shawn
Akeldama
S.D.
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Which Ozzy solo album do you like best?
Blizzard Of Ozz
favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_vote_lcap0%favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Diary Of A Madman
favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_vote_lcap60%favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_vote_rcap
 60% [ 6 ]
Speak Of The Devil (live)
favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_vote_lcap0%favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Bark At The Moon
favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_vote_lcap30%favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_vote_rcap
 30% [ 3 ]
The Ultimate Sin
 0% [ 0 ]
Tribute
 0% [ 0 ]
No Rest For The Wicked
 0% [ 0 ]
No More Tears
favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_vote_lcap10%favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_vote_rcap
 10% [ 1 ]
Live & Loud (live)
 0% [ 0 ]
Ozzmosis
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? Empty
PostSubject: favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?   favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 3:58 pm

This poll doesn't contain all of his solo albums, it stops pre-2000.

Tell us why you dig that particular album if possible.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?   favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 4:03 pm

Diary, even though Randy said it was rushed the overdubs he did were perfect and not cut and paste. His quitar work was not quite as flashy as on the debut but it was more intricate and meaty. The lyrical content was darker and more my style. Diary boasts some of the best rhythn guitar work ever, hands down.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?   favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 4:12 pm

Diary is great, SATO is my favorite Randy performance...and that was just the scratch "guide solo", pretty amazing.

I voted for "Bark At The Moon". That vote only applies to the original LP mix of that album (or the European CD release).

Jake E. Lee is still my favorite "80's guitarist", something about his rhythmic style and attack has always blew me away. If you listen to the riffs on "Now You See It, Now You Don't" and "Rock 'n' Roll Rebel" you'll see what I mean. Ballsy as HELL.

I love Randy, though I prefer the live recordings than his studio work.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?   favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 4:33 pm

My eldest bro says the same thing about Jake E. Lee when we "argue" Randy vs Jake, he even references those same two songs especially the latter.

Lee was the ideal 80s guitarist though, better than the rest as far as his style goes.
Back to top Go down
Shawn

Shawn

PostSubject: Re: favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?   favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 4:39 pm

Diary Of A Madman

Just love every song, the vibe, the tones, everything...fantastic album. Blizzard is a close second, then Bark & Sin...
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?   favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 4:56 pm

Shawn D. wrote:
Diary is great, SATO is my favorite Randy performance...and that was just the scratch "guide solo", pretty amazing.

I voted for "Bark At The Moon". That vote only applies to the original LP mix of that album (or the European CD release).

Jake E. Lee is still my favorite "80's guitarist", something about his rhythmic style and attack has always blew me away. If you listen to the riffs on "Now You See It, Now You Don't" and "Rock 'n' Roll Rebel" you'll see what I mean. Ballsy as HELL.

I love Randy, though I prefer the live recordings than his studio work.

How does that sound? Bark is prob my fav Ozzy album
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?   favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 5:01 pm

theJOKERiv wrote:

How does that sound? Bark is prob my fav Ozzy album

It sounds like it should. All the US CD releases has tweaks done to them and none of them sound like the LP I remember from my youth. They even went through and completely changed the intro to "Centre Of Eternity", I was appalled so I searched out this version.

Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?   favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 10:41 am

Had to go with Bark at the Moon, got a lot of sentimental reasons, it's the first solo Ozzy I bought as a kid and was all my own, and I played it to death. Diary of a Madman is also an all time fave of mine. It's interesting that everyone is split half and half on these two albums.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?   favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 10:58 am

Almost went with Blizzard because that was one of the first albums I bought in the new "cd" format, but instead voted for No More Tears.

I bought it as a new release, on cassette, and played the ever-loving shit out of it on my Sony Walkman riding the subway to and from college. It was also a timing thing. It was an album of "my generation", not the stuff older peers were listening to, if that makes sense.

I also think that was an end of an era for Ozzy. No album since then has lived up to expectations or received as much airplay as that album for me.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?   favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 11:13 am

I can understand that reaction to No More Tears, though to me it was near the end of the "metal era" for me. I was quickly becoming bored with the genre and had started searching for other types of music to listen to.

A good album, but I considered "Bark At The Moon" era to belong to "my generation". Which is funny considering we're the same age.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?   favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 11:29 am

Unfortunatley, I didn't have the benefit of older siblings to turn me onto music. My dad's record collection stopped being cool around 1970. After marriage, it was all Carpenters, ABBA and Barry Manilow.

It wasn't until I hit high school in '85 that I started learning about all things hard rock and heavy metal. And even then, it wasn't until 1987's Appetite for Destruction that things really clicked for me.

No More Tears was the first Ozzy album that I bought new, so for me, it was like "This album is for me, not that older stuff that has been out for years". I was playing catch-up with so many older albums of the classics, not just Ozzy, but this one was one I got "new", so it's always gonna have a special place in my music history.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?   favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 11:35 am

That makes complete sense. I didn't have "any" siblings, but I did have friends with older siblings.

The Number Of The Beast was the album I purchased new that really "floored me" and sent me searching out all things metallic. Then that continued in 1983 with purchases of Shout At The Devil, Another Perfect Day, Live Evil, Born Again, etc.

So I just started earlier.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?   favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 2:25 am

None of my siblings were into Metal, Jazz, Reggae,etc so I discovered a lot of music on my own as well.

I heve never gotten into No More Tears, aside from "Mama", I can't think of a song I like on that album.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?   favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 8:23 am

Road To Nowhere is a good song man, I always used to like that, felt I could relate to those lyrics. But No More Tears has some other great jams too, I Don't Wanna Change the World, A.V.H. , Hellraiser, all good tracks, I wouldn't say it's Ozzy at his best but is is pretty damn good.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?   favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 2:31 pm

Akeldama wrote:
None of my siblings were into Metal, Jazz, Reggae,etc so I discovered a lot of music on my own as well.

I am the firstborn, so I had to do the same.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?   favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 3:39 pm

chewie wrote:
Akeldama wrote:

I am the firstborn, so I had to do the same.

All my bros turned me on to TONS of music but most of it was middle of the road popular stuff.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?   favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 12:41 pm

Hmm, it took me awhile to answer this because to be honest, I'm so fucking sick of Ozzy's solo career I really wasn't in the mood to listen to any of it to decide. In the end, Diary Of A Madman is probably still my favorite. Over The Mountain, Flying High Again, S.A.T.O....oh hell, I like every song on the record.

Bark At The Moon would be my second choice, closely followed by Blizzard. I also really liked Speak Of The Devil when I first got into Ozzy, but once I heard the original Sabbath tracks, haven't listened to that record since. Good choice on No More Tears MG. I dug that one a good bit when it first made it's way into my stereo.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?   favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 12:45 pm

The Ultimate Sin isn't that bad either, only the over-slick production (and a couple stupid tracks) dragging it down a few notches.

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?   favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 12:49 pm

S.D. wrote:
The Ultimate Sin isn't that bad either, only the over-slick production (and a couple stupid tracks) dragging it down a few notches.

I pretty much like all the records up to Ozzmosis. Oversaturation just keeps me from spinning most of this material. Oddly enough, the only album that didn't do a whole lot for me when I first heard it was No Rest For The Wicked, even with the slick production, I much prefer The Ultimate Sin and Bark, Jake's just a better player to my ears.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?   favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 1:15 pm

No Rest For The Wicked dated almost immediately, it just sounds very "forced".

No More Tears had the last few remaining memorable Ozzy songs on it...and most of those were written by Lemmy.

Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?   favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 1:26 pm

Yeah! Zakk Wylde and his squeal only go so far...........

Especially, since John Sykes(he's the first to come to mind) was doing it before him. Just not in......

every.....

single......

song......
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?   favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 1:30 pm

S.D. wrote:
No Rest For The Wicked dated almost immediately, it just sounds very "forced".

No More Tears had the last few remaining memorable Ozzy songs on it...and most of those were written by Lemmy.

That's funny, 3 out of the 5 tracks I really like from that record are the ones Lemmy co-wrote. Never knew that before, outside of Mama I'm Coming Home. The songs I like from No Rest (aside from Crazy Babies), are actually played better on that live EP Just Say Ozzy (Geezer playing bass helps quite a bit too), so I've never actually bought it.
Back to top Go down
manny

manny

PostSubject: Re: favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?   favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Diary of a Madman, love every song and Rhoads was incredible!
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?   favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 3:08 pm

I find it interesting that not a single vote has been placed for Blizzard Of Ozz.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?   favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 8:48 pm

S.D. wrote:
I find it interesting that not a single vote has been placed for Blizzard Of Ozz.

I thought the same thing. However, as good as the Blizzard is, Diary is just a better album. It took me awhile to decide between the two.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?   favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

favorite "classic era" Ozzy Osbourne solo album?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next